The Water Garden Hotel – Beautiful bungalows among gorgeous gardens offering serenity and convenience.
A meandering mossy path from the main road leads up into the hills where a small number of bungalows offer remarkable tranquility under the dramatic backdrop of Mt Agung. With bubbling fountains and trickling water drowning out the traffic, genuine seclusion and privacy are created by thickets of flowers and shrubs rather than brick walls. Each bungalow is separate, secluded, and designed to face elegant private gardens and ponds full of goldfish and lilies. They are all bright and airy, with plenty of windows offering all-around garden views. The attached café is classy but along the noisy road, while the pool is small but inviting. The entrance is along the main drag and just meters from the sea.
- Best Hotels in Bali
- Best Bali Hotels for Families
- Best Budget Hotels in Bali
- Where to Stay in Bali
- Bali Hotel Map
The Water Garden Hotel – The Location
- Area: In the western part of Candidasa. On the opposite side of the road from the shoreline, but very few hotels offer any semblance of a beach anyway. Surrounded by places to shop, eat, and drink, and handy to transport.
- Address: Jalan Raya Candidasa, the main road through Candidasa, a quiet resort region along the east coast of Bali.
- How to Get There: Few metered taxis and chartered cars from the airport (about 2 hours) will take anyone this far, so best to arrange transfers from the hotel. See under Local Transport below about tourist shuttle buses.
- Handy to: Scuba-diving agencies. Snorkeling spots. Perama shuttle bus office.
The Water Garden Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: The overall vibe is ‘romantic getaway’, so it’s ideal for honeymooners.
- Beach: Candidasa is a chain of rocky coves with patches of gritty sand created by breakwaters. The hotel does not face the sea, but simply walk 100m down the lane to the Puri Pandan restaurant (almost across the road from the hotel), where calm water and a patch of decent public beach awaits.
- Views: All villas are secluded behind walls, fences, or dense foliage, with views of fish-filled ponds and lush private gardens.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: The single Kul Kul suite features a private pool.
- Parking: A few free and secure spots. Arrange when booking, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)363 41540
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: watergardenhotel.com
The Water Garden Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is pleasant and shady. Seems a little undersized, but there are few guests.
- Spa: Inside one of the lovely villas facing a pond packed with fish, the Orchid Spa offers massages, scrubs, facials, and waxing.
- Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in a boutique hotel like this in Candidasa.
- Facilities: Boutique/souvenir shop.
The Water Garden Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The classy Watergarden Kafé is alongside the road and is nicely designed with ponds and cushioned alcoves. The menu is extensive and the happy hours and daily specials are generous as it competes with elegant rivals nearby.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but check when booking. The a la carte breakfast is served in the lovely café.
- Room Service: Limited service available during restaurant hours of 7 am to 8 pm.
The Water Garden Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Bungalow • Super Deluxe Bungalow • Kul Kul Suite • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Not permitted anywhere on the grounds.
- Best Room: The one-off Kul Kul Suite features a wonderful traditional design, and is very romantic and serene. With 2 bedrooms, each with an attached bathroom, in separate buildings facing the private pool.
- For Families: The only option is the 2-bedroom Kul Kul Suite, but the hotel is not family-focused.
The Water Garden Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: The main road through Candidasa is only 1km long and an easy walk. It is flat and reasonably wide (but very busy), so bicycles are a good option. Ask the hotel about rental.
- Public Transport: Long-distance minibusses career along the road between Amlapura and Denpasar (via the turnoff to Padangbai), but not really needed in the local area.
- Shuttle Bus: The main island-wide operator, Perama, offers several services daily to Kuta, Ubud, and Lovina, all via Padangbai. The office is conveniently only 250m west along the road.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: There are no metered taxis in this area, so charter a car with a driver from someone along the main road, or better, through the hotel. Renting a car is possible from local agencies (but not recommended anywhere in Bali), while motorbikes are easy to rent and a terrific way to explore the east coast.
The Water Garden Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
There are several places within 200m west along the main road:
- Refresh Family Restaurant – Cute restaurant, with vegetarian options and a playground.
- La Rouge Bar & Restaurant – Family-friendly restaurant with an open-air kitchen, serving a variety of cuisines.
- Le 48 – Classy bistro facing the lagoon, about 700m further east.
But it’s far nicer to dine somewhere distant from the traffic and facing the sea.
- Puri Pandan – Virtually opposite the hotel entrance, and the finest seaside setting in Candidasa. Steps lead to a pocket of sand and calm waters. For seafood, grills, and even frogs’ legs.
- Lezat Beach Restaurant – Means ‘delicious’ (as one word), which describes the seafood and location. About 150m west of the hotel, at Ashyana Candidasa Beach Resort.
- Pondok Bambu – Idyllic beachside position and great service. Nibble on pork ribs while watching waves smash distant breakwaters. About 300m past the Puri Pandan.
- The 1 km-long main road is bursting with all sorts of shops, from minimarts to souvenir stalls. No malls, but enough places to satisfy most.
Candidasa is an ideal base for exploration of the east coast, including:
- Tenganan (5 km) – Fascinating millennia-old village pre-dating Hinduism. Maybe get a lift up by car or motorbike. The walk downhill (5 km) to the main road in Candidasa is delightful.
- Pasir Putih (9 km) – One of Bali’s premier beaches, yet still remarkably underdeveloped. Accessible by public transport and lovely walk (1.5 km) from the turnoff at Bugbug village.
- Padangbai (13 km) – With a scenic cove, more renowned as the terminal for speedboats to the Gili Islands. Accessible by public minibus, shuttle bus, and/or motorbike taxi.
- Tirta Gangga (17 km) – Bali’s most exquisite water palace is accessible by public transport via Amlapura or shuttle bus.