Hotel Grande Bretagne is the best luxury hotel in Athens.
With an elegant and majestic lobby and heated rooftop swimming pool (with pool bar), the Grande Bretagne also features a beautiful indoor pool, elegant fine dining atrium restaurant, rooftop bar and grill with spectacular views, dedicated cigar lounge, well-appointed fitness center, and world-class spa. Its hotel bar was voted Best in the World by Forbes Magazine. Guest rooms and suites have marble bathrooms with rainfall showers, and are furnished with luxury textiles and museum-quality antiques; some add standalone soaking or hydrotherapy tubs and floor-to-ceiling windows with unobstructed views to the Acropolis and Mount Lycabettus. Located on Syntagma Square, directly across from the Hellenic Parliament building and within walking distance of all of Athens’ major attractions.
Hotel Grande Bretagne – Video
Hotel Grande Bretagne – Location
Great central Athens location directly on Syntagma Square, across from the Hellenic Parliament building and within walking distance of all of Athens’ major museums and attractions.
- Address: 1 Vasileos Georgiou, Syntagma Square
- Nearest Metro: Syntagma (3-minute walk). Metro Line 3 runs from the airport directly to Syntagma station, departing every 30 minutes from 5:30am until about midnight. The trip takes 45 minutes and costs €10 (24€ for groups of 3). The metro station is a 5 to 10-minute walk from baggage claim; elevators are available.
- Taxi: Airport taxis to central Athens are charged at a flat rate of €38 through the day and €60 from midnight to 5am.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €40, but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
Hotel Grande Bretagne – The Basics
- Ages: All ages are welcome. The Penthouse Suite and Grand Deluxe Suite each have two bedrooms. Children’s menus are offered in all restaurants, and cribs, disposable bottles, high chairs, and rollaway beds are available upon request. Babysitting services may be arranged in advance with the hotel concierge.
- Pet Policy: No pets are allowed, but service animals are welcome.
- View: Guest room views are of the hotel courtyard or the city. Many higher-floor city view rooms have excellent unobstructed views of the Acropolis or Lycabettus Hill.
- Parking: Off-site parking is available for a fee of €10 hourly, or €32 per day.
- Nice Perks: Complimentary bottled water, Gilchrist & Soames or Acqua di Parma toiletries, butler service (6th and 7th floor rooms)
- Phone: +30 21 0333 0000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: marriott.com
- When to Book: Athens’ best hotels book out far in advance, especially during high season travel. For best availability and rates, book two to three months ahead.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
Hotel Grande Bretagne – Amenities
- Pool: Two pools. The indoor heated pool of the GB Spa is 65 sq. meters and surrounded by white marble walls and flooring, reminiscent of ancient Roman baths; open year-round. The 7th-floor outdoor rooftop pool is 50 sq. meters and has pool-bar service and unobstructed views of Lycabettus Hill; open May to October.
- Spa: The full-service Hotel Grande Bretagne Spa is widely-considered to be the best in Athens. In addition to skin and body treatments, the spa offers services such as self-tanning, makeup, waxing, and manicure/pedicure.
- Fitness Center: State-of-the-art fitness center with free weights, treadmills, stationary bicycles, and elliptical machines. Available to hotel guests only.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools. Some suites have jetted hydrotherapy tubs.
Hotel Grande Bretagne – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: GB Roof Garden Restaurant & Bar features delicious Mediterranean fine dining, an award-winning wine list, and uninterrupted views of the Acropolis, Lycabettus hill, the Hellenic Parliament (smart casual dress code, reservations necessary) • the elegant Winter Garden indoor courtyard restaurant offers European breakfast, light lunch, high tea, and dinner (smart casual dress code) • GB Pool Grill & Bar serves Greek cuisine and light and healthy meals with amazing Mt. Lycabettus views (May to October only)
- Lounge/Bar: Alexander’s Bar has an exceptional cocktail program and an atraordinary selection of premium spirits • Alexander’s Lounge is a cozy and elegant cigar bar located in the hotel’s inner garden.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. An American-style breakfast buffet is offered daily in the GB Roof Garden restaurant for an additional fee.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Hotel Grande Bretagne – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic Courtyard View Room (king or 2 twin) • Deluxe City or Acropolis View Room (king or 2 twin) • One-bedroom Courtyard View Junior Suite (king) • One-bedroom Courtyard View Deluxe Suite (king) • One-bedroom City or Acropolis View Grand Suite (king) • One-Bedroom Executive Acropolis View Suite • Two-bedroom City View Grand Deluxe Suite • List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Guest rooms at Hotel Grande Bretagne are non-smoking only.
- Wheelchair Accessible Rooms: The hotel offers wheelchair accessible rooms with accesible routes, 32” wide doorways, grab bars, adjustable shower wands, and lowered outlets.
- Best Room: The opulent one-bedroom, two-bathroom Royal Suite is located on the 5th floor with amazing unobstructed Acropolis views; dining room with table that seats up to 14, media room, and sumptuous living room with grand piano.
Hotel Grande Bretagne – What’s Nearby?
- La Greche: The best gelato near Syntagma. 5-minute walk
- Tazza All Day Bistro & Wine Bar: Flamboyant bistro for Mediterranean-Greek bites, wine, and cocktails – and a breakfast and Sunday brunch. 6-minute walk
- Avocado: Lovely vegan and vegetarian restaurant focuses on local, seasonal, sustainable, and organic dishes full of rich flavors. 6-minute walk
- Evgenia: Authentic, and non-touristy family-run Greek taverna serving homemade, traditional dishes featuring seasonal ingredients. Also known as Paradosiako Cafeneon. 7-minute walk
Nearby Bars and Breweries
- The 7 Jokers: Casual, rock-n-roll bar offering creative cocktails, draft beers, and an excellent liquor selection. 4-minute walk
- Heteroclito: Athens’ best wine bar, highlighting native Greek varietals, with a special emphasis on natural wines. 7-minute walk
- Brettos: Cozy bar and distillery offering a wide variety of spirits and cocktails, and a Plaka landmark since 1909. 10-minute walk
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Changing of the Guard at Hellenic Parliament: 1-minute walk
- National Historical Museum: 4-minute walk
- National Garden: 4-minute walk
- Benaki Museum of Greek Culture: 6-minute walk
- Museum of the City of Athens: 8-minute walk
- Museum of Cycladic Art: 8-minute walk
- Temple of Olympian Zeus: 10-minute walk
- Athens War Museum: 11-minute walk
- Byzantine and Christian Museum: 11-minute walk
- Acropolis Museum: 15-minute walk
- Acropolis and Parthenon: 20-minute walk
Hotel Grande Bretagne – The Hotel
All Athens Hotel Reviews
- Athens Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Athens
- Best Hotels in Santorini
- Best Hotels in Corfu
- Best Hotels in Crete
- Best Hotels in Folegandros
- Best Hotels in Ios
- Best Hotels in Kefalonia
- Best Hotels in Kos
- Best Hotels in Milos
- Best Hotels in Mykonos
- Best Hotels in Naxos
- Best Hotels in Paros
- Best Hotels in Rhodes
- Best Hotels in Serifos
- Best Hotels in Sifnos
- Best Hotels in Skiathos
- Best Hotels in Skopelos