King George is an elegant 5-star hotel located right on Syntagma Square in central Athens.
The Saint George features a majestic marble lobby with Murano glass chandeliers and original artwork, a gorgeous restaurant with fantastic views over the city, and an on-site fitness center. Classic guest rooms feature window seats and overlook the hotel’s courtyard. Suites are more spacious, some featuring balconies with views over Syntagma Square to the Acropolis. All are dressed in a classically-elegant but unfussy style, with fine textiles and furnishings. The ninth-floor two-bedroom Penthouse Suite at King George is the best hotel room in Athens, and features a private outdoor swimming pool with amazing Acropolis view and attached dining and sun terrace. The award-winning Tudor Hall restaurant serves modern Greek cuisine in a beautiful setting, with indoor and outdoor view seating. Great central Athens location, directly across from Syntagma Square and the Greek Parliament building, well-connected to transit, and within walking distance of all of Athens’ best cultural attractions.
King George Hotel – Video
King George Hotel – Location
Excellent central Athens location, sitting directly on Syntagma Square, across from the Hellenic Parliament building, well-connected for public transit, and within walking distance of all of Athens’ major museums and attractions.
- Address: 3 Vasileos Georgiou A, Syntagma Square
- Nearest Metro: Syntagma (4-minute walk). Metro Line 3 runs from the airport directly to Syntagma station, departing every 30 minutes from 5:30am until about midnight. The trip takes 45 minutes and costs €10 (24€ for groups of 3). The metro station is a 5 to 10-minute walk from baggage claim; elevators are available.
- Taxi: Airport taxis to central Athens are charged at a flat rate of €38 through the day and €60 from midnight to 5am.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €40, but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
King George Hotel – The Basics
- Ages: All ages are welcome. Tudor Hall restaurant and the hotel room service both have kids’ menu options; and bottles, high chairs, rollaway beds, and bed railings are available upon request. Professional babysitting services can be arranged in advance through the concierge. Connecting rooms are available.
- Pet Policy: Pets are not allowed, though service animals are welcome.
- View: Great views over Athens, especially from higher floors where there are unobstructed views of the Acropolis.
- Parking: Off-site parking is available for a fee of €10 hourly, or €32 per day.
- Nice Perks: Complimentary bottled water, Papoutsanis or Moulton Brown bath products, Plane-to-room luggage transport (extra fee)
- Phone: +30 21 0322 2210
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: marriott.com
- When to Book: Athens’ best hotels book out far in advance, especially during high season travel. For best availability and rates, book two to three months ahead.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
King George Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: No shared pool. The Penthouse Suite features a private rooftop pool with views over Athens to the Acropolis.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: The hotel fitness center offers weight machines, as well as treadmills, bicycles, elliptical machines, and a Finnish sauna.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: The ninth-floor Penthouse Suite features an acropolis-view private rooftop pool and dining terrace.
King George Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: The seventh-floor award-winning Tudor Hall restaurant offers indoor and outdoor dining with incredible Acropolis views. Tudor Hall serves seasonal, modern Greek cuisine, specialty cocktails, and a well-curated list of Greek wines. Open for breakfast and dinner, with childrens menus available.
- Lounge/Bar: There is no dedicated bar or lounge onsite, Cocktails, beer, wine, and spirits are served in Tudor Hall restaurant.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. Breakfast is offered in Tudor Hall restaurant, or can be ordered to your room.
- Room Service: 24-hour room service.
King George Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic Guest Room (king or two twin) with courtyard views • Deluxe Guest Room (king) with city or Acropolis views • one bedroom Junior Suite (king) with courtyard views • one-bedroom Deluxe Suite (king) with courtyard views • one-bedroom Grand Suite (king) with city or Acropolis views • one-bedroom Executive Suite (king) with Acropolis views • two-bedroom Penthouse Suite (king) with Acropolis views • List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: King George is a non-smoking hotel.
- Wheelchair Accessible Rooms: The hotel offers wheelchair accessible rooms with accesible routes, 32” wide doorways, grab bars, adjustable shower wands, and lowered outlets.
- Best Room: King George’s incredible Penthouse Suite is the best hotel room in Athens. Situated on the hotel’s ninth floor, it features floor-to-ceiling windows throughout and a spacious terrace with a private swimming pool and dining space for up to ten guests. The suite’s two bedrooms have walk-in closets and marble-clad bathrooms; the master bedroom features an en-suite sunken soaking tub. Kitchen, living, and interior dining space, too, plus unparalleled views over the city to the Acropolis.
King George Hotel – What’s Nearby?
- La Greche: The best gelato near Syntagma. 4-minute walk
- Tazza All Day Bistro & Wine Bar: Flamboyant bistro for Mediterranean-Greek bites, wine, and cocktails – and a breakfast and Sunday brunch. 4-minute walk
- Avocado: Lovely vegan and vegetarian restaurant focuses on local, seasonal, sustainable, and organic dishes full of rich flavors. 5-minute walk
- Evgenia: Authentic, and non-touristy family-run Greek taverna serving homemade, traditional dishes featuring seasonal ingredients. Also known as Paradosiako Cafeneon. 6-minute walk
Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Alexander’s Bar: Classic cocktails and fine spirits bar at the Hotel Grande Bretagne next door. Forbes calls it the world’s best hotel bar. 1-minute walk
- The 7 Jokers: Casual, rock-n-roll bar offering creative cocktails, draft beers, and an excellent liquor selection. 3-minute walk
- Heteroclito: Athens’ best wine bar, highlighting native Greek varietals, with a special emphasis on natural wines. 5-minute walk
- Brettos: Cozy bar and distillery offering a wide variety of spirits and cocktails, and a Plaka landmark since 1909. 9-minute walk
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Changing of the Guard at Hellenic Parliament: 2-minute walk
- National Historical Museum: 4-minute walk
- National Garden: 4-minute walk
- Museum of the City of Athens: 6-minute walk
- Benaki Museum of Greek Culture: 8-minute walk
- Museum of Cycladic Art: 10-minute walk
- Temple of Olympian Zeus: 11-minute walk
- Byzantine and Christian Museum: 12-minute walk
- Athens War Museum: 13-minute walk
- Acropolis Museum: 14-minute walk
- Acropolis and Parthenon: 20-minute walk
King George Hotel – The Hotel
All Athens Hotel Reviews
Athens Travel Guide Best Hotels in Athens Best Hotels in Santorini Best Hotels in Corfu Best Hotels in Crete Best Hotels in Folegandros Best Hotels in Ios Best Hotels in Kefalonia Best Hotels in Kos Best Hotels in Milos Best Hotels in Mykonos Best Hotels in Naxos Best Hotels in Paros Best Hotels in Rhodes Best Hotels in Serifos Best Hotels in Sifnos Best Hotels in Skiathos Best Hotels in Skopelos