Cine Kamari is one of the best outdoor cinemas in Europe, and absolutely one of the best things to do in Santorini. It’s located in Kamari – which is a 12-minute drive from Fira and about 20 to 25 minutes from Oia. All movies are popular current movies in English, shown with Greek subtitles. Doors open at 8:30pm, but you should arrive by 8:00pm (unless it’s a really popular movie, or the last day of a film’s run, or a Sunday – in which cases you should get in line by 7:30pm). Even on a hot day, it can get chilly at night. Plan to bring a sweater or light jacket, but the staff will provide blankets if you ask.
Cine Kamari: The Basics
- Cine Kamari is open May through October.
- The movie schedule is released about 2 months in advance.
- Tickets are €8, cash only at the door and at the bar. You cannot buy tickets online or in advance.
- Doors open at 8:30pm. Movies start at 9:30pm. I generally recommend arriving by 8:00pm (if it’s a really popular movie, the last day of a film’s run, or Sunday, you should get in line by 7:30pm).
Cine Kamari: Getting There
Bus: There’s a bus stop directly across the road from the cinema. For June through September, there should always be a bus heading back to Fira after the movie gets out. For May and October check the bus schedule to ensure there’s a late bus. To get to Oia, Imerovigli, and Firostefani will require changing buses in Fira.
Taxi: Getting a taxi late at night can be difficult. Be prepared for a long wait. Ordering and planning a taxi in advance (perhaps through your hotel) is advised.
Car: There’s plenty of parking near the cinema if you have a rental car. But then you can’t enjoy drinks from the bar, which is half the fun.
Cine Kamari: Food and Drinks
At the Cinema: There’s a bar and concession stand inside. They serve beer, wine, cocktails, soda, nachos, hot dogs, popcorn, nuts, chocolate bars.
Near the Cinema: Metaxi Mas, one of the best restaurants in Santorini, is located a 5-minute drive from the open air cinema. (But it’s not walking distance.) Combining dinner and a movie is about as romantic an evening as I can think of – but you’ll need an early seating at Metaxi Mas, so get reservations at least a week in advance.
Video of Kamari Open Air Cinema
The Kamari Open Air Cinema
Fun Video of the Kamari Open Air Cinema Getting Ready for the Season
- The Best Hotels in Santorini
- The Best Things to Do on Santorini
- The Best Santorini Boat Tours
- The Best Restaurants on Santorini
- 21 Cheap (And Good) Hotels on Santorini
- Santorini Jet Ski Tours
- The Best Hotels in Mykonos
- The Best Hotels in Athens
- The Best Hotels on Crete
- The Best Hotels on Paros
- The Best Hotels on Naxos
- The Best Hotels on Ios
- The Best Hotels in Rome
- The Best Hotels in Paris
- The Best Hotels in London