• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links).
• Charitable Giving: I use some of these earnings for my monthly donation.
• Updates: Get my free newsletter and all new travel guides, maps & hotel reviews.
Athina Luxury Suites – Sensational boutique hotel on the Fira caldera with gorgeous suites, a wonderful restaurant, sweeping caldera views, and heartfelt hospitality.
Athina Luxury Suites is known for its high quality of service and its balance of refined and opulent design elements. Suites for couples or families offer sunset views, tablets, and a choice of Hermès or Guerlain amenities; many feature indoor or outdoor private jacuzzis. The heated infinity pool offers sunset caldera views and a swim up bar. The restaurant Esperisma boasts stunning sunset views from its dining terrace along with a gourmet Mediterranean-Greek menu. The staff specializes in bespoke experiences, reaching out to each guest long before their arrivals to create the perfect, personalized vacation.
Athina Luxury Suites – Video
Athina Luxury Suites – Location
- Area: Absolutely gorgeous location in Fira, with unobstructed caldera views from Oia to Akrotiri overlooking the volcanoes and toward Thirassia Island. The hotel sits in a quiet pocket down the side of the caldera and just a short walk to the nightlife of Fira and the romantic vistas of Imerovigli.
- How to Get There: Athina Luxury Suites is located midway down the caldera in Fira, very near the main walking path and just a little further to the main road connecting Fira with the rest of the island, making it easy to reach by bus, taxi, or driving yourself. There are always buses at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini airport. All buses stop in Fira. The entire trip from port or airport to Fira should take around 25 minutes (longer if there is traffic). Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there is often a long wait; schedule ahead to avoid this – or rent a car. A taxi from the airport to Athina Luxury Suites should be about €15 to €20, and a taxi from the ferry port to Athina Luxury Suites should be about €10 to €15. There will be a small surcharge for luggage or for booking in advance. If renting a car, there are several free parking lots within a 5 to 10-minute walk of the property.
- Handy to: The Oia-Fira Hiking Trail (1-minute walk), Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral (2-minute walk), Fira nightlife, dining, and shopping (5-minute walk).
Map of Athina Luxury Suites
Athina Luxury Suites – The Basics
- Ages: All ages are allowed at the hotel. Guests tend to be couples from the U.S., U.K., and Australia celebrating a romantic occasion, usually a honeymoon or anniversary.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a quiet, black sand beach with intriguing wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant there is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs (10-minute drive). The north end has a small harbor and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos (9-minute drive). From the hotel, it’s a short 3.8 km drive to the north end or 4.2 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Athina Luxury Suites offers expansive views of the caldera from Akrotiri to Oia with especially beautiful sunsets over the volcanoes and Thirassia Island.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Many of Athina’s suites have private jacuzzis. The Honeymoon Suite, Royal Suite, Petit Cave Suite, and Cave Suite all have outdoor jacuzzis, while the Grand Cave Suite has both indoor and outdoor jacuzzis.
- Parking: There is free parking in the public lot nearby.
- Extras: Pre-arrival contact and planning, daily maid service, 24-hour reception and concierge, room service until midnight, in-room spa services, babysitting, small weddings, doctor on call.
- When to Book: The hotel usually operates from March through November. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during the high season from June through September, and about 3 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 24910
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: athinasuites.com
Athina Luxury Suites – Amenities
- Pool: Infinity pool with caldera views. Half is open to the sun, and half is covered by a cave.
- Spa: No spa onsite, but in-room massage, spa, and nail treatments can be arranged.
- Fitness Center: Small gym with the necessities: cardio machines, free weights and bench, yoga mats, exercise balls.
- For Disabled Guests: This is a caldera hotel with lots of steps and no elevators. It is not suitable for guests with mobility issues.
- For Families: All ages are allowed at the hotel, and several suites and villas can accommodate groups of 4 to 6 guests. The hotel offers babysitting services.
- Activities: The 24-hour concierge team is happy to arrange wine tours and tastings, yachting, diving, helicopter day trips, excursions to the archaeological sites, photography tours, and more.
Athina Luxury Suites – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Esperisma Bar Restaurant serves a delightful menu, highlighting the best local ingredients, fresh seafood and meats, and amazing desserts. The menu focuses on creative Greek and Mediterranean dishes, served with a curated collection of Santorinian wines and rich desserts. Though the food, setting, and service are top-tier, the restaurant never feels too formal. Esperisma’s dining experience is enhanced by the stunning caldera views, especially during sunset. Private dining is available on an exclusive balcony, and they have extensive experience setting up for proposals. Esperisma serves lunch and dinner from 12:30 pm until 12 am. This popular restaurant is open to the public, and reservations are recommended to ensure one of the best tables.
- Lounge/Bar: The pool is served by Esperisma Bar all day long. Rumor has it that there may also be a swim-up bar opening in summer 2019. If so, it will be the first in Santorini.
- Breakfast: A complimentary, a la carte breakfast is served to each suite daily at the time of your choosing between 8 am and 11:30 am. Everything is cooked to order, with a large and varied menu to choose from. Excellent coffee too.
- Room Service: Available all day long until midnight.
Athina Luxury Suites – Rooms
- Room Types: Junior Suite • Master Loft Suite • Deluxe Suite • Honeymoon Suite • Royal Suite • Junior Cave Suite • Petit Cave Suite • Cave Suite • Grand Cave Suite
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their room categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: The best room for couples is the Grand Cave Suite. This lavish suite features a loft bedroom with a king-sized bed, a spacious living area, and both indoor and outdoor jacuzzis. The suite boasts traditional cave-style architecture paired with contemporary design and furnishings. And of course, panoramic caldera views.
- For Families: All ages are allowed at the hotel, and several suites and villas can accommodate groups of 4 to 6 guests. The best option for families is the Royal Suite, which boasts 140 sqm of living space, 2 bedrooms both with king beds, 3 bathrooms, a palatial living area with double-sized sofa bed, and an enormous caldera-view terrace with a jacuzzi.
Athina Luxury Suites – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in the heart of Fira, right above the caldera and on the Oia-Fira hiking trail. The island’s best restaurants, bars, shops, and attractions await just a few meters away. Fira is the best village for walking, as nearly everything anyone could want can be found within 5 minutes in any direction.
- Bus: The Central Bus Station in Fira, a 6-minute walk from the hotel, is Santorini’s bus hub. All routes to the port, airport, beaches, and other villages travel through Fira, making this a super convenient spot for exploring the whole island. Tickets are bought on board and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 am to 5 am) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi in Fira, about 5 minutes away on foot. There is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (with guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have the driver meet you closer to the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Fira to the port is between €10 to €15, and from Fira to the airport is around €15 to €20.
- Scooters/Motorcycles: Just don’t, unless you’re Evel Knievel! Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop-offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs: This is a super popular mode of transportation with tourists, but the locals absolutely hate them. They move too slowly and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. ATVs with smaller motors have been banned from the roads, and a full ban is expected to pass soon.
Athina Luxury Suites – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Ouzeri: Exceptional spot for meze (Greek tapas), offering a modern take on traditional Santorinian flavors and Mediterranean favorites. 3-minute walk.
- Argo Restaurant: Argo features a rich menu of Santorinian and Mediterranean flavors with modern, international influences. With amazing views over the caldera, this is a popular spot for sunset dining. Reserve in advance to ensure a view table. 5-minute walk.
- Momo: Brand new, casual, Indian and Thai restaurant with a clay tandoori oven and fantastic curries. 5-minute walk.
- Lucky’s Souvlakis: Hands-down the very best gyros in Santorini. Eating at Lucky’s is an absolute must when in Santorini. Authentic, filling, and affordable. 5-minute walk.
- Pelican Kipos: Stellar, wine-centric restaurant with over 600 varieties of local and international wines in a charming garden setting. Wine tastings and cellar tours available daily. 6-minute walk.
- Idol Restaurant: All-day restaurant serving elevated versions of traditional Santorinian dishes with 3 dining terraces and panoramic views. 6-minute walk.
- Falafeland: Top-notch vegetarian and vegan street food spot with amazing falafel and veggie burgers, and cozy outdoor seating. There are a handful of meat dishes here too, which are prepared separately from the vegetarian/vegan items. 7-minute walk.
- Aktaion: The oldest taverna on the island, Aktaion has been serving authentic Santorinian flavors since 1922. 18-minute walk.
- Mylos Bar Restaurant: Modern Greek restaurant with a creative menu and plenty of vegetarian options located in a picturesque windmill with caldera views. 19-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- PK Cocktail Bar: The best bar in Santorini, PK Cocktail Bar offers superb sunset views, creative cocktails, and 3 levels of seating in the caldera. 2-minute walk.
- Franco’s Bar: Well-known for gorgeous views and delicious drinks, Franco’s is one of the best spots to take in the Fira sunset. 3-minute walk.
- Casablanca Soul Bar: With house and deep house DJs or a live band every night, tasty cocktails, and a truly friendly staff, Casablanca is always a favorite for locals and travelers alike. 4-minute walk.
- Two Brothers: Open almost all day, from 10 am to 6 am the next day, Two Brothers is almost 2 different bars in the daytime versus the night. During the day, the bar is quiet and chill, with basic drinks and a solid 2-for-1 happy hour. Late nights, it becomes the wildest bar in Santorini: crowded, crazy, loud, and fun. 4-minute walk.
- Tropical Bar: Great cocktails and a magnificent view make this a popular spot for catching the sunset. The drinks menu strips down to basic offerings after sundown, but at happy hours (9 pm to 11 pm), all cocktails are half price. Aussies take note: they sell VB here. 4-minute walk.
- MoMix: Half bar, half mad science lab, MoMix (short for Molecular Mixology) creates wild cocktails served in test tubes, as edible bites or in bubble form. 5-minute walk.
- Kira Thira Jazz Bar: A Santorinian standby since 1976, Kira Thira is a cozy, casual bar with fantastic sangria, strong drinks, and an eclectic selection of music. 5-minute walk.
- Tango Champagne and Cocktail Bar: Refined lounge with a romantic vibe and picture-perfect sunset views. 5-minute walk.
- Enigma Club: The oldest dance club in Santorini (since 1979), Enigma opens late and keeps the party going until 7 the next morning. A hotspot for visiting celebrity DJs who spin the best dance music from Greek and international artists. 6-minute walk.
- Volkan on the Rocks: Great brewpub in Firostefani with amazing views and an outdoor cinema. 15-minute walk.
Best Nearby Cafes
- Enigma Café: Excellent café with fantastic coffee and cocktails, plus simple and delicious breakfast and sandwiches. 2-minute walk.
- Coffee Island: Off the main tourist track, this little shop has fantastic coffee drinks (maybe the only spot you can get a flat white in Santorini), a great selection of coffee by the kilo, and absolutely the best prices. 8-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Nick the Greek: One of the oldest jewelry shops in Santorini, Nick the Greek sells fine gold jewelry and luxury watches from Greek and international brands. 2-minute walk.
- Koukla: Eclectic, artsy jewelry in a range of styles and prices. 2-minute walk.
- Drakkar Santorini: International and Greek designer-brand clothing for women. 3-minute walk.
- Ammos: This shop has 2 locations in Fira, 1 in Kamari, and 1 in Oia. All offer a wide selection of international and Greek brands. 4-minute walk to either of the Fira locations.
- Noi: Upscale women’s boutique offering elegant summer clothing, shoes, and accessories on Santorini’s famous Gold Street. 4-minute walk.
- Caldera Jewelry/Golden Santorini: Right across from Noi, Golden Santorini/Caldera Jewelry has offered fine gold and precious stone jewelry since 1976. 4-minute walk.
- Spicy Boutique and The Lace: These sister boutiques are located right next door to each other in the heart of Fira. Both shops sell Greek-designed women’s clothing and accessories. Spicy offers edgier styles, while The Lace caters toward a femme crowd. 4-minute walk.
- The White: Across from Spicy, The White is a luxury boutique selling hand-crafted clothing and footwear by Santorinian designer Sophia H. 4-minute walk.
- Isia: High-end, women’s clothing and accessories with unique pieces inspired by traditional Greek designs. You can find it on the footpath next door to Cava Mejjo. 4-minute walk.
- White House Santorini: Specialty shop for all-white summer garb for men, women, and children. Located across the walking path from Idol Restaurant in Fira. 6-minute walk.
- Little Dot: Trendy boutique offering men’s and women’s street, surf, and swim wear. 9-minute walk.
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: 1-minute walk. One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes about 2 hours 25 minutes (add at least 30 minutes for a detour at Skaros Rock when you head north).
- Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral: This imposing cathedral dominates the main square in Fira. Fully renovated after the ’56 earthquake, this landmark church is surrounded by a series of grand archways, and is adorned with frescoed walls and ceilings inside in gold and vivid colors. 2-minute walk.
- Old Port of Fira: A.K.A. Fira Skala, the Old Port has a few tavernas, shops, and pretty sea views. The only connections from the port to the village are the cable cars, donkeys, or walking up the 587 steps. Nowadays, the Old Port is mostly used by cruise ship passengers, arriving daily by the thousands in the high season. To avoid the largest crowds, plan excursions around the cruise ship calendar. The beginning of the stairway down is a 3-minute walk away, plus 16 more minutes to hike down.
- Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist: Often referred to simply as the Catholic Church, St. John’s is recognizable by its brilliant yellow and blue exterior and clock tower. 9-minute walk.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active. The trailhead leading to Skaros begins at Agios Georgios Church in Imerovigli. 50-minute walk.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Sklavenitis Supermarket: Great little market with friendly staff and a good selection of produce, snacks, drinks, and more at a fair price. 6-minute walk.
- Green Market Organics: Small but well-stocked grocery store in Fira with specialty items (gluten-free, lactose-free, vegan, etc.), organic, and local products. 7-minute walk.
Athina Luxury Suites – The Hotel
- Aria Suites – Review
- Celestia Grand – Review
- Cori Rigas Suites – Review
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Review
- Anteliz Suites – Review
- Belvedere Suites – Review
- Homeric Poems – Review
- The Tsitouras Collection – Review
- Above Blue Suites – Review
- Absolute Bliss – Review
- Aenaon Villas – Review
- Andronis Concept Wellness – Review
- Astra Suites – Review
- Cavo Tagoo – Review
- Chromata Santorini – Review
- Grace Santorini – Review
- Heliotopos Hotel – Review
- Honeymoon Petra Villas – Review
- Iconic Santorini – Review
- Remezzo Villas – Review
- San Antonio – Review
- Santorini Princess Spa Hotel – Review
- Sophia Luxury Suites – Review
- Tamarix Del Mar – Review
- Vedema Resort – Review
- 270 Oia’s View – Review
- Andronis Boutique Hotel – Review
- Andronis Luxury Suites – Review
- Anemomilos Hotel and Villas – Review
- Canaves Hotel – Review
- Canaves Suites – Review
- Elysian Suites – Review
- Esperas Santorini – Review
- Gabbiano Apartments – Review
- Ikies Traditional Houses – Review
- Katikies – Review
- Kirini Santorini – Review
- Maregio Suites – Review
- Myst Boutique Hotel – Review
- Mystique Hotel – Review
- Mythique Villas and Suites – Review
- Oia Castle Luxury Suites – Review
- Perivolas Hotel – Review
- Santo Maris Oia – Review
- White Pearl Villas – Review
- Zoe Aegeas Traditional Houses – Review
- Meltemi Village – Review
- Istoria Hotel – Review
- Carpe Diem Santorini – Review