- Best Hotels in Naxos
- Best Hotels in Naxos for Familes
- Best Naxos Beach Hotels
- Where to Stay in Naxos
- Best Beaches in Naxos
When is the best time to visit Naxos?
The best time to visit Naxos, Greece, depends on your preferences and interests. Generally, the shoulder seasons of late April to early June and September to early October are the most popular times to visit. During these months, the weather is typically warm and sunny, with fewer crowds and more moderate temperatures compared to the peak summer months of July and August.
In the shoulder seasons, you can expect pleasant weather for sightseeing, exploring the island’s archaeological sites, beaches, and charming villages, as well as engaging in outdoor activities such as hiking and cycling. The sea temperatures are also comfortable for swimming, particularly from June onwards.
The peak summer months of June to August offer the warmest temperatures and the most sunshine, making it the best time for beach holidays, swimming, and water sports. However, this is also the busiest and most expensive time of year, with larger crowds at popular tourist sites and destinations. Naxos is generally less crowded than other popular Greek islands like Mykonos and Santorini, but it can still get busy during the peak season.
If you prefer a more relaxed atmosphere and cooler temperatures, consider visiting Naxos during the off-season, from November to March. The weather during this period can be cooler and more unpredictable, with a higher chance of rain and strong winds, especially from December to February. However, you’ll find fewer tourists, lower prices, and a more authentic experience of the island.
- Best Time to Go to Naxos for Good Weather: Naxos, like all the Greek islands, is warmest between June and September; during this time it is reliably hot and sunny, and the water is warm enough for swimming, sailing, and enjoying Naxos’ excellent beaches. As the sea temperature heats throughout the summer, September can be a great time to swim and sunbathe when the weather is warm, but not as hot. Naxos is often cloudy, windy, and rainy from November to March.
- Best Time for Sightseeing: Travelers who are more interested in mountain hikes, exploring the archaeological ruins at the Temples of Apollo and Demeter, and spending time in the charming remote villages should consider visiting in April, May, September, or October when crowds are thinner and temperatures aren’t quite so hot.
- Best Time for Island Hopping: ferry-hopping around the islands is a highlight of a trip to Greece, and the nearby islands of Paros, Mykonos, and Santorini are easy to reach from Naxos by sea. For most Greek islands, mid-May to early October is best. Santorini has a somewhat longer tourist season than the others, making anytime between late April and early November an excellent time for a visit.
- Best Time for Windsurfing and Kitesurfing: The northern meltemi winds provide ideal windsurfing and kitesurfing conditions all summer long on Naxos, with the most consistency from June to August. The best windsurfing and kitesurfing beach on Naxos (and in all of Greece) is Mikri Vigla, though good conditions are also found at Agios Georgios, Laguna, Plaka, and Agios Prokopios Beaches. Throughout summer, the wind is steadiest and strongest in the early afternoon.
- Best Time for Saving Money in Naxos : Hotels rates on Naxos are cheaper in the shoulder season of April, May, late September and October than they are during the summer months, but transportation, food, and drink prices don’t vary much by season. If you want good weather but cheap hotels then late May to early June, and late September to early October are best.
Naxos Travel Seasons
- High Season (July to early September): The weather is reliably hot and sunny, and tourist crowds are at their peak – but Naxos never sees so many tourists that it’s cramped and unenjoyable. The sea is at its warmest and best for swimming during this time, making it a great time to enjoy the island beaches. Ferries and flights run with the greatest frequency, and hotel rates are higher.
- Shoulder Season (May and June, September and early October): Perfect weather for sightseeing; sunny and warm – but not hot. Most hotels and restaurants will be operating (more so in June and September), though tourist crowds will be thinner. Though the beaches will be just as beautiful, sea temperatures might not be warm enough for swimming in May and October.
- Low Season (late October to April): Cool, cloudy, and rainy weather is common during winter on Naxos. Expect few hotels and restaurants to be open, and for flights and ferries routes to have very limited schedules.
Naxos Weather by Month
- Naxos Weather in April: This is the tail-end of the winter season on Naxos; the weather can be cool and cloudy, but it can also be sunny and wonderful; on very warm years brave visitors might even be swimming. Seasonal businesses are slowly beginning to open up. Around 75% of the restaurants and hotels on the island will be open by the end of this month. Average high temperature: 18.6°C (65.5°F).
- Naxos Weather in May: By mid-month summer is well on its way. Most hotels and restaurants are open, the weather is often sunny and warm, and tourists are beginning to arrive. This is a great time to visit Naxos if you’re not primarily interested in the beaches. Average high temperature: 21.9°C (71.4°F).
- Naxos Weather in June: All tourist businesses are open on Naxos in June, and the weather is excellent – warm and sunny, though not yet unbearably hot. Toward the end of June, sea temperatures have are warm enough for swimming and the northern meltemi winds have arrived – perfect for windsurfing and kitesurfing. Average high temperature: 25.7°C (78.3°F).
- Naxos Weather in July: The weather on Naxos is hottest this month, and also driest. Beaches are active with swimmers, sunbathers, windsurfers and kitesurfers. Travel to Naxos nears its peak toward the end of this month, with heavy tourist crowds enjoying beach bars and the shops and restaurants of Naxos Town. Average high temperature: 26.6°C (79.9°F).
- Naxos in August: Tourism and temperatures remain at their peak on Naxos in August. This continues to be a great time to enjoy the beaches and sea activities; sea temperatures are warmest now, averaging 25.3°C (77.5°F). Plan to hike in the morning before it gets hot, and bring water. Average high temperature: 26.2°C (79.2°F).
- Naxos Weather in September: Tourist crowds thin a bit, but everything is still open, and the weather is still warm and mostly sunny. Sea temps have warmed steadily over the summer, so beach activity remains strong. Average high temperature: 24.6°C (76.3°F).
- Naxos Weather in October: Early October is still tourist season on Naxos, and this is a great time for sightseeing and mountain hikes. Over the first half of the month, sunny and warm beach days are still a possibility, but the weather cools significantly by the end. Average high temperature: 21.4°C (70.5°F).
- Naxos Weather in Winter (November to March): The island is very quiet in winter. Winter weather on Naxos is temperate by northern European standards – the coldest month on Naxos is January, with an average high of 14.3°C (57.7°F). Sunny days are not unusual, but you’re just as likely to see rain, grey skies, and chilly winds. Most hotels and tourist-oriented businesses are closed.
- Naxos or Paros? Which is Better
- Where to Stay in Naxos
- Best Hotels in Naxos
- Best Hotels in Naxos for Families
- Best Naxos Beach Hotels
- Best Beaches on Naxos
- Best Restaurants on Naxos
- Best Naxos Bars and Beach Clubs
- Naxos Travel Videos
- Naxos Travel Maps