AthensWas Hotel is the best hotel in Athens’ busy and central Plaka neighborhood – our favorite area to stay.
This fantastic boutique hotel is located on a popular pedestrianized street that leads directly to the entrance of the Acropolis. The guest rooms are spacious, stylish, comfortable, and modern in design; All feature private verandas. Suites’ balconies are larger and furnished with sun loungers, with spectacular views over the city’s best landmarks. There’s a ground-floor restaurant with seating indoors, on a private patio, or along the pedestrian promenade, as well as a fabulous rooftop restaurant with an open kitchen, garden balcony, and panoramic views.
AthensWas Hotel – Video
AthensWas Hotel – Location
Excellent central location in the heart of the bustling pedestrianized Plaka neighborhood.
- Address: Dionysiou Areopagitou 5
- Nearest Metro: Acropoli (2-minute walk), Syntagma (9-minute walk). Metro Line 3 runs from the airport to Syntagma station, departing every 30 minutes from 5:30am until about midnight. The trip takes 45 minutes and costs €10 (24€ for groups of 3). The metro station is a 5 to 10-minute walk from baggage claim; elevators are available.
- Taxi: Airport taxis to central Athens are charged at a flat rate of €38 through the day and €60 from midnight to 5am.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €40, but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
AthensWas Hotel – The Basics
- Ages: All ages are welcome, and children can stay in any accommadation outside of the Deluxe Rooms. Cribs and rollaway beds can be accommodated in most rooms. Connecting rooms are available. Professional babysitting services can be arranged in advance through the concierge.
- Pet Policy: No pets are allowed.
- View: Rooms and suites on higher floors have excellent views of the Acropolis, Mt. Lycabettus, and other prime attractions.
- Parking: No parking.
- Nice Perks: Jogging maps offered, Korres bath products, In-room Nespresso coffee machines.
- Phone: +30 21 0924 9954
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: athenswas.gr
- When to Book: Athens’ best hotels book out far in advance, especially during high season travel. For best availability and rates, book two to three months ahead.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
AthensWas Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa. In-room treatments can be arranged through the hotel.
- Fitness Center: Small but modern fitness center, open 24-hours.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
AthensWas Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Two on-site restaurants: Sense is a rooftop fine-dining restaurant and cocktail bar serving modern interpretations of traditional Greek cuisine. Indoor and outdoor seating is available, with excellent views of the Acropolis, especially in the evenings. Reservations recommended. • Promenade offers upscale casual cuisine and drinks on the hotel’s ground floor, with indoor, garden, and sidewalk seating.
- Lounge/Bar: No hotel bar, but all manner of drinks are served in both of the hotel’s restaurants.
- Breakfast: A la carte breakfast is served in Promenade restaurant or to guest rooms from 7-11am. Complimentary with some bookings.
- Room Service: Full room service menu is available 24 hours a day.
AthensWas Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic Double Room • Deluxe Double Room • Executive Suite • Hellenic Suite • Residence Suite • Superior Deluxe Suite • AthensWas Suite • Hellenic Suite • Hellenic Grand Suite • List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: None. Smoking is allowed in outdoor areas only.
- Wheelchair Accessible Rooms: There is a small elevator and many stairs. This hotel would not be suitable for guests needing wheelchairs.
- Best Room: The two-bedroom Hellenic Grand Suite is spread over 110 square meters, across the hotel’s entire 6th floor, and sleeps up to five guests. Its large, furnished balcony has incredible views of the Acropolis, Mount Lycabettus, and all of Athens’ top attractions.
AthensWas Hotel – What’s Nearby?
- Coco’s: The best ice cream in Athens. 4-minute walk.
- Psarras Taverna: Traditional taverna and Athens’ most romantic restaurant. Indoor and outdoor seating, reservations recommended for dinner. 6-minute walk.
- Melina Mercouri Café: Excellent Greek meze, traditional dishes, and desserts, and a mini-museum dedicated to Melina Merkouri, the famous Greek actress, singer, politician, and activist. 6-minute walk
- Geros Tou Moria: The best traditional Greek food in the city, though touristy. Reservations recommended for late dinner service, when the music and dancing begins. 8-minute walk.
- Evgenia: : Authentic and non-touristy family-run Greek taverna serving homemade, traditional dishes featuring seasonal ingredients. Also known as Paradosiako Cafeneon. 8-minute walk.
Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Brettos: Cozy bar and distillery offering a wide variety of spirits and cocktails, and a Plaka landmark since 1909. 4-minute walk
- Heteroclito: Athens’ best wine bar, highlighting native Greek varietals, with a special emphasis on natural wines. 9-minute walk
- Alexanders’s Bar: Classic cocktails and fine spirits bar at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Forbes calls it the world’s best hotel bar. 12-minute walk
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Acropolis Museum: 2-minute walk
- Temple of Olympian Zeus: 2-minute walk
- Hadrian’s Arch: 2-minute walk
- National Garden: 7-minute walk
- Benizelos Mansion: 7-minute walk
- Bath House of the Winds: 8-minute walk
- The Paul and Alexandra Canellopoulos Museum: 10-minute walk
- Man and Tools Museum: 10-minute walk
- Changing of the Guard at Hellenic Parliament: 11-minute walk
- Acropolis and Parthenon: 12-minute walk
AthensWas Hotel – The Hotel
All Athens Hotel Reviews
Athens Travel Guide Best Hotels in Athens Best Hotels in Santorini Best Hotels in Corfu Best Hotels in Crete Best Hotels in Folegandros Best Hotels in Ios Best Hotels in Kefalonia Best Hotels in Kos Best Hotels in Milos Best Hotels in Mykonos Best Hotels in Naxos Best Hotels in Paros Best Hotels in Rhodes Best Hotels in Serifos Best Hotels in Sifnos Best Hotels in Skiathos Best Hotels in Skopelos