See Also: The Best Hotels in Santorini
Honeymoon Petra Villas – Dramatic, lava rock hotel perched on the caldera’s edge with a large infinity pool, 24-hour bar, and stellar views.
This five-star boutique hotel offers a choice of traditional or contemporary suites, some with indoor or outdoor jacuzzis. Suites in the Traditional Wing are the most private, while the Petra Wing suites have private balconies and sit closer to the hotel’s facilities. Honeymoon Petra’s infinity pool has an attached jacuzzi, and is among the largest in the caldera: long enough for swimming and deep enough for diving. Its restaurant serves Greek and Mediterranean favorites with a privileged sunset view, and the 24-hour poolside bar serves a fantastic selection of local wines and handcrafted cocktails. True, local insights (the current owner was born and raised onsite), massage and steam rooms, and exclusive sailing excursions round out the experience here.
Honeymoon Petra Villas – Location
- Area: Absolutely gorgeous location in Imerovigli village, with amazing dining and attractions all within a couple of minutes’ walk from the hotel. Imerovigli sits at the highest elevation on the caldera, and the views are stellar throughout the hotel and at most of the restaurants here.
- How to Get There: Complimentary airport or port transfer is included in the room rates. The hotel sits above the caldera in Imerovigli village, not far off the main road connecting Fira and Oia, making it easy to reach by bus, taxi, or driving yourself. There are always buses at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini airport (both buses will stop in Fira from where you’ll get a different bus to Imerovigli – the entire trip from port or airport to Imerovigli will take around an hour). The bus stop is just 4 minutes away on foot, and the walk from there to the hotel entrance is mostly flat, easy to navigate with luggage. Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there is often a long wait; schedule ahead to avoid this – or rent a car. A taxi from the airport to Honeymoon Petra Villas should be about €20, and a taxi from the ferry port to Honeymoon Petra Villas should be about €20 too. There will be a small surcharge for luggage, or for booking in advance. If renting a car, they offer free parking in their lot near the Santorini Sailing Center, about 5 minutes away on foot (a major perk).
- Handy to: The Oia-Fira Hiking Trail (1-minute walk), Anastasi Church (1-minute walk), Skaros Rock (12-minute walk).
Honeymoon Petra Villas – The Basics
- Ages: An adults-only hotel, only ages 14 and older are allowed. Small dogs are also permitted. Guests tend to be couples celebrating a special occasion, usually a honeymoon, anniversary, or even having their wedding here.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a quiet, black sand beach with intriguing wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs (14-minute drive). The north end has a small harbor, and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos (11-minute drive). From the hotel, it’s a short 4.6 km drive to the north end, or 7.1 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Overlooking the caldera with enviable sunset views from the suites and throughout the hotel, with especially good views of the volcanoes, Akrotiri, Skaros Rock, and Thirassia.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Several suites feature private jacuzzis or plunge pools. The Honeymoon Suites include indoor jacuzzis. The Traditional Suite offers an outdoor, heated jacuzzi. The Honeymoon Nest and Infinity Pool Suite have heated outdoor plunge pools.
- Parking: Free parking in their lot near Santorini Sailing Center.
- Extras: Complimentary airport or port transfer, poolside cabanas to rent (rate includes a bottle of champagne and fruits), BBQ and event space, massage room, steam room, concierge, sailing packages.
- When to Book: The hotel is open from April 1 to October 31. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during high season from June through September, and about 2 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 22895, +30 22860 23891
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: honeymoonpetra.com
Honeymoon Petra Villas – Amenities
- Pool: Large, unheated, infinity pool that wraps around with a pool bar, and has a few private nooks and an attached jacuzzi. Big enough for swimming or diving, and with sweeping views over the caldera.
- Spa: Honeymoon Petra offers a massage cave and a steam room.
- Fitness Center: Excellent gym with contemporary equipment located across the street about 3 minutes away. Open by appointment.
- For Disabled Guests: This is a caldera hotel with lots of steps and no elevator. Some suites have loft bedrooms. Not suitable for guests with mobility issues.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, only guests 14 and older are permitted. There are no special facilities or amenities for children. The hotel is pet-friendly and allows small dogs.
- Activities: The owners of Honeymoon Petra also own Santorini Sailing Center and offer sailing excursions, day trips, and unique island hopping packages.
- Other Facilities: BBQ and events area, poolside cabanas to rent.
Honeymoon Petra Villas – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Paraga Restaurant serves Greek and Mediterranean dishes for lunch and dinner from 12:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. with an amazing 270° panoramic view of the caldera and Imerovigli village. Ingredients are local and organic when available, with many vegetables grown in the owner’s garden. The kitchen staff is fantastic at working around food allergies and restrictions.
- Lounge/Bar: Paraga Pool Bar is open 24 hours for drinks, featuring a well-curated wine list and refreshing cocktails. Food, prepared in the main restaurant, is served here until 10:00 p.m. The best views are available at the poolside tables and loungers here.
- Breakfast: A complimentary buffet breakfast is served daily at Paraga Restaurant using fresh, local, organic products. Excellent Greek pies, yogurt, and honey.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours for drinks; serving food until 10:00 p.m.
Honeymoon Petra Villas – Rooms
- Room Types: Petra Studio • Traditional Studio • Superior Petra Studio • Petra Apartment • Traditional Apartment for 2 • Traditional Apartment for 4 • Traditional Suite • Honeymoon Suite for 2 • Honeymoon Suite for 4 • Honeymoon Nest • Infinity Pool Suite • Traditional Cave House
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their suite categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: The best choices for couples are the Honeymoon Nest and the Infinity Pool Suite, both in the traditional wing of the hotel. The Honeymoon Nest offers 70 sqm of interior space spread over 3 floors with a king bed, oversized soaking tub with a caldera view, and a private, heated plunge pool. The Infinity Pool Suite is 55 sqm with a queen bed and a private, heated infinity pool.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, only guests ages 13 and older are permitted. There are no special amenities or facilities for children. The best option for families is the Traditional Cave House. This 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suite features a master bedroom with a queen-sized bed and ensuite bathroom with a large soaking tub. Its second bedroom has a double bed. The living room and private terrace offer sitting, dining, and lounge space for up to 4 guests.
Honeymoon Petra Villas – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in the center of Imerovigli, above the caldera, and on the Oia-Fira hiking trail, with the village’s best restaurants, shops, and attractions just a few meters away. Easy access to all dining and attractions in Imerovigli, as well as the nightlife and shopping in Fira, just a 30-minute walk south.
- Bus: The nearest bus stop is in Imerovigli village, near Sunbird car rental and Posidonia Tavern, a 4-minute walk from the hotel. Buses here serve all of the major villages and beaches on the island, often with a change in Fira if heading to the airport, port, or beaches. Tickets are bought on board and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi, all the way down in Fira, so not very practical to walk or bus to. Plus, there is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (with guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have them meet you directly at the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Imerovigli to Fira is roughly €10, and from Imerovigli to the airport or port is around €20.
- Scooters/Motorcycles: Just don’t, unless you’re Evel Knievel! Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop-offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs: This is a super popular mode of transportation with tourists, but the locals absolutely hate them. They move too slowly and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. ATVs with smaller motors have been banned from the roads, and a full ban is expected to pass soon.
Honeymoon Petra Villas – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious. 3-minute walk.
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal. 4-minute walk.
- Anogi: Al fresco dining with local specialties and classic Greek dishes. Rich flavors and large portions, so come hungry. 4-minute walk.
- Avocado: Traditional Greek menu, charming space, super friendly staff. Cycladic recipes and a fantastic selection of Santorinian wines. 7-minute walk.
- Le Moustache: Elevated Greek and Mediterranean dining and excellent cocktails with panoramic sunset views over the caldera. 8-minute walk.
- OVAC: Mediterranean-Asian fusion with spectacular sunset views and a romantic ambiance. Stupidly expensive, but everything on the menu is absolute perfection. 24-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
Best Nearby Cafes
- Hlios Bakery: Good coffee, basic pastries, and deli sandwiches. Not exceptional, but they’re cheap and they deliver (cash only for deliveries). 5-minute walk.
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb and the sunset views are gorgeous. 13-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: 1-minute walk. One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes about 2 hours. Heading south to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel, takes about 30 minutes. Add at least 30 minutes for a detour at Skaros Rock either way.
- Agios Georgios Church: Small white church on a platform over the caldera, marking the start of the trail to Skaros Rock. Gorgeous, panoramic views from here. 1-minute walk.
- Anastasi Church: The most picturesque, blue-domed church in Imerovigli offers gorgeous caldera views overlooking Skaros Rock. Popular for weddings and photo shoots. 1-minute walk.
- Imerovigli Basketball Court: Not an attraction, but good to know. This is the main parking area in Imerovigli. 5-minute walk.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active. 12-minute walk.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Jimmy’s Market Cava: Market and deli with a great selection (especially the wines) plus great coffee and breakfast sandwiches (more consistent and better quality breakfasts than Hlios, but they don’t deliver). 5-minute walk.
- Supermarket Nissi: The friendliest market in the area, and usually the best prices in Imerovigli. 5-minute walk.
Honeymoon Petra Villas – The Hotel
- Anteliz Suites – Review
- Aria Suites – Review
- Athina Luxury Suites – Review
- Celestia Grand – Review
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Review
- Above Blue Suites – Review
- Absolute Bliss – Review
- Aenaon Villas – Review
- Andronis Concept Wellness – Review
- Astra Suites – Review
- Cavo Tagoo – Review
- Chromata Santorini – Review
- Grace Santorini – Review
- Heliotopos Hotel – Review
- Iconic Santorini – Review
- Remezzo Villas – Review
- San Antonio – Review
- Santorini Princess Spa Hotel – Review
- Sophia Luxury Suites – Review
- Tamarix Del Mar – Review
- Vedema Resort – Review
- 270 Oia’s View – Review
- Andronis Boutique Hotel – Review
- Andronis Luxury Suites – Review
- Anemomilos Hotel and Villas – Review
- Canaves Hotel – Review
- Canaves Suites – Review
- Elysian Suites – Review
- Esperas Santorini – Review
- Gabbiano Apartments – Review
- Ikies Traditional Houses – Review
- Katikies – Review
- Kirini Santorini – Review
- Maregio Suites – Review
- Myst Boutique Hotel – Review
- Mystique Hotel – Review
- Mythique Villas and Suites – Review
- Oia Castle Luxury Suites – Review
- Perivolas Hotel – Review
- Santo Maris Oia – Review
- White Pearl Villas – Review
- Zoe Aegeas Traditional Houses – Review
- Meltemi Village – Review
- Istoria Hotel – Review
- Carpe Diem Santorini – Review