Kamari is a wonderful, family-friendly beach town on the east coast of the island – the opposite side of the island from the caldera. It has a pedestrian beach-front walkway, loads of bars and restaurants, great (pebble beach) swimming, and an easy-going vibe. It’s a 15-minute bus or taxi ride from Kamari to Fira, so day trips to the cliffside towns are not difficult. (To get to Oia, just change buses in Fira.) In summer there are late buses running from Fira to Kamari – the last one will leave Fira after midnight sometimes as late as 3:30am. A taxi from Fira to Kamari will be about 15€. Taxi from Oia to Kamari is 20€ to 25€. Kamari is also where you’ll find the fantastic outdoor cinema – which is a must.
Perissa is the other main beach town in Santorini. The beach there has nicer sand and the town has a little more laid-back charm (it feels less resorty and more like a California beach town). But there’s better traditional Greek food in Kamari and it’s much faster and easier to get to Fira (or Oia) from Kamari than from Perissa.
The best hotel in Kamari that’s right on the beach is Sigalas – the other hotels listed below are either across a pedestrian road from the beach or back a few streets – which isn’t a big deal but at Sigalas you can walk straight from your room or the pool to the sea.
The 10 Best Hotels in Kamari
- Santorini Kastelli Resort – Bright, spacious, modern rooms; all with terraces or balconies. Beautiful lush grounds, 4 pools, great spa, restaurant, small gym, and tennis court. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031530)
- Tamarix Del Mar Suites – Family-friendly maisonettes accommodate up to 5 guests, with high chairs, cribs, and a kids’ pool and playroom. Lovely swimming pool and bar; some suites feature outdoor jacuzzis. • (Hotel phone: 30 22860 34172)
- Cavo Bianco – Spacious rooms and suites have modern minimalist decor and private balconies. 2 shared pools, small gym & spa; most suites have private jacuzzis – the Pool Suite has a private (but not secluded) pool. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031366)
- Zephyros – Cozy, family-run hotel with a lovely garden and pool area, a quick walk to the beach and the bus. Guests can enjoy private beach privileges at their sister Hotel, Elixir Studios. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031108)
- Acqua Vatos Santorini Hotel – Modern accommodations with a colorful, quirky, pop-art vibe and a small private vineyard. Good-sized shared pool with plenty of cushioned sunbeds – 50m from Kamari Beach. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031660)
- Santellini Hotel – 24-room hotel with clean and bright traditional decor, modern bathrooms, and lovely pool with shared sun terrace. Bi-level maisonettes sleep up to 4. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 028866)
- Sigalas – Clean and crisp family-run hotel with private beach access, a short walk to the promenade. A range of rooms and suites can accommodate from 2 to 7 guests. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031260)
- Hotel Matina – Friendly mid-range boutique hotel with a large pool and short walk to the beach, restaurants, and bus station. Free breakfast. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031491)
- Blue Waves – Spacious and clean rooms and suites with modern furnishing, 100 feet from the beach. Shared pool and sun deck; suites feature private jacuzzis or pools. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031935)
- Santorini Crystal Blue – Small hotel with clean, spacious rooms and shared pool and sun deck. Deluxe Suite has an outdoor hot tub, Beach Front Villas sleep four. • (Hotel phone: +30 2286 031055)