Crete to Santorini in 2020
- Crete-Santorini Ferries in 2020: Most years there are 2 ferries per day from Crete to Santorini and Santorini to Crete. Starting in late March or early April Minoan Lines and SeaJets Ferries begin high speed service from Crete to Santorini (morning sailing) and Santorini to Crete (afternoon sailing). These ferries usually continue to Naxos, Paros, and Mykonos before turning around and returning to Crete. Ferry tickets can be booked in advance at FerryHopper.com.
- Crete-Santorini Flights in 2020: Sky Express offers flights between Crete (Heraklion) and Santorini, though information about their flight schedule can be difficult to find. Use the website’s search function to see if they have a flight that works with your travel schedule. Flights sell out much earlier than ferries so if you see a flight then book as soon as possible.
- Crete to Santorini Ferries and Flights: For every ferry or flight from Crete to Santorini there is usually a ferry or flight going in the opposite direction. Ferries generally go from Crete to Santorini in the morning, and then Santorini to Crete in the afternoon.
- Most areas in Greece, including Crete and Santorini, hold public transportation strikes throughout the year. These strikes affect all forms of transit, including, buses, trains, ferries, flights, and taxis. During strikes no buses, no ferries, and only a handful of trains and flights will depart on time (or at all); taxis tend to be the least affected mode of transport. Though strikes can occur any time, there is always a huge strike on May 1. Avoid booking any ferries or flights that day.
- Note: Hellenic Seaways was recently purchased by Blue Star Ferries, and the two companies merged under the Blue Star Ferries name in fall of 2018. Most of the ferries that were operated by Hellenic Seaways are now running under Blue Star Ferries, and routes will generally not be affected. FerryHopper.com will have the most up-to-date booking options for all Greek ferries.
- Santorini Day Trip – From Heraklion & Agios Nikolaos – Hotel pickup and dropoff. Bus and boat tour to Santorini.
- Santorini Day Trip – From Chania – Hotel pickup and dropoff. Bus and boat tour to Santorini.
- Santorini Day Trip – From Rethymnon – Departs from Rethymno port which is walking distance from most Rethymno hotel.
- FerryHopper.com is the best way to research ferry schedules and book tickets for Crete-Santorini ferries. It’s rare for ferries between Crete and Santorini to sell out but for peace of mind book ferries 1 to 3 months in advance.
Flights from Crete to Santorini
Note: In 2020, flight routes and schedules will be impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. Please use kayak to find the most recently updated information.
Sky Express, a relatively new airline that is headquartered in Crete, offers many flights between Heraklion and Santorini. Sky Express’ flight schedules can be difficult to access, so use the website’s search function to see if they have a flight that works with your travel schedule.
Sky Express offers three different fare tiers, differing in luggage and hand baggage allowances, flight change and cancellation fees, and access to flight lounges and expedited security lines. Note that flights will sell out much earlier than ferries – if you find a flight that works for you, book it as soon as possible.
Minoan Air, also based on Crete, offers flights between Crete and Santorini many times a week on their Fokker 50-seat planes.
Ferry Schedule: Crete to Santorini for Summer 2020
Note: In 2020, ferry routes and schedules may be impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. Please use ferryhopper to find the most recently updated information.
- There are multiple daily ferries that run between Santorini and Heraklion Port in Crete from mid-April through October. The trip can take between around 2 hours on a high-speed ferry to almost 6 hours on an older, conventional ferry. Prices range from €30 to €45 for a standard adult ticket.
- From October through March, the ferry connections between Santorini and Crete are fewer and tend to be serviced by the older and slower ferries.
- There are no ferries from the Cretan ports of Chania or Agios Nikolaos to Santorini. If you’re traveling from these cities you’ll need to take the bus to Heraklion or Rethymnon, both between 1 1/2 and 2 hours away.
- FerryHopper.com is the best way to research ferry schedules and book tickets for Crete-Santorini ferries. It’s rare for ferries between Crete and Santorini to sell out, but for peace of mind book ferries 1 to 3 months in advance.
- Greek ferry schedules can change with little notice. Even after tickets are booked and routes confirmed, ferries can be cancelled or changed on short notice and with no good reason. Should this occur, FerryHopper will contact you with notice of any changes to your schedule, and guide you through the re-booking process.
Where To Pickup Ferry Tickets in Crete and Santorini
If you book tickets in advance online you’ll need to pick them up at least one hour in advance at the port on the day of your departure, or at one of the agents below:
- Minoan Lines and SeaJets Tickets in Heraklion
Paleologos Shipping & Travel Enterprises.
Address: 5, 25th August Street.
Tel: (+30) 2810 346185
Fax: (+30) 2810 346208
- Minoan Lines Tickets in Santorini
Address: Central Square of Fira
Telephone Number: (+30) 2286022220
Fax: (+30) 2286022570
- SeaJets Tickets in Santorini
Address: Opposite Post Office in Fira
Tel: (+30) 22860-22660 /23660
Fax: (+30) 22860-23666
Crete to Santorini Day Trips in 2020
- Crete to Santorini Day Trip Prices: Tours cost between $210 and $250.
- The best tours from Crete to Santorini:
• Heraklion & Agios Nikolaos to Santorini Day Trip – Hotel pickup & drop off. Runs: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
• Chania to Santorini Day Trip – Hotel pickup & drop off. Runs: Tuesday, Saturday.
• Rethymno to Santorini Day Trip – Tour starts from Rethymno port. Runs: Tuesday, Saturday.
Santorini to Crete in 2020 – Things To Know
- Greek Ferry Guide
- Crete to Athens Ferries
- Athens to Crete Ferries
- Heraklion (Crete) Ferry Port Guide
- Piraeus (Athens) Ferry Port Guide
- Mykonos Ferry Port Guide
- Car Rental at Heraklion Airport
- The Best Hotels in Santorini
- The Best Hotels in Crete
- The Best Hotels in Mykonos
- The Best Time to Visit Greece
- The Best Greek Islands
- Santorini Travel Guide
- Santorini Maps