Remezzo – One of the original family-run hotels in Santorini, Remezzo offers traditional cave-style suites with breathtaking caldera views, a pool, four-course Greek breakfasts, and warm service.
Located in a converted winery from the 1800s, Remezzo features eighteen unique rooms, suites, and villas designed to preserve the original architecture. All but one studio have gorgeous sunset caldera views; many rooms and suites have kitchenettes, while a few feature indoor or outdoor jacuzzis or private, heated plunge pools. This family-run hotel also has an unheated main pool to share. One of the major highlights is their breakfast spread, a four-course meal with different options every day, all with local ingredients and traditional recipes. The owners and staff go out of their way to offer personal service, and to create a local, authentic, homey vibe.
Remezzo – Video
Remezzo – Location
Spectacular location in the heart of Imerovigli village, with all of the village’s excellent dining and attractions within 2 to 20 minutes’ walk of the hotel. Imerovigli is the highest elevation on the caldera, and the views are unbeatable from each room and throughout the hotel.
• How to Get There:
The hotel sits above the caldera in the center of Imerovigli village, not far off the main road connecting Fira and Oia, making it easy to reach by bus, taxi, or driving yourself. It is approximately 8km from the Santorini Airport to Remezzo Villas, and 12km from the ferry port.
There are always buses waiting at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini Airport. There are no direct buses from the port or airport to Imerovigli, however; buses from both locations go to Fira, where you must then board a different bus to Imerovigli – the entire trip from the port or airport to Imerovigli will take around an hour and cost about €5 in total. Tickets are purchased on the bus, in cash only. The bus stop is just 5 minutes away on foot, and the walk from there to the hotel is mostly flat, easy to navigate with luggage.
Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there can be a long wait; schedule a ride through a private car service in advance to avoid this (I use and recommend Welcome Pickups). Taxis on Santorini are not metered, so be sure to agree on a price with the driver before setting out. A taxi from the airport to Remezzo Villas should be about €25 to €30, and a taxi from the ferry port around €30. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more – about $45 (or €37), but is worth it to avoid the wait and for the convenience of paying ahead.
For those who prefer to drive themselves, we recommend renting a car either at the airport on arrival, or in Fira. The road from the ferry port is steep and narrow, with many tricky switchbacks, large trucks, and buses. Leave that for the locals to navigate. We strongly recommend reserving a vehicle in advance, especially if you require automatic transmission. On arrival in Imerovigli, there is free street parking near the hotel (often full), near the Imerovigli Basketball Court, and near Sunbird Rent-A-Car. Imerovigli has the hardest-to-find parking in Santorini, so you may have to circle around a couple times to find a spot.
Map of Remezzo
Remezzo – The Basics
- Ages: This is an adults-only hotel, and guests must be at least 13 years old to stay here. Guests tend to be couples between 25 and 65 celebrating a romantic occasion (wedding, honeymoon, or anniversary), or birthday.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a black sand beach with dramatic, wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant there is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs (16-minute drive). The north end has a small harbor and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos (13-minute drive). From the hotel, it’s a short 4.7 km drive to the north end or 7.2 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Overlooking the caldera with excellent sunset views from most rooms and throughout the hotel. Only 1 studio has a pool and hotel view instead.
- Kitchen: Most room types feature kitchenettes: Studios, Superior Studios, Sea View Studios, Honeymoon Suites, Superior Suites, Senior Suites, and the Master Suite.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: A few room categories offer private jacuzzis or pools. The Pool Suite features an outdoor, heated, private pool; the Honeymoon Double offers an outdoor jacuzzi; the Senior Suite has an indoor, 2-person, jacuzzi tub; and the Master Suite has an indoor jacuzzi tub.
- Parking: Free street parking near the hotel, near the Imerovigli Basketball Court, and near Sunbird Rent-A-Car. Imerovigli has the hardest-to-find parking in Santorini; be patient and eventually you’ll find a spot.
- Extras: Crazy awesome breakfast, welcome drink (usually wine or a cocktail), twice daily maid service, turndown service.
- When to Book: The hotel usually operates from April to November. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during the high season from June through September, and about 2 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 23030
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: remezzo-santorini.com
Remezzo – Amenities
- Pool: Unheated main pool on a large veranda. Sweeping caldera views from the deck, but not directly from the pool.
- Spa: No spa, but in-room massage can be arranged.
- Fitness Center: No gym.
- For Disabled Guests: This is a caldera hotel with lots of steps and no elevator. Not suitable for guests with mobility issues.
- For Families: This is an adults-only hotel, and guests must be at least 13 years old to stay. There are no amenities or facilities for children. Families traveling with older kids should opt for their 3-Bedroom Master Suite which sleeps up to 6 guests, or the 2-Bedroom Villa which sleeps up to 4.
Remezzo – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: The restaurant is open all day, offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a menu of simple, well-executed, Greek comfort foods. Whenever possible, Santorinian-grown produce and local products feature heavily on the menu. They are excellent at accommodating guests’ dietary restrictions.
- Lounge/Bar: The bar is located in the lobby and is open all day, until around 11:00-ish at night. Drinks can be served on the main terrace, poolside, or delivered to the room. The menu features a strong selection of beers, local wines, and great cocktails (they make a mean mojito).
- Breakfast: Breakfast is phenomenal, a completely unique experience that no other hotel is doing. The 4-course set meal features local Santorinian recipes with different courses every day. Hearty portions and fantastic coffee are served al fresco overlooking the caldera. Though they serve a set menu, they are adept at working with any dietary needs of their guests.
- Room Service: Available all day during restaurant hours.
Remezzo – Rooms
- Room Types: Studio • Superior Studio • Sea View Studio • Superior Double • Pool Suite • Honeymoon Double • Honeymoon Suite • Superior Suite • Junior Suite • Junior Suite with Outdoor Hot Tub • Senior Suite • Master Suite • 2-Bedroom Villa
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their room categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces, and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: Every room is completely unique, but the best rooms for couples are the Pool Suite, Honeymoon Double, and the Honeymoon Suite. The Pool Suite is a spacious 50 sqm with a king-sized bed; this is the only room type with a private, heated pool. The Honeymoon Double offers a generous 32 sqm with a queen-sized bed and an outdoor jacuzzi. The Honeymoon Suite is the largest suite onsite (even larger than the villa) with 90 sqm of space (including a huge 25 sqm bathroom with a stone soaking tub), a king-sized bed, kitchenette, and a private balcony.
- For Families: This is an adults-only hotel, and guests must be at least 13 years old to stay. There are no amenities or facilities for children. Families traveling with older kids should opt for their 3-Bedroom Master Suite, which sleeps up to 6 guests, or the 2-Bedroom Villa, which sleeps up to 4 guests. The Master Suite measures 60 sqm with a queen-sized bed in the master bedroom with an ensuite bath, king-sized bed in the loft bedroom, and 2 single beds in the third bedroom. There is a jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom, an extra half-bathroom, a kitchenette, and a shared terrace. The 2-Bedroom Villa is 65 sqm with queen beds in both bedrooms, a separate living room, a bathroom with a rain shower, and a large private terrace.
Remezzo – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in Imerovigli village, above the caldera and the Oia-Fira hiking trail, with the village’s best restaurants, shops, and attractions just a few meters away. Easy access to all dining and attractions in Imerovigli as well as the nightlife and shopping in Fira, just a 30-minute walk south.
- Bus: The nearest bus stop is in Imerovigli village, a 5-minute walk from the hotel. Buses here serve all of the major villages and beaches on the island, often with a change in Fira. Tickets are bought on board, and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity, and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi, all the way down in Fira, so not very practical to walk or bus to. Plus, there is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (with guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have them meet you directly at the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Imerovigli to Fira is roughly €15, and from Imerovigli to the airport or port is around €25 to €30.
- Scooters/Motorcycles: Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs/Quads: ATVs are a fun and popular mode of transportation with tourists, but for the locals stuck driving behind them, they move too slowly and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. For those who don’t ride quads regularly (i.e. most people), they can be dangerous at high speeds and on turns. Crashing your ATV is a sure-fire way to ruin your vacation.
Remezzo – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Le Moustache: Elevated Greek and Mediterranean dining and excellent cocktails with panoramic sunset views over the caldera. 1-minute walk.
- Avocado: Traditional Greek menu, charming space, super friendly staff. Cycladic recipes and a fantastic selection of Santorinian wines. 3-minute walk.
- Anogi: Al fresco dining with local specialties and classic Greek dishes. Rich flavors and large portions, so come hungry. 4-minute walk.
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious. 7-minute walk.
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal. 8-minute walk.
- OVAC: Mediterranean-Asian fusion with spectacular sunset views and a romantic ambiance. Stupidly expensive, but everything on the menu is absolute perfection. 17-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
Best Nearby Cafes
- Hlios Bakery: Good coffee, basic pastries, and deli sandwiches. Not exceptional, but the bakery is cheap and delivers (cash only for deliveries). 8-minute walk.
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb, and the sunset views are gorgeous. 17-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: 1-minute walk. One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes just under 2 hours. Heading south to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel, takes about 33 minutes. Add at least 30 minutes for a detour at Skaros Rock either way.
- Imerovigli Basketball Court: Not an attraction, but good to know. This is the main parking area in Imerovigli. 3-minute walk.
- Anastasi Church: The most picturesque, blue-domed church in Imerovigli offers gorgeous caldera views overlooking Skaros Rock. Popular for weddings and photo shoots. 7-minute walk.
- Agios Georgios Church: Small white church on a platform over the caldera, marking the start of the trail to Skaros Rock. Gorgeous, panoramic views from here. 9-minute walk.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active. 18-minute walk.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Mini Market: There is a mini market and ATM across the street and down a few meters from the hotel. Not on the map, but you’ll find it almost directly across the street from the hotel Absolute Bliss. 1-minute walk.
- Supermarket Nissi: The friendliest market in the area and usually the best prices in Imerovigli. 5-minute walk.
- Jimmy’s Market Cava: Market and deli with a great selection (especially the wines), plus great coffee and breakfast sandwiches (more consistent and better quality breakfasts than Hlios, but Jimmy’s doesn’t deliver). 7-minute walk.
Remezzo – The Hotel
- Amity Suites – Review
- Aria Suites – Review
- Athina Luxury Suites – Review
- Celestia Grand – Review
- Cori Rigas Suites – Review
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Review
- Katikies Garden – Review
- Anteliz Suites – Review
- Belvedere Suites – Review
- Dana Villas & Infinity Suites – Review
- Homeric Poems – Review
- The Tsitouras Collection – Review
- Above Blue Suites – Review
- Absolute Bliss – Review
- Aenaon Villas – Review
- Altana Heritage Suites & Villas – Review
- Andronis Concept Wellness – Review
- Astra Suites – Review
- Cavo Tagoo – Review
- Chromata Santorini – Review
- Grace Santorini – Review
- Heliotopos Hotel – Review
- Honeymoon Petra Villas – Review
- Iconic Santorini – Review
- San Antonio – Review
- Santorini Princess Spa Hotel – Review
- Sophia Luxury Suites – Review
- The Vasilicos – Review
- West East Suites – Review
- Tamarix Del Mar – Review
- Vedema Resort – Review
- 270 Oia’s View – Review
- Andronis Arcadia – Review
- Andronis Boutique Hotel – Review
- Andronis Luxury Suites – Review
- Anemomilos Hotel and Villas – Review
- Canaves Hotel – Review
- Canaves Suites – Review
- Charisma Suites – Review
- Elysian Suites – Review
- Esperas Santorini – Review
- Gabbiano Traditional Cave Houses – Review
- Ikies Traditional Houses – Review
- Katikies – Review
- Katikies Kirini – Review
- Maregio Suites – Review
- Myst Boutique Hotel – Review
- Mystique Hotel – Review
- Mythique Villas and Suites – Review
- Oia Castle Luxury Suites – Review
- Perivolas Hotel – Review
- Santo Maris Oia – Review
- White Pearl Villas – Review
- Zoe Aegeas Traditional Houses – Review
- Meltemi Village – Review
- Istoria Hotel – Review
- Carpe Diem Santorini – Review