Iconic Santorini – Graceful, boutique luxury hotel with astounding caldera views, an infinity pool, sumptuous dining, and a cozy, cave-style spa.
With superb attention to detail and warm hospitality, Iconic Santorini is among the very best hotels in Santorini. The hotel features classic, cave-style architecture with 100% Greek furnishings and décor. All suites boast private verandas with sweeping caldera views; many add private jacuzzis or heated plunge pools that can be indoor, outdoor, or both. Food is truly outstanding, with Greek and Mediterranean specialties, decadent breakfasts, and a well-curated, local wine menu. The caldera-view infinity pool, holistic spa, and heartfelt service complete the Iconic experience.
Iconic Santorini – Location
• Area: Absolutely gorgeous location in Imerovigli village, with amazing dining and attractions all within a couple of minutes’ walk from the hotel. Imerovigli sits at the highest elevation on the caldera, and the views are stellar throughout the hotel, and from most of the restaurants here.
• How to Get There:
The hotel sits above the caldera in Imerovigli village, not far off the main road connecting Fira and Oia, making it easy to reach by bus, taxi, or driving yourself. It is approximately 8km from the Santorini Airport to Iconic Santorini, and 12km from the ferry port.
There are always buses waiting at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini Airport. There are no direct buses from the port or airport to Imerovigli, however; buses from both locations go to Fira, where you must then board a different bus to Imerovigli – the entire trip from the port or airport to Imerovigli will take around an hour and cost about €5 in total. Tickets are purchased on the bus, in cash only. The bus stop in Imerovigli is just 4 minutes away on foot, and the walk from there to the hotel entrance is mostly flat, easy to navigate with luggage.
Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there can be a long wait; schedule ahead to avoid this (I use and recommend Welcome Pickups). Taxis on Santorini are not metered, so be sure to agree on a price with the driver before setting out. A taxi from the airport to Iconic Santorini should be about €25 to €30, and a taxi from the ferry port around €30.
For those who prefer to drive themselves, we recommend renting a car either at the airport on arrival, or in Fira. The road from the ferry port is steep and narrow, with many tricky switchbacks, large trucks, and buses. Leave that for the locals to navigate. We strongly recommend reserving a vehicle in advance, especially if you require automatic transmission. There is free parking near the Imerovigli Basketball Court and near Sunbird Rent-A-Car. Imerovigli has the hardest-to-find parking in Santorini, so you may have to circle around a couple times to find a spot.
Map of Iconic Santorini
Iconic Santorini – The Basics
- Ages: An adults-only hotel, only ages 14 and older are allowed. Guests tend to be couples celebrating a special occasion, usually a honeymoon, birthday, or anniversary. The average stay here is longer than at most hotels on the island, usually 4-7 nights.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a quiet, black sand beach with intriguing wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs. The north end has a small harbor, and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos. From the hotel, it’s a short 5 km drive to the north end, or 7 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Overlooking the caldera with astonishing sunset views throughout the property, with direct views of the volcanoes, Aspronisi, Akrotiri, and Thirassia.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Several suite types include private jacuzzis and/or plunge pools. Caldera Suites and the Cave Suite offer outdoor, heated, jetted plunge pools; Grotto Suites feature indoor, heated, jetted cave pools; and the Cliff Suite and the Iconic Suite boast indoor and outdoor jetted, heated, plunge pools.
- Parking: There is free street parking near the Imerovigli Basketball Court and near Sunbird Rent-A-Car. Imerovigli has the hardest-to-find parking in Santorini, so you may have to circle around a couple times to find a spot. The porters will meet you at your parking spot to assist with luggage.
- Extras: Breakfast served to room at any time of day, twice daily maid service, and romance packages.
- When to Book: The hotel is open late April to October. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during high season from June through September, and about 3 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 28950
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: iconicsantorini.com
Iconic Santorini – Amenities
- Pool: Unheated infinity pool with jetted sitting area and amazing caldera views.
- Spa: Cozy, cave-style spa with an indoor, heated, jetted, grotto pool.
- Fitness Center: Small gym with cardio machines. The concierge also offers jogging and hiking routes for outdoor exercise on the caldera.
- For Disabled Guests: This is a caldera hotel with lots of steps and no elevator. Not suitable for guests with mobility issues.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, only guests 14 and older are permitted. There are no special facilities or amenities for children.
- Activities: The concierge makes personalized arrangements for island attractions, including wine tours, diving, caldera cruises, archaeological tours, and more.
Iconic Santorini – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Pergola Restaurant specializes in rich, authentic Greek and Mediterranean cuisine, with a focus on local, Santorinian recipes and fresh ingredients. The restaurant is open for lunch from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and for dinner from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Its extensive wine list highlights local and highly sought-after varieties. Drinks and light bites are available all day on the terraces or poolside. Private dining is available in their candle-lit cave or at the chef’s table.
- Breakfast: A rich, complimentary, a la carte breakfast is served to each room daily through the day. The breakfast is one of the best on the island, and is a major highlight here.
- Room Service: Available from early morning until the restaurant closes, around 10:00 p.m.
Iconic Santorini – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic Suite • Cycladic Suite • Caldera Suite • Grotto Suite • Cave Suite • Cliff Suite • Iconic Suite
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their suite categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: The best room is the Iconic Suite, the largest and most lavishly appointed suite onsite. This 1-bedroom suite offers an indoor and an outdoor heated, jetted, plunge pool, the best caldera views, and an oversized king bed. Perks include complimentary airport or port transfer, a bottle of champagne, and courtesy laundry service.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, only guests ages 14 and older are permitted. There are no special amenities or facilities for children. All rooms have a maximum occupancy of 2 guests, so families will need to book at least 2 rooms. However, some Deluxe Rooms have adjoining options. These rooms include a king-sized bed, seating area, and a private terrace with an al fresco dining space and sun loungers. Deluxe Rooms are not listed on Iconic Santorini’s website, but they are listed on Booking.com.
Iconic Santorini – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in the center of Imerovigli, above the caldera, and on the Oia-Fira hiking trail, with the village’s best restaurants, shops, and attractions just a few meters away. Easy access to all dining and attractions in Imerovigli as well as the nightlife and shopping in Fira, just a 24-minute walk south.
- Bus: The nearest bus is in Imerovigli village, near Sunbird car rental and Posidonia Tavern, a 4-minute walk from the hotel. Buses here serve all of the major villages and beaches on the island, often with a change in Fira if heading to the airport, port, or beaches. Tickets are bought on board, and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi, all the way down in Fira, so not very practical to walk or bus to. Plus there is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (with guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have them meet you directly at the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Imerovigli to Fira is roughly €10, and from Imerovigli to the airport or port is around €25 to €30.
- Scooters/Motorcycles: Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop-offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs/Quads: ATVs are a fun and popular mode of transportation with tourists, but for the locals stuck driving behind them, they move too slowly and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. For those who don’t ride quads regularly (i.e. most people), they can be dangerous at high speeds and on turns. Crashing your ATV is a sure-fire way to ruin your vacation.
Iconic Santorini – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal.
- Anogi: Al fresco dining with local specialties and classic Greek dishes. Rich flavors and large portions, so come hungry.
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious.
- Avocado: Traditional Greek menu, charming space, super friendly staff. Cycladic recipes and a fantastic selection of Santorinian wines.
- Le Moustache: Elevated Greek and Mediterranean dining and excellent cocktails with panoramic sunset views over the caldera.
- Vezené: Mediterranean-Asian fusion with spectacular sunset views and a romantic ambiance. Stupidly expensive, but everything on the menu is absolute perfection.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Buddha Bar Beach: Upscale cocktail bar, restaurant, and shisha lounge with views over Skaros Rock to the caldera. Pricey but on point.
- Volkan on the Rocks: Great brewpub in Firostefani with amazing views and an outdoor cinema.
Best Nearby Cafes
- Hlios Bakery: Good coffee, basic pastries, and deli sandwiches. Not exceptional, but they’re cheap and they deliver (cash only for deliveries).
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb and the sunset views are gorgeous.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Pegasus Boutique: Next to the hotel of the same name, this little boutique offers clothing, shoes, swimwear, and accessories by Greek designers.
- Under a Fig Tree: Upscale boutique featuring Greek-designed fashion, accessories, and swimwear right on the Oia-Fira trail.
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes from 2 to 4 hours; heading south to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel, takes about 30-40 minutes. Add about an hour for a detour at Skaros Rock either way. 1-minute walk from the hotel.
- Anastasi Church: The most picturesque, blue-domed church in Imerovigli offers gorgeous caldera views overlooking Skaros Rock. Popular for weddings and photo shoots.
- Agios Georgios Church: Small white church on a platform over the caldera, marking the start of the trail to Skaros Rock. Gorgeous, panoramic views from here.
- Imerovigli Basketball Court: Not an attraction, but good to know. This is the main parking area in Imerovigli.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Jimmy’s Market Cava: Market and deli with a great selection (especially the wines) plus great coffee and breakfast sandwiches (more consistent and better quality breakfasts than Hlios, but they don’t deliver).
- Supermarket Nissi: The friendliest market in the area, and usually the best prices in Imerovigli.
Iconic Santorini – The Hotel