Ferries from Athens (Piraeus) to Santorini
Santorini is a 4.5 to 6-hour ferry ride from Athens by the fastest highspeed ferries and catamarans, and 7 to 9 hours (or more) by the slower car ferries and overnight ferries. Most ferries from Athens to Santorini also stop in Naxos and Paros en route. Some ferries will stop in Ios, Mykonos, Foledandros, Milos, Sifnos, and Serifos. In high season (May to October) there will be 4 to 7 ferries per day from Athens. In low season there will always be at least one ferry per day. Ferries from Santorini to Athens have a similar frequency but run later in the day. There are multiple flights per day from Athens to Santorini year-round.
Ports in Athens
Ferries to Santorini depart from two primary ports near Athens: Piraeus and Rafina.
• Piraeus: The largest and busiest port in Greece, Piraeus is located approximately 10 kilometers southwest of central Athens. The port is easily accessible via public transportation, including the Athens Metro Line 1 (Green Line) and various bus routes. Most ferries to Santorini depart from Piraeus.
• Rafina: Located 30 kilometers east of Athens, Rafina is a smaller port with fewer departures but offers a closer option for those staying near Athens International Airport. Buses run regularly between the airport and Rafina port.
Several ferry companies operate the route between Athens and Santorini, offering a range of services, vessel types, and ticket options:
• Blue Star Ferries: Known for their comfort and reliability, Blue Star Ferries operates conventional ferries with regular departures from Piraeus to Santorini. The journey typically takes around 8 hours.
• SeaJets: Specializing in high-speed catamarans, SeaJets offers faster connections between Athens and Santorini. The journey duration is approximately 4.5-5.5 hours.
• Hellenic Seaways: Operating both high-speed catamarans and conventional ferries, Hellenic Seaways provides services between Athens and Santorini. Journey durations vary depending on the type of vessel.
• Golden Star Ferries: Offering conventional and high-speed ferries, Golden Star Ferries connects Athens and Santorini with varying travel times depending on the vessel.
Ticket Classes and Amenities
Ferry tickets for the Athens to Santorini route are available in different classes, depending on the vessel and company:
• Economy Class: The most affordable option, offering basic seating in indoor or outdoor areas.
• Air Seat Lounge: Comfortable airplane-style seats in a designated indoor seating area.
• VIP & Business Class: A more luxurious experience with spacious, comfortable seating and additional amenities.
• Cabins: Available on overnight and some daytime trips, cabins offer private accommodations with beds and small but functional bathrooms and showers.
• Ferries offer a range of amenities, such as restaurants, bars, snack kiosks, and Wi-Fi. The availability of these services depends on the ferry company and vessel type.
Ferry tickets can be purchased online (recommended), at travel agencies, or directly at the Piraeus port. It is advisable to book in 2 to 3 months in advance, especially for high season (late May to early October) when popular ferries can sell out quickly. Be sure to arrive at the port at least 30 minutes before departure, as departure gates can change with little notice.
Example Piraeus to Santorini Ferry Schedule
• How to buy ferry tickets: Ferryhopper.com
• Best seats: I recommend Business or VIP if available (nicer seats in a more relaxed setting)
• When to book tickets: 2 to 3 months in advance (any sooner and some ferry routes might not be released yet, any later and some ferries could be sold out)
Common Ferries from Athens to Santorini
- Athens Travel Guide
- Piraeus (Athens) Ferry Port Guide
- Athens – Where to Stay
- Athens – Best Hotels
- Athens Riviera – Best Hotels
- Athens Airport – Car Rental
- Athens – Best Tours & Things to Do
- Athens – Travel Maps
- Santorini Travel Guide
- Santorini Ferry Port Guide
- Santorini – Where to Stay
- Santorini – Best Hotels
- Santorini – Car Rental
- Santorini – Best Tours & Things to Do
- Santorini – Travel Maps