Santorini Wines, Wineries, and Wine Tours
- Wine tours are incredibly popular on Santorini and they fill up quickly – book early.
- Best Santorini Winery Tours: Santorini Small Group Wine Tour • Santorini Private Wine Tour
- Many wineries offer tours and wine tasting but if you want to visit multiple wineries, book a wine tour (most wineries are small and hard to find if you don’t know the island well). Most tours include hotel pickup and drop off.
- It’s possible to visit wineries on your own but a tour makes getting from one to the next much quicker and easier. Plus, drinking and driving is very uncool.
- Santorini wine is wonderful and unique owing to the dry and unusual climate. Be sure to try some even if you don’t go on a tour.
- The Santorini wineries with the best caldera views are Santo and Venetsanos. Most wine tours will visit one or both of them.
- Santorini boat tours don’t sell out as early, so book your wine tour first.
The Best Wine Tours in Santorini
A great small-group tour that visits three traditional wineries and vineyards scattered around Santorini. Hotel pickup and drop off makes it all super easy. Will usually visit Santo Winery or Venetsanos (both with great caldera views) or Gavalas (my favorite) and 2 others. Starts at 3:30pm and lasts a little over four hours.
This is a private wine tour for serious wine lovers. Definitely worth it for the intimacy and attention to detail, but maybe not for everyone. Most people do it as a couple but the tour allows for a group of 6. Starts at 10am or 4pm with the evening tour having a sunset vies from either Santo or Venetsanos Wineries.
Wonderful small group tour in the early evening. Visit 3 wineries and have 12 tastings. Starts at 4:00pm and usually finishes at Venetsanos Winery (pictured above) for fantastic caldera views of the sunset.
Fully Booked Wine Tours
It’s common for the above tours to sell out in June, July, August, and September. If so, these tours are also excellent:
• Santorini Wine Roads Tour
• Half-Day Wine Adventure Tour
• Santorini Sunset Wine Tour
The Best Santorini Wineries
- Santo Wines (Pyrgos) – The most comprehensive tours of any one winery. It has a large shop filled with wines and local food specialties. Fantastic views of the cliffs and caldera. (Most wine tours visit Santo or Venetsanos.)
- Venetsanos Winery (Megalochori) – Similar views as Santo but a little smaller, with a little more charm.
- Gavalas Winery (Megalochori) – My favorite winery on Santorini. Small, friendly, intimate (but hard to find if you’re driving on your own).
- Art Space Winery (Exo Gonia) – A spellbinding mix of wine, caves, and art. The owner guides you around the property and explains its history with a thick Greek accent. Very cool.
- Domaine Sigalas (Oia) – A small winery a 10-minute walk from a bus stop on the Fira-Oia bus route. It has wine tastings with appetizers from March to November.
- Koutsoyannopoulos Wine Museum (Vothonas) – A 300 meter long cellar (8 meters underground) that hosts a wine museum. The museum presents the history of Greek wine and the life of vine-growers in Santorini since the 1600s.
Map of Santorini Wineries
Getting To Santorini Wineries:
• Santorini buses from Fira to Akrotiri or Perissa will stop a short walk from Santo Winery, Venetsanos, Gavalas, and Boutari. (If coming from Oia, Imerovigli, or another village you’ll need to bus to Fira and then switch buses.)
• Buses from Fira to Kamari will stop a short walk from the Koutsoyannopoulos Wine Museum, Artemis Karamolegos Winery, Canava Roussos, Argyros Winery, and Art Space Winery. (If coming from Oia, Imerovigli, or another village you’ll need to bus to Fira and then switch buses.)
• Buses from Fira to Oia will stop a moderate walk from Vassaltis Vineyards and Domaine Sigalas Winery.
• Getting a Santorini taxi to and from wineries is possible, but in practice, a pretty big hassle.
- Art Space Winery – Exo Gonia
- Artemis Karamolegos Winery – Exo Gonia
- Boutari Winery Santorini – Megalochori
- Canava Antonis Arvanitis – Megalochori
- Canava Roussos – Episkopi Gonia
- Domaine Sigalas – Oia
- Estate Argyros – Episkopi Gonia
- Gaia Wines – Perivolia
- Gavalas Winery – Megalochori
- Hatzidakis Winery – Pyrgos
- Koutsoyannopoulos Wine Museum – Vothonas
- Santo Wines – Pyrgos
- Vassaltis Vineyards – Vourvoulos
- Venetsanos Winery – Megalochori
Books on Santorini Wine & Wineries
The Wines of Santorini by Yiannis Karakasis is a joy to read and wonderfully informative about every last detail regarding Santorini wines. It’s a little tricky to find but if you get the chance do grab a copy.