Katikies Chromata Santorini – Contemporary, luxurious hotel perched on the edge of the caldera with fantastic dining and drinks, a trendy vibe, and an infinity pool.
This stylish hotel fuses Santorinian cave-style design with a modern twist. Rooms, suites, and villas are all whitewashed, featuring hand-carved, cave-style architecture with subtle pops of color, all designed to enhance their expansive, caldera views over the volcano. Most categories have private jacuzzis or pools. The shared infinity pool overlooks the caldera, and is open to the sun for most of its length, with a portion covered in a cave. Amazing dining options include an all-day Mediterranean restaurant, a sushi bar, and a pool bar. A 1:2 staff to guest ratio ensures impeccable service, and their Katikies Club, which all guests become part of just by staying, offers exclusive experiences like sailing, wine tasting to VIP archaeological site access, and more.
Katikies Chromata Santorini – Location
Absolutely gorgeous location in the heart of Imerovigli village, with amazing dining and attractions within 1 to 10 minutes of the hotel. Imerovigli is the highest elevation on the caldera; views are stellar throughout the hotel and at most of the restaurants here.
• How to Get There: The hotel sits above the caldera in the center of Imerovigli village and the main road connecting Fira and Oia, making it easy to get to whether by bus, taxi, or driving yourself. It is approximately 8km from the Santorini Airport to Katikies Chromata Hotel, and 12km from the ferry port.
There are always buses waiting at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini Airport. There are no direct buses from the port or airport to Imerovigli, however; buses from both locations go to Fira, where you must then board a different bus to Imerovigli – the entire trip from the port or airport to Imerovigli will take around an hour and cost about €5 in total. Tickets are purchased on the bus, in cash only. The bus stop is just 3 minutes away on foot; the walk from there to the hotel is a gentle downhill slope, easy to navigate with luggage.
Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there can be a long wait; schedule a ride through a private car service in advance to avoid this (I use and recommend Welcome Pickups). Taxis on Santorini are not metered, so be sure to agree on a price with the driver before setting out. A taxi from the airport to Katikies Chromata Hotel should be about €25 to €30, and a taxi from the ferry port around €30. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more – about $45 (or €37), but is worth it to avoid the wait and for the convenience of paying ahead.
For those who prefer to drive themselves, we recommend renting a car either at the airport on arrival, or in Fira. The road from the ferry port is steep and narrow, with many tricky switchbacks, large trucks, and buses. Leave that for the locals to navigate. We strongly recommend reserving a vehicle in advance, especially if you require automatic transmission. There are a few free lots near the hotel, and the staff will assist with parking upon arrival.
Map of Katikies Chromata Santorini
Katikies Chromata Santorini – The Basics
- Ages: An adults-only hotel, only ages 13 and older are allowed. Guests tend to be couples celebrating a special occasion, usually a honeymoon, anniversary, or even having their wedding here.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a quiet, black sand beach with intriguing wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs (15-minute drive). The north end has a small harbor and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos (11-minute drive). From the hotel, it’s a short 5 km drive to the north end or 7 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Overlooking the caldera with excellent sunset views from the rooms and throughout the hotel.
- Kitchen: The Saint Nicholas Cave House Villa has a full kitchen.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Many suites and the villa have private jacuzzis or heated plunge pools. The Superior Jetted Tub Suite, Honeymoon Jetted Tub Suite, and Chromata Jetted Tub Suite have indoor jacuzzis. The Master Suite, Chromata Infinity Pool Suite, and the Saint Nicholas Cave House Villa have heated, outdoor plunge pools.
- Parking: There are a few free parking lots nearby, and the staff will assist with parking.
- Extras: Butler service on request, turn down service, choice of in-room luxury amenities, Katikies Club exclusive experiences, weddings and events.
- When to Book: The hotel operates from April 1st until November 15th. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during high season from June through September, and about 2 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 23227
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: katikies.com/chromatasantorini
Katikies Chromata Santorini – Amenities
- Pool: Infinity pool (unheated) with expansive caldera views, and a small shaded portion.
- Spa: Access to the spa (with complimentary transportation) at their sister property Kirini in Oia.
- Fitness Center: Access to the gym at their sister property Katikies Kirini in Oia.
- For Disabled Guests: This is a caldera hotel with lots of steps and no elevator. This hotel is not suitable for guests in wheelchairs or with mobility issues.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, only guests 13 and older are permitted. There are no special facilities or amenities for children. Many suites can accommodate up to 3 guests, but only the villa can accommodate up to 5.
- Activities: Exclusive activities are available through the Katikies Club for an additional fee: wine tasting, caldera cruises (catamaran, speed boat, or Riva boat), VIP access to the archaeological sites, car tours of the island, private dining, exclusive spa treatments, private transfers with champagne.
Katikies Chromata Santorini – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Chroma Restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks all day. The menu features modern Mediterranean plates with regional specialties, local ingredients, and an impressive selection of local and international wines. Sunset dining is amazing here.
- Lounge/Bar: Chroma Champagne Bar and Sushi is open for lunch and dinner, serving sumptuous sushi and sashimi with a solid selection of champagnes and bubbly cocktails. Great sunset views from here and candlelit dining.
- Lounge/Bar: The Cocktail Bar and Aperitivo Bar serve poolside drinks from midday through the evening.
- Breakfast: Complimentary breakfast is served daily from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The buffet is supplemented by an a la carte menu and is served at Chroma. Or guests can order a la carte the night before, and have it delivered to their room at their time of choice at no extra cost.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Katikies Chromata Santorini – Rooms
- Room Types: Double Room • Junior Suite • Senior Suite • Superior Jetted Tub Suite • Honeymoon Jetted Tub Suite • Chromata Jetted Tub Suite • Master Pool Suite • Chromata Infinity Pool Suite • Saint Nicholas Cave House Villa with Private Pool
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their room categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces, and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: The Chromata Infinity Pool Suite offers a spacious 86 sqm open plan living space with a king-sized bed. Its generous bathroom features an open-style shower and a deep soaking tub with jacuzzi jets. A large veranda boasts a private, heated plunge pool and an al fresco dining area with panoramic views of the caldera over the volcano. Located on the lower level, this is the most private suite in the hotel.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, only guests ages 13 and older are permitted. There are no special amenities or facilities for children. Only the Sani Nicholas Cave House Villa accommodates groups of 4 or 5 guests. This 2-floor, 165 sqm villa features 2 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms (one with a jacuzzi), a separate living area, a full kitchen, indoor and outdoor dining spaces, 2 balconies, and a private, heated plunge pool.
Katikies Chromata Santorini – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in the center of Imerovigli, with the village’s best restaurants, shops, and attractions just a few meters away along the Oia-Fira hiking trail. Easy access to all dining and attractions in Imerovigli as well as the nightlife and shopping in Fira, just 25 minutes along the path.
- Bus: The nearest bus is in Imerovigli village, a 3-minute walk from the hotel. Buses here serve all of the major villages and beaches on the island, often with a change in Fira. Tickets are bought on board and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi, all the way down in Fira, so not very practical to walk or bus to. Plus, there is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (with guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have them meet you directly at the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Imerovigli to Fira is roughly €15, and from Imerovigli to the airport or port is around €25 to €35.
- Scooters/Motorcycles: Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs/Quads: ATVs are a fun and popular mode of transportation with tourists, but for the locals stuck driving behind them, they move too slowly and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. For those who don’t ride quads regularly (i.e. most people), they can be dangerous at high speeds and on turns. Crashing your ATV is a sure-fire way to ruin your vacation.
Katikies Chromata Santorini – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal. 1-minute walk.
- Anogi: Al fresco dining with local specialties and classic Greek dishes. Rich flavors and large portions, so come hungry. 5-minute walk.
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious. 6-minute walk.
- Avocado: Traditional Greek menu, charming space, super friendly staff. Cycladic recipes and a fantastic selection of Santorinian wines. 7-minute walk.
- Le Moustache: Elevated Greek and Mediterranean dining and excellent cocktails with panoramic sunset views over the caldera. 8-minute walk.
- OVAC: Mediterranean-Asian fusion with spectacular sunset views and a romantic ambiance. Stupidly expensive, but everything on the menu is absolute perfection. 24-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
Best Nearby Cafes
- Hlios Bakery: Good coffee, basic pastries, and deli sandwiches. Not exceptional, but they’re cheap and they deliver (cash only for deliveries). 2-minute walk.
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb and the sunset views are gorgeous. 9-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes from 2 to 4 hours; heading south to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel, takes about 30-40 minutes. Add about an hour for a detour at Skaros Rock either way. 1-minute walk from the hotel.
- Imerovigli Basketball Court: Not an attraction, but good to know. This is the main parking area in Imerovigli. 5-minute walk or 3-minute drive.
- Anastasi Church: The most picturesque, blue-domed church in Imerovigli offers gorgeous caldera views overlooking Skaros Rock. Popular for weddings and photo shoots. 3-minute walk.
- Agios Georgios Church: Small white church on a platform over the caldera, marking the start of the trail to Skaros Rock. Gorgeous, panoramic views from here. 5-minute walk.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active. 15-minute walk.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Jimmy’s Market Cava: Market and deli with a great selection (especially the wines) plus great coffee and breakfast sandwiches (more consistent and better quality breakfasts than Hlios, but they don’t deliver). 2-minute walk.
- Supermarket Nissi: The friendliest market in the area, and usually the best prices in Imerovigli. 5-minute walk.
Katikies Chromata Santorini – The Hotel
Akrotiri Hotel Reviews
Fira Hotel Reviews
- Amity Suites
- Aria Suites
- Athina Luxury Suites
- Celestia Grand
- Cori Rigas Suites
- Cosmopolitan Suites
- Katikies Garden
Firostefani Hotel Reviews
- Anteliz Suites
- Belvedere Suites
- Dana Villas & Infinity Suites
- Homeric Poems
- The Tsitouras Collection
Imerovigli Hotel Reviews
- Above Blue Suites
- Absolute Bliss
- Aenaon Villas
- Altana Heritage Suites & Villas
- Andronis Concept Wellness
- Astra Suites
- Cavo Tagoo
- Grace Santorini
- Heliotopos Hotel
- Honeymoon Petra Villas
- Iconic Santorini
- Remezzo Villas
- San Antonio
- Santorini Princess Spa Hotel
- Sophia Luxury Suites
- The Vasilicos
- West East Suites
Kamari Hotel Review
Megalochori Hotel Review
Oia Hotel Reviews
- 270 Oia’s View
- Andronis Arcadia
- Andronis Boutique Hotel
- Andronis Luxury Suites
- Anemomilos Hotel and Villas
- Canaves Hotel
- Canaves Oia Epitome
- Canaves Suites
- Charisma Suites
- Elysian Suites
- Esperas Santorini
- Gabbiano Traditional Cave Houses
- Ikies Santorini
- Katikies Kirini
- Maregio Suites
- Myst Boutique Hotel
- Mystique Hotel
- Mythique Villas and Suites
- Oia Castle Luxury Suites
- Perivolas Hotel
- Santo Maris Oia
- White Pearl Villas
- Zoe Aegeas Traditional Houses
Perissa Hotel Review
Perivolos Hotel Review
Pyrgos Hotel Review