• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links).
• Charitable Giving: I use some of these earnings for my monthly donation.
• Updates: Get my free newsletter and all new travel guides, maps & hotel reviews.
Astra Suites – Award-winning, all-suite hotel in Imerovigli with an infinity pool, romantic dining, and panoramic caldera views.
Astra Suites offers unparalleled caldera views from each suite and villa, from the dining terrace and bar, and from the clifftop infinity pool (heated in the spring and fall). All suites include a kitchenette, a private balcony, and a complimentary bottle of Santorinian wine. Luxury suites are more spacious and secluded than standard suites, and many offer outdoor jacuzzis or private pools. Dining is fantastic, with a focus on modern interpretations of traditional recipes, local ingredients, and great wines. Astra’s staff is incredibly service-oriented, catering to each guest’s individual needs. Expect to feel pampered here.
Astra Suites – Video
Astra Suites – Location
- Area: Absolutely gorgeous location in the heart of Imerovigli village, with amazing dining and attractions all within a couple of minutes from the hotel. Imerovigli sits at the highest elevation on the caldera, and the views are stellar throughout the hotel and at most of the restaurants here.
- How to Get There: The hotel sits above the caldera, in the center of Imerovigli village, not far off the main road connecting Fira and Oia, making it easy to reach by bus, taxi, or rental car. There are buses at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from the Santorini airport (both buses will stop in Fira from where you’ll get a different bus to Imerovigli – the entire trip from port or airport to Imerovigli will take around an hour). The bus stop is a 7 minutes from the hotel. Santorini taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there is often a long wait; schedule ahead to avoid waiting, or rent a car. A taxi from the airport to Astra Suites should cost €25 to €30, and a taxi from the ferry port to Astra Suites should be about €30 to €35. If renting a car there is free parking near the Imerovigli Basketball Court, and another parking lot near Sunbird Rent-A-Car. Imerovigli has the hardest-to-find parking in Santorini, so you may have to circle around a couple times to find a spot.
- Handy to: The Oia-Fira Hiking Trail (1-minute walk), Anastasi Church (2-minute walk), Skaros Rock (11-minute walk).
Map of Astra Suites
Astra Suites – The Basics
- Ages: The hotel is mostly geared towards adults, though children are allowed in the Family Suites and the Astra Private Villa, so if you need strictly adults-only this is not the hotel. Guests tend to be American or British couples celebrating honeymoons or anniversaries.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a quiet, black sand beach with intriguing wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs (15-minute drive). The north end has a small harbor, and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos (12-minute drive). From the hotel, it’s a short 4.8 km drive to the north end, or 7.2 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Panoramic caldera views throughout the hotel with Skaros Rock dominating the center, Oia to the northwest, Thirassia to the west, and the volcanoes to the southwest.
- Kitchen: All suites include a fully-equipped kitchenette with hot plates available on request. The Astra Private Villa has a full kitchen and separate dining room.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Several room categories offer private pools or jacuzzis, namely the Astra Pool Suite, Astra Infinity Pool Suite, Astra Suite with Outdoor Jacuzzi (aka Honeymoon Suite), and the Astra Deluxe Indoor Pool Suite (with a cave-style pool). The Astra Private Villa offers an outdoor jacuzzi and an infinity pool. Jacuzzis are heated year-round, while the pools are heated in spring and fall only.
- Parking: There is free street parking in front of the hotel, but parking is often full there. The village’s main parking area is all around the Imerovigli Basketball Court, and there is a small parking lot near Sunbird Rent-A-Car. Imerovigli has the hardest-to-find parking in Santorini, so you may have to circle around a couple of times to find a spot.
- Extras: Wedding packages for small parties.
- When to Book: The hotel is open from early April to late October. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during the high season from June through September, and about 2 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 23641
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: astrasuites.com
Astra Suites – Amenities
- Pool: Private infinity pool overlooking the caldera with breathtaking views. Heated during the spring and fall; refreshingly cool in the summer.
- Spa: There is a massage room for body treatments, as well as a relaxation area (available by appointment only) with a jacuzzi and a steam room.
- Fitness Center: No gym.
- For Disabled Guests: This is a caldera hotel with lots of steps and no elevator. Many of the smaller suites have loft bedrooms. Not suitable for guests with mobility issues.
- For Families: Most suites are reserved for adults only, though children 12 and older are allowed in the Family Suite and the Villa. The Family Suite offers 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a private terrace located on the same floor as the main pool. The Astra Private Villa offers 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, an outdoor jacuzzi, and a pool.
- Activities: Astra’s experienced concierge team can book caldera yacht cruises and customizable island tours for couples or groups.
Astra Suites – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Astra Restaurant offers Greek and Mediterranean dishes for lunch (12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.) and dinner (7:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.) The dining terrace overlooks the caldera, and is the ideal perch for a sunset view. Lunch service is casual, while dinner is an elegant fine dining experience.
- Lounge/Bar: The Pool Bar offers tailor-made and signature cocktails, alongside familiar favorites and excellent local wines with sweeping caldera views. Light bites and snacks are available throughout the day. Open from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Breakfast: A complimentary, a la carte breakfast is served to each suite daily at the time of your choosing. Guests have their choice from an extensive menu of freshly baked pastries, homemade jams, freshly squeezed juices, and great coffee.
- Room Service: Always for breakfast and available for meals, snacks, and drinks from 12:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Private candlelight dinners can also be arranged on the suite balconies.
Astra Suites – Rooms
- Room Types: Studio • Classic Junior Suite • Premier Junior Suite • Senior Suite • Family Suite • Superior Suite • Astra Pool Suite • Astra Infinity Pool Suite • Astra Suite with Outdoor Jacuzzi • Astra Deluxe Indoor Pool Suite • Astra Private Villa
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their room categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: The best suites for couples are the Astra Infinity Pool Suite and the Astra Suite with Outdoor Jacuzzi. Both of these suites offer 60-70 sqm interior space, a bedroom with a king bed, a separate living room, and a kitchenette, and are located on a higher floor for more privacy. The outdoor jacuzzi is heated year-round, while the infinity pool is heated in the spring and fall only.
- For Families: Most suites at Astra are for adults only, though children 12 years and above are permitted in the Family Suite or the Astra Private Villa. The Astra Private Villa is the best option for families, and offers 160 sqm interior space plus 160 sqm outdoor space, with a heated jacuzzi and an infinity pool (heated in spring and fall) overlooking the caldera. The villa offers a master bedroom with a king bed and ensuite bathroom, a second bedroom with 1 king or 2 twin beds and an ensuite bathroom, a guest bathroom, full-sized kitchen, living room, and dining room. The villa is located about 500m from the main hotel for ultimate privacy. The Family Suite has a private terrace, and is located on the same floor as the main pool. With 55 sqm interior space, it offers 1 master bedroom with a king bed and ensuite bathroom, a smaller bedroom with a double bed and ensuite bathroom, and a single-sized sofa bed, plus a kitchenette and living room.
Astra Suites – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in the center of Imerovigli, above the caldera, and on the Oia-Fira hiking trail, with the village’s best restaurants, shops, and attractions just a few meters away. Easy access to all dining and attractions in Imerovigli, as well as the nightlife and shopping in Fira, just a 30-minute walk south.
- Bus: The nearest bus stop is in Imerovigli village, near Sunbird car rental and Posidonia Tavern, a 7-minute walk from the hotel. Buses here serve all of the major villages and beaches on the island, often with a change in Fira if heading to the airport, port, or beaches. Tickets are bought on board, and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi, all the way down in Fira, so not very practical. Plus, there is often a wait as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island. Book taxis in advance ahead to avoid the wait, and have them meet you directly at the hotel. The average rate from Imerovigli to Fira is roughly €10, and from Imerovigli to the airport or port is around €25 and €35.
- Scooters/motorcycles/ATVs: Just don’t, unless you’re Evel Knievel! Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop-offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
Astra Suites – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious. 1-minute walk.
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal. 6-minute walk.
- Avocado: Traditional Greek menu, charming space, super friendly staff. Cycladic recipes and a fantastic selection of Santorinian wines. 6-minute walk.
- Le Moustache: Elevated Greek and Mediterranean dining and excellent cocktails with panoramic sunset views over the caldera. 7-minute walk.
- Anogi: Al fresco dining with local specialties and classic Greek dishes. Rich flavors and large portions, so come hungry. 7-minute walk.
- OVAC: Mediterranean-Asian fusion with spectacular sunset views and a romantic ambiance. Stupidly expensive, but everything on the menu is absolute perfection. 23-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
Best Nearby Cafes
- Hlios Bakery: Good coffee, basic pastries, and deli sandwiches. Not exceptional, but they’re cheap and they deliver (cash only for deliveries). 8-minute walk.
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb and the sunset views are gorgeous. 15-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: 1-minute walk. One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes about 2 hours. Heading south to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel, takes about 32 minutes. Add at least 30 minutes for a detour at Skaros Rock either way.
- Agios Georgios Church: Small white church on a platform over the caldera, marking the start of the trail to Skaros Rock. Gorgeous, panoramic views from here. 1-minute walk.
- Anastasi Church: The most picturesque, blue-domed church in Imerovigli offers gorgeous caldera views overlooking Skaros Rock. Popular for weddings and photo shoots. 2-minute walk.
- Imerovigli Basketball Court: Not an attraction, but good to know. This is the main parking area in Imerovigli. 8-minute walk or 3-minute drive.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active. 11-minute walk.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Jimmy’s Market Cava: Market and deli with a great selection (especially the wines) plus great coffee and breakfast sandwiches (more consistent and better quality breakfasts than Hlios, but they don’t deliver). 7-minute walk.
- Supermarket Nissi: The friendliest market in the area, and usually the best prices in Imerovigli. 7-minute walk.
Astra Suites – The Hotel
- Aria Suites – Review
- Athina Luxury Suites – Review
- Celestia Grand – Review
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Review
- Anteliz Suites – Review
- Belvedere Suites – Review
- Homeric Poems – Review
- The Tsitouras Collection – Review
- Above Blue Suites – Review
- Absolute Bliss – Review
- Aenaon Villas – Review
- Andronis Concept Wellness – Review
- Cavo Tagoo – Review
- Chromata Santorini – Review
- Grace Santorini – Review
- Heliotopos Hotel – Review
- Honeymoon Petra Villas – Review
- Iconic Santorini – Review
- Remezzo Villas – Review
- San Antonio – Review
- Santorini Princess Spa Hotel – Review
- Sophia Luxury Suites – Review
- Tamarix Del Mar – Review
- Vedema Resort – Review
- 270 Oia’s View – Review
- Andronis Boutique Hotel – Review
- Andronis Luxury Suites – Review
- Anemomilos Hotel and Villas – Review
- Canaves Hotel – Review
- Canaves Suites – Review
- Elysian Suites – Review
- Esperas Santorini – Review
- Gabbiano Apartments – Review
- Ikies Traditional Houses – Review
- Katikies – Review
- Kirini Santorini – Review
- Maregio Suites – Review
- Myst Boutique Hotel – Review
- Mystique Hotel – Review
- Mythique Villas and Suites – Review
- Oia Castle Luxury Suites – Review
- Perivolas Hotel – Review
- Santo Maris Oia – Review
- White Pearl Villas – Review
- Zoe Aegeas Traditional Houses – Review
- Meltemi Village – Review
- Istoria Hotel – Review
- Carpe Diem Santorini – Review