Greece › Santorini › Hotels › Absolute Bliss Review
by Santorini Dave • Updated: January 19, 2022
• Location: In the heart of Imerovigli, with the highest elevation and great sunset & caldera views
• Hotel website: absolutebliss.net
• Hotel phone: +30 22860 21310
• Check prices for Absolute Bliss
Absolute Bliss – Romantic hotel with cave-style suites and villas, swimming pool, and breathtaking caldera views.
This beautiful boutique hotel offers a variety of rooms, suites, and villas, all with stunning sunset views overlooking the caldera in Imerovigli. Accommodation is cave-style yet sunny, and all units are completely unique, since they are all hand-carved into the cliff. All but one room category offers a private jacuzzi or heated pool. Their small shared pool is perched on the edge of the caldera with gorgeous views and plenty of sun loungers. Breakfast is included and served to the room, while lunch and dinner can be served poolside or as room service. Staff is personal, friendly, and incredibly hands-on to ensure that each stay is unforgettable.
Absolute Bliss – Location
Spectacular location in the heart of Imerovigli village, with excellent dining and attractions all within 15 minutes of the hotel on foot. Imerovigli is the highest elevation on the caldera, and the views are unbeatable from each room and throughout the hotel.
• How to Get There:
The hotel sits above the caldera in Imerovigli village, not far off the main road connecting Fira and Oia, making it easy to reach by bus, taxi, or driving yourself. It is approximately 8km from the Santorini Airport to Absolute Bliss, and 12km from the ferry port.
There are always buses waiting at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini Airport. There are no direct buses from the port or airport to Imerovigli, however; buses from both locations go to Fira, where you must then board a different bus to Imerovigli – the entire trip from the port or airport to Imerovigli will take around an hour and cost about €5 in total. Tickets are purchased on the bus, in cash only. The bus stop is just 5 minutes away on foot, and the walk from there to the hotel is mostly flat, easy to navigate with luggage.
Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there can be a long wait; schedule a ride through a private car service in advance to avoid this (I use and recommend Welcome Pickups). Taxis on Santorini are not metered, so be sure to agree on a price with the driver before setting out. A taxi from the airport to Absolute Bliss should be about €25 to €30, and a taxi from the ferry port around €30. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more – about $45 (or €37), but is worth it to avoid the wait and for the convenience of paying ahead.
For those who prefer to drive themselves, we recommend renting a car either at the airport on arrival, or in Fira. The road from the ferry port is steep and narrow, with many tricky switchbacks, large trucks, and buses. Leave that for the locals to navigate. We strongly recommend reserving a vehicle in advance, especially if you require automatic transmission. There is free parking in front of the hotel (often full), near the Imerovigli Basketball Court, and near Sunbird Rent-A-Car. Imerovigli has the hardest-to-find parking in Santorini, so you may have to circle around a couple times to find a spot.
• Handy To: The Oia-Fira Hiking Trail, Anastasi Church, Skaros Rock.
Absolute Bliss – The Basics
- Ages: An adults-only hotel, guests must be 16 years or older. There are no amenities or facilities for children, and no rooms accommodate more than 2 guests.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a quiet, black sand beach with intriguing wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant there is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs. The north end has a small harbor and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos. From the hotel, it’s a short 5 km drive to the north end or 7 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Overlooking the caldera with excellent sunset views from the rooms and throughout the hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: All but the standard Classic Double Room offer private jacuzzis or pools. The Classic Double Room with Hot Tub and the Elegant Suites have outdoor jacuzzis; Junior Suites offer indoor jacuzzis; Honeymoon Suites have both indoor and outdoor jacuzzis; and the Absolute Luxury Spa Villa has an outdoor heated pool.
- Parking: Free street parking in front of the hotel or in the nearby lots. Parking can be difficult in Imerovigli.
- Extras: Complimentary bottle of wine on arrival for all suites and the villa.
- When to Book: The hotel usually operates from April 1 to November 30. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during high season from June through September, and about 2 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 21310
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Website: absolutebliss.net
Absolute Bliss – Amenities
- Pool: Small, unheated pool with caldera views and sun loungers.
- Spa: No spa onsite, but they can arrange in-room massage.
- Fitness Center: No gym.
- For Disabled Guests: This is a caldera hotel with lots of steps and no elevator. Not suitable for guests with mobility issues.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel; only guests over 16 years are allowed. There are no facilities or amenities for children, and no rooms accommodate more than 2 guests.
Absolute Bliss – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: There is no real restaurant onsite, but they do have a kitchen where they prepare breakfast to be delivered to each room daily. Drinks, lunch, and dinner can also be ordered from the kitchen and served poolside, on the outdoor terrace, or to the room.
- Lounge/Bar: The kitchen offers a full bar which can be delivered to the room, terrace, or poolside.
- Breakfast: Complimentary breakfast is delivered to each room daily at your chosen time. The food is rich and delicious with generous portions, local ingredients, and excellent taste.
- Room Service: Available almost 24 hours. Breakfast is always served as room service.
Absolute Bliss – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic Double Room • Classic Double Room with Hot Tub • Junior Suite • Elegant Suite • Honeymoon Suite • Absolute Luxury Spa Villa
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their room categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces, and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: Their top category is the Absolute Luxury Spa Villa. This spacious 1-bedroom villa is 80 sqm with a king-sized bed, separate living room, steam shower with light therapy, jetted spa tub for 2, and a private, heated swimming pool on its spacious veranda.
- For Families: This is an adults-only hotel, and guests must be at least 16 years old to stay. There are no rooms suitable for children, and none that accommodate more than 2 guests.
Absolute Bliss – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in the center of Imerovigli above the caldera and the Oia-Fira hiking trail, with the village’s best restaurants, shops, and attractions just a few meters away. Easy access to all dining and attractions in Imerovigli as well as the nightlife and shopping in Fira, just a 30-minute walk south.
- Bus: The nearest bus stop is in Imerovigli village, a 5-minute walk from the hotel. Buses here serve all of the major villages and beaches on the island, often with a change in Fira. Tickets are bought on board and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi, all the way down in Fira, so not very practical to walk or bus to. Plus, there is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (including guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have them meet you directly at the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations, and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Imerovigli to Fira is roughly €15, and from Imerovigli to the airport or port is around €25 to €35.
- Scooters/Motorcycles: Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop-offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs/Quads: ATVs are a fun and popular mode of transportation with tourists, but for the locals stuck driving behind them, they move too slowly and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. For those who don’t ride quads regularly (i.e. most people), they can be dangerous at high speeds and on turns. Crashing your ATV is a sure-fire way to ruin your vacation.
Absolute Bliss – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Le Moustache: Elevated Greek and Mediterranean dining and excellent cocktails with panoramic sunset views over the caldera.
- Avocado: Traditional Greek menu, charming space, super friendly staff. Cycladic recipes and a fantastic selection of Santorinian wines.
- Anogi: Al fresco dining with local specialties and classic Greek dishes. Rich flavors and large portions, so come hungry.
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious.
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal.
- Vezené: Mediterranean-Asian fusion with spectacular sunset views and a romantic ambiance. Stupidly expensive but everything on the menu is absolute perfection.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Buddha Bar Beach: Upscale cocktail bar, restaurant, and shisha lounge with views over Skaros Rock to the caldera. Pricey but on point.
- Volkan on the Rocks: Great brewpub in Firostefani with amazing views and an outdoor cinema.
Best Nearby Cafes
- Hlios Bakery: Good coffee, basic pastries, and deli sandwiches. Not exceptional, but they’re cheap and they deliver (cash only for deliveries).
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb, and the sunset views are gorgeous.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Pegasus Boutique: Next to the hotel of the same name, this little boutique offers clothing, shoes, swimwear, and accessories by Greek designers.
- Under a Fig Tree: Upscale boutique featuring Greek-designed fashion, accessories, and swimwear, right on the Oia-Fira trail.
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes from 2 to 4 hours; heading south to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel, takes about 30-40 minutes. Add about an hour for a detour at Skaros Rock either way. 1-minute walk from the hotel.
- Imerovigli Basketball Court: Not an attraction, but good to know. This is the main parking area in Imerovigli.
- Anastasi Church: The most picturesque, blue-domed church in Imerovigli offers gorgeous caldera views overlooking Skaros Rock. Popular for weddings and photo shoots.
- Agios Georgios Church: Small white church on a platform over the caldera, marking the start of the trail to Skaros Rock. Gorgeous, panoramic views from here.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Mini Market: There is a mini market and ATM just across from the hotel. 1-minute walk.
- Supermarket Nissi: The friendliest market in the area, and usually the best prices in Imerovigli.
- Jimmy’s Market Cava: Market and deli with a great selection (especially the wines), plus great coffee and breakfast sandwiches (more consistent and better quality breakfasts than Hlios, but they don’t deliver).
Absolute Bliss – The Hotel
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter