Skaros Rock is the large promontory just below Imerovigli, Santorini. Forged over centuries by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, the site was historically used as a fortress, with its elevated position and wide views of the surrounding sea. A large settlement grew up around it with many homes and businesses, and a church that still stands. There was even a small harbor at the base of the rock which no longer exists. Over time, large sections of earth and rock fell away into the sea, and villagers fled to the nearby villages of Imerovigli and Fira.
Today, Skaros Rock is a popular destination for visitors to the island. Many of the caldera side hotels from Fira to Imerovigli and beyond have stunning views of the impressive block. The trail to get there is reached by a steep winding staircase from the middle of Imerovigli, just below Grace Hotel. The path begins with concrete steps and a thin wire guard rail, transitioning to a gravel path with no barrier. There’s a small historical church tucked into the bluffs on the far side that you can visit. Many people make the short side trip while hiking the Fira to Oia trail, while others make it into an excursion of its own. Climbing to the top is possible but challenging and scary for some. Most people enjoy the path around the rock without ascending to the top. You can expect any visit to Skaros to take at least an hour roundtrip, or longer if you stay to picnic and enjoy the views. We suggest a good pair of sneakers, though many have been known to make the trip in flip flops.
Skaros Rock in Santorini – Video
Skaros Rock Information
- Location: Imerovigli, Santorimni
- Hours: Sunrise to sunset.
- Parking: Free parking in Imerovigli.
- Bus: 15-30 minute walk from Imerovigli bus stop.
- Dining: A handful of great restaurants to choose from in Imerovigli. Athenian House and Avocado are two of our favorites..
- Santorini Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Santorini
- Best Family Hotels in Santorini
- Best Budget Hotels in Santorini
- Best Beach Hotels in Santorini
- Where To Stay in Santorini
- Best Things To Do in Santorini
- Best Time To Visit Santorini
- Best Restaurants in Santorini
- Best Wineries in Santorini
- Santorini Ferry Port Guide
- Maps of Santorini
- Videos of Santorini