Our Favorite Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam Hotels for Families – Where to Stay
- My favorite neighborhood in Amsterdam is the Jordaan and the Linden is an excellent family hotel in that neighborhood. But anything located within the Singelgracht canal – which roughly divides central Amsterdam from outer Amsterdam – is convenient and family-friendly.
- Best Luxury Hotel for Families: Conservatorium
- Best Midrange Hotel for Families: Linden
- Best Cheap Hotel for Families: Hotel CC
- For most families the hotel (great location, good rates, friendly staff, lots of nearby restaurants) in the Jordaan is probably the best choice.
- The NEMO Science Museum is one of the best kids/science museums we’ve ever been to. Highly recommended.
- The I Amsterdam City Pass is excellent value (especially the 72 hour version). And there are many excellent Amsterdam tours for families.
- Vondelpark is the best park in Amsterdam for kids. There’s a good playground and lots of space to run and wander. It’s walking distance or a short tram ride from most hotels in central Amsterdam.
- Renting bikes to get around the city is lots of fun. MacBike has a large selection and many locations. Bike City is my favorite and good if you don’t want “tourist bikes” with advertising painted all over them.
- Great Night Out: Get pizza from De Pizzabakkers and beer from Cafe Brandon next door. Sit on the canal with the locals and eat and drink into the evening. Super fun.
- Highly Recommended: Do an overnight bike trip to Edam then take the ferry from Volendam and return through Marken. It’s a perfect length for a family with kids 8 or older. The Hotel & Restaurant De Fortuna, beautifully situated on an Edam canal is close to idyllic. Rent bikes from Bike City in Amsterdam.
The 9 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in Amsterdam
1. Conservatorium – Oud-Zuid • luxury
Hotel phone: +31 20 570 0000
Heritage, luxury hotel boasting the city’s largest wellness center (includes a pool with dedicated hours for children) and fantastic local and Asian-fusion restaurants. The hotel offers family-friendly suites that comfortably sleep families of 5 or more. The Set Family Adventure package (summer only) adds kids’ amenities, late checkout, daily breakfast, and tickets to NEMO Science Museum. Wonderful location near the Van Gogh Museum, Vondelpark, The Concertgebouw, the Rijksmuseum.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Conservatorium
2. Andaz Prinsengracht – West Canal Belt • luxury
Hotel phone: +31 20 523 1234
Whimsical, luxury hotel with a wellness center, creative Dutch restaurant and bar, and lovely setting on Prinsengracht Canal. Rooms and suites are filled with fanciful artwork, some with private terraces and garden or canal views; suites add a separate living area. Family-friendly perks include a 50% discount on second rooms for children under 12, a kids’ minibar, babysitting service, free bicycles, and free 90-minute bike tours on Sundays. Fantastic location just outside the Nine Streets shopping district, near the trendy Jordaan neighborhood, and the city center.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Andaz Prinsengracht
3. Pulitzer – West Canal Belt • luxury
Hotel phone: +31 20 523 5235
The best luxury hotel for families in Amsterdam. The Pulitzer offers split-level family rooms, a 2-bedroom split-level family suite with canal views, and family connecting rooms. Perks include Family Sundays at the restaurant Jansz with kids’ menus, nannies, and activities; family packages with kids’ amenities and tickets to NEMO Science Museum; and their Very Important Kids program with a rabbit plush toy, welcome treats, and a hotel treasure hunt. The concierge can also create bespoke packages for families with activities curated for their particular interests. Amenities include two delicious restaurants, a stylish cocktail lounge, and a private boat. Beautifully located in the upscale Nine Streets area of the West Canal Belt just a short walk from to Anne Frank House, the Royal Palace, and Westerkerk.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Pulitzer
4. Linden – Jordaan • midrange
Hotel phone: +31 20 622 1460
Charming hotel set in an 18th-century, flatiron building in the hip Jordaan district. The Lush Triple is a quirky loft space with angled walls, while the Velvet Family room is the largest and comfortably sleeps a family of 4. Great walkable location near Noordermarkt, Anne Frank House, and local restaurants, including the famous apple pie of Winkel 43.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Linden
5. NH Amsterdam – City Center • midrange
Hotel phone: +31 20 420 4545
4-star hotel on the Singel canal, offering triple and quadruple rooms plus connecting options for families. The hotel boasts a fitness center, complimentary late check out on Sundays, a lovely bistro, and the half-restaurant/half-museum Restaurant D’Vijff Vlieghen. Just a short walk to Dam Square, the New Church, and Anne Frank House.
• Hotel website • Check prices for NH Amsterdam City Centre
6. WestCord Art Hotel – Amsterdam-West • midrange
Hotel phone: +31 20 410 9670
Cheery, art-filled hotel with an outdoor swimming pool (open in summer) and a brasserie, serving international fare highlighting seasonal ingredients. Quad Deluxe Rooms have 4 single beds in 2 rooms separated by a door. Quiet location northeast of Westerpark, about 10-minutes by bus to the city center.
• Hotel website • Check prices for WestCord Art Hotel
7. Max Brown Canal District – Western Canal Belt • midrange
Hotel phone: +31 20 522 2345
Cozy, quirky boutique hotel set in 3 historic canal houses with an honesty bar, great coffee, and super comfy beds. The Extra Large Canal View Loft sleeps a family of 4 in an open-plan room with a sofa bed. Wonderful location in the Western Canal Ring near Centraal Station and Noordermarkt.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Max Brown Canal District
8. XO Hotels Park West – Sloterdijk • midrange
Hotel phone: +31 20 262 9260
Contemporary hotel a little off the main tourist track, sitting in a quiet neighborhood at the western tip of Westerpark. The Quadruple Room can be booked with 4 single beds or 2 singles and a double bed. A hearty, reasonably priced buffet breakfast is available daily. Located in quiet neighborhood but easy access by tram to central Amsterdam.
• Hotel website • Check prices for XO Hotels Park West
9. Hotel CC – City Center • budget
Hotel phone: +31 20 527 0027
Affordable hotel in a historic canal house in the Medieval Center just steps from the Old Church and Centraal Station (note that it’s also across the canal from the Red Light District). Cozy triple and quad rooms accommodate families of 3 or 4, all with single beds. Breakfast is available but not included in the room rates.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel CC
More Hotels for Families
Amsterdam hotels with large quadruple or family rooms.
Great location with large family rooms and larger connection family rooms.
Quadruple room with 4 single beds and canal view.
- Catalonia Vondel
Large lofts and two-bedroom apartments with full kitchen sleep family of four.
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide