Greece › Athens › Hotels › New Hotel Review
by Santorini Dave • Updated: December 14, 2021
• Location: Great central location between Plaka and Syntagma Square
• Hotel website: designhotels.com
• Hotel phone: +30 21 0327 3000
• Check prices on Booking.com
New Hotel is a creatively-renovated design hotel in central Athens.
Distinctive and modern, New Hotel’s unique interior features salvaged building materials from the former Olympic Palace Hotel, repurposed into walls, furniture, and innovative artwork. Guest rooms have sleek design and decor, floor-to-ceiling windows, and are outfitted with high-end features like bamboo floors, electronic blackout shades, and brass bathroom fixtures. The Penthouse suite is particularly amazing, with a large living room, furnished patio, and incredible Acropolis views. New Hotel also has a fitness center and a rooftop bar/restaurant with wonderful views over Athens. Centrally-located near Syntagma Square, within walking distance of most major attractions.
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Hotels in Athens
- Best Family Hotels in Athens
- Best Cheap Hotels in Athens
- Athens Airport Hotels
New Hotel – Location
Great central Athens location near Syntagma Square, excellent for sightseeing, transit, and great bars and restaurants.
- Address: Filellinon 16
- Nearest Metro: Syntagma (4-minute walk) Metro Line 3 runs from the airport to Athens city center stations, including Syntagma, departing every 30 minutes from 5:30am until about midnight. The trip takes 45 minutes and costs €10 (24€ for groups of 3). The airport metro station is a 5 to 10-minute walk from baggage claim; elevators are available.
- Taxi: Airport taxis to central Athens are charged at a flat rate of €38 through the day and €60 from midnight to 5am.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €40, but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
New Hotel – The Basics
- Ages: New Hotel welcomes guests of all ages. Baby cots and connecting rooms are available. The hotel restaurant offers a children’s menu. Professional babysitting services can be arranged through the concierge in advance.
- Pet Policy: Pets are not allowed.
- View: The Penthouse Suite and rooftop bar/restaurant have unobstructed views over Athens to the Acropolis.
- Parking: No on-site parking. Parking is available in a nearby garage for €20 per day.
- Nice Perks: Electronic blackout shades, art book library.
- When to Book: Athens’ best hotels book out far in advance, especially during high season travel. For best availability and rates, book two to three months ahead.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 21 0327 3000
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: designhotels.com
New Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: New Sense Spa offers a massage, steam room, and jacuzzi; by appointment only.
- Fitness Center: Small fitness center, open 24 hours.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
New Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Art Lounge rooftop restaurant and bar serves Greek and international dishes, with unobstructed Acropolis views.
- Lounge/Bar: Art House rooftop bar has an excellent wine list and great cocktails.
- Breakfast: Complimentary breakfast is served to guests’ rooms.
- Room Service: None, aside from breakfast.
New Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard • Superior • Superior Plus • Studio • Junior Suite • Penthouse Suite • List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: New hotel is a non-smoking hotel. Smoking is allowed outdoors only.
- Wheelchair Accessible Rooms: Yes
- Best Room: The Penthouse Suite at New Hotel offers a separate seating and dining areas, a marble bathroom with shower and soaking tub, and a large furnished balcony with 360° views of Lycabettus Hill, the Acropolis, and the Hellenic Parliament building.
New Hotel – What’s Nearby?
- Avocado: Lovely vegan and vegetarian restaurant focuses on local, seasonal, sustainable, and organic dishes full of rich flavors. 1-minute walk.
- Evgenia: Authentic, and non-touristy family-run Greek taverna serving homemade, traditional dishes featuring seasonal ingredients. Also known as Paradosiako Cafeneon. 2-minute walk
- Tazza All Day Bistro & Wine Bar: Flamboyant bistro for Mediterranean-Greek bites, wine, and cocktails – and a breakfast and Sunday brunch. 5-minute walk.
- Coco’s: The best ice cream in Athens. 5-minute walk
- Melina Mercouri Café: Excellent Greek meze, traditional dishes, and desserts, and a mini-museum dedicated to Melina Merkouri, the famous Greek actress, singer, politician, and activist. 5-minute walk
- Psarras Taverna: Traditional taverna and Athens’ most romantic restaurant. Indoor and outdoor seating, reservations recommended for dinner. 6-minute walk.
- Geros Tou Moria: The best traditional Greek food in the city. Reservations recommended for late dinner service, when the music and dancing begins. 7-minute walk.
Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Brettos: Cozy bar and distillery offering a wide variety of spirits and cocktails, and a Plaka landmark since 1909. 5-minute walk.
- The 7 Jokers: Casual, rock-n-roll bar offering creative cocktails, draft beers, and an excellent liquor selection. 6-minute walk.
- Heteroclito: Athens’ best wine bar, highlighting native Greek varietals, with a special emphasis on natural wines. 6-minute walk.
- Alexander’s Bar: Classic cocktails and fine spirits bar at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Forbes calls it the world’s best hotel bar. 6-minute walk.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Traditional Food Market: Small shop selling local food, wine, and beauty products, as well as a decent selection of grocery staples. 4-minute walk.
- National Garden: 3-minute walk
- Changing of the Guard at Hellenic Parliament: 5-minute walk
- National Historical Museum: 7-minute walk
- Temple of Olympian Zeus: 7-minute walk
- Museum of the City of Athens: 9-minute walk
- Acropolis Museum: 10-minute walk
- Ancient Agora of Athens: 12-minute walk
- Benaki Museum of Greek Culture: 13-minute walk
- Museum of Cycladic Art: 15-minute walk
- Acropolis and Parthenon: 15-minute walk
New Hotel – The Hotel
- Athens Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Athens
- Athens Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Santorini
- Best Hotels in Corfu
- Best Hotels in Crete
- Best Hotels in Folegandros
- Best Hotels in Ios
- Best Hotels in Kefalonia
- Best Hotels in Kos
- Best Hotels in Milos
- Best Hotels in Mykonos
- Best Hotels in Naxos
- Best Hotels in Paros
- Best Hotels in Rhodes
- Best Hotels in Serifos
- Best Hotels in Sifnos
- Best Hotels in Skiathos
- Best Hotels in Skopelos
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter