• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links). I use some of these earnings for my monthly charitable donation.
What is a Santorini Cave Hotel?
Cave hotels are very popular in Santorini (and Oia especially) and are pretty much what they sound like – rooms and suites that are built into the cliffside to form a cave. They’re usually decorated simply and sparsely, but when done right they’re close to magical. Another plus is that they stay cool inside even when it’s very hot outside in July and August. (And for locals they were warm in winter when it was cold outside.) Many of the best hotels have a mix of cave suites and regular suites which can make it a little tricky to know what you’re getting.
Five of the best cave hotels on Santorini
All are stunningly gorgeous – Perivolas is the hotel seen in the video above.
• Perivolas Hotel (Oia, +30 22860 71308)
• Oia Castle Hotel (Oia, +30 2286 071831)
• Aris Caves (Oia, +30 2286 071511)
• Iconic Santorini (Imerovigli, +30 2286 028950)
• Tsitouras Collection (Firostefani, +30 2286 023747)
And the recently opened Sophia Suites in Imerovigli is wonderful.
Santorini cave hotels that are a little cheaper
Santorini Airbnb Cave House & Villas
I’m not a huge fan of Santorini Airbnbs. But if you need a Santorini cave house then Dream Blue (+30 21080 02307) is a privately owned home that sleeps 6, has a fully equipped kitchen, a hot tub, 2 bathrooms, and free wi-fi. It’s 600€ and up a night (depending on season and number of guests) but it’s an amazing house and worth it if you can afford it. The owner also rents a smaller house, My Blue, with traditional Santorini architecture. It sleeps up to 4 and is a little more affordable.