Santorini Food & Wine – Tips and Recommendations
- Santorini Sunset Wine Tour – Highly recommended! Santorini wines are wonderful and this gives a good overview of 3 of the best wineries on the island. Hotel pickup and drop off makes it easy. (The tour ends at the Venetsanos Winery which has incredible caldera and sunset views.)
- Santorini Cooking Course – A super fun introduction to Greek food. Lots of hands-on cooking. Great for groups, couples, or singles.
- Reservations are required at most of the restaurants listed before. Reserving 3 to 5 days in advance will be fine most of the time – but if it’s a really special occasion then book a table weeks (maybe even months) in advance just to be sure.
- My very favorite restaurants on Santorini: Metaxy Mas, The Good Heart, Cava Alta, Argo, Ouzeri, Mezzo, Avocado, and Roka.
- Best Oia Restaurants: Roka • Karma • Candouni • Elinikon • Ammoudi Fish Tavern
- Best Fira Restaurants: Argo • Ouzeri • Naoussa • Cacio E Pepe
- Best Imerovigli Restaurants: Mezzo • Avocado • Athenian House • Anogi
- Best Restaurants with Caldera View: Mezzo, Athenian House, Argo, Naoussa, La Maison, and Ambrosia. (In general the best restaurants don’t have caldera views but there are exceptions.)
- Best Restaurants with Sunset View: Mezzo, Athenian House, Naoussa, and Elinikon.
- The best coffee in Santorini is at Passaggio (Oia) and Pure (Fira).
- If you visit any of these restaurants please mention that you heard about them from Santorini Dave. Thanks!
The 27 Best Restaurants in Santorini
Metaxy Mas – Exo Gonia
This is the best restaurant on Santorini. If you ask at your hotel, “where is the best place to eat in Santorini?”, they’ll probably send you here. Reservations recommended. The views are of Kamari beach and the airport. A perfect evening (away from the caldera) would include a meal at Metaxy Mas and then a late-night movie at the outdoor cinema in Kamari (about a 5 minute drive away).
The Good Heart – near Akrotiri
Oh my God! This place is so good. Local food and traditional dishes – much of it from their nearby farm. Relaxed and family-friendly but so enchanting it could double as a romantic rustic outing. Super friendly owners. Reservations usually not required. It’s a 15 minute drive from Fira but worth the effort.
Yalos – Exo Gialos Beach
Fresh seafood and Santorini flavors at an idyllic beach location about a 10 minute drive directly east of Fira. Trendy but friendly.
Cava Alta – Pygros
Wow, this place is great. Hidden in the lanes below the castle in Pyrgos this super-friendly restaurant has some of my favorite dishes in Santorini. Reservations usually not required for lunch but best to reserve for dinner.
Lucky’s Souvlaki – Fira
One of my favorite things to eat on Santorini is a gyro from Lucky’s. Cheap and delicious. No reservations. You order at the cash register then place your receipt on the bar near the cook. Don’t miss this! (Perfect for lunch.) Pito Gyros is the also good and the best gyro place in Oia.
Argo – Fira
The best restaurant in Fira. There are 2 restaurants directly across the path that have better caldera views but Argo has better food – modern greek with a trendy vibe. Reservations recommended.
Cacio e Pepe
The best Italian restaurant in Santorini. Good Italian wines. Fun and friendly.
Ouzeri – Fira
Good food in a relaxed setting. The big bright sign makes it look very touristy (almost questionable) but the food is fucking awesome. Reservations recommended for dinner but not usually necessary for lunch.
Naoussa – Fira
Wonderful traditional food and great views. Reservations recommended.
Nikolas Taverna – Fira
Hidden in plain sight on one of the busiest lanes in Fira, Nikolas serves inexpensive traditional food. Reservations usually not required.
Aktaion – Firostefani
The best restaurant in Firostefani. Charming atmosphere with tables spilling out onto the sidewalk when it gets busy. Reservations recommended.
Remvi – Firostefani
There are several restaurants with great views in Firostefani. Remvi has the tastiest food. Reservations recommended if you want a table along the edge.
Da Vinci – Firostefani
Very good Italian food. Views look east, not into the caldera. Reservations usually not required.
La Maison – Imerovigli
The best restaurant in this area of southern Imerovigli (not that central Imerovigli is very far away). Modern greek with a french flare. Desserts are amazing too.
Mezzo – Imerovigli
If you’re looking for great food and a great view then this is the best restaurant in Imerovigli. Reservations recommended.
Avocado – Imerovigli
Along with Mezzo, this is my favorite restaurant in Imerovigli, but no view. Reservations usually not required for lunch but a good idea for dinner.
Anogi – Imerovigli
Wonderful modern greek food with a trendy vibe. If you can’t get a table, Posidonia Taverna is steps away – not as fancy but almost as good.
Athenian House – Imerovigli
The best caldera and sunset view of any restaurant in Santorini. Amazing food too.
Roka – Oia
My favorite restaurant in Oia. As the owner said to me, “Lousy view, lousy service, incredible food.” Reservations recommended.
Candouni – Oia
Warm and friendly vibe with traditional greek food. Reservations recommended.
Elinikon – Oia
The best restaurant in Oia that has sunset views. Delicious food. Mostly small dishes ideal for sharing. Reservations recommended.
Karma – Oia
Charming, friendly restaurant with some of the best dishes in Oia. Reservations recommended.
Ambrosia – Oia
The most romantic restaurant in Oia, and maybe all of Santorini. Make reservations far in advance.
Panorama Balcony – Oia
OK, maybe this place is more romantic, but there’s only one table and one seating per night (8 to 11pm). Reserve at least 27 years in advance at [email protected].
Lotza – Oia
A small cafe with good food (the Oia Spaghetti is delicious) and a patio with great views. The baklava and ice cream is the best on Santorini. Most of the Oia restaurants I mention here are only open for dinner making Lotza a good option for lunch. But don’t order the souvlaki (always get souvlaki or gyro from a small gyro/souvlaki shop, never at a sit down restaurant). Reservations usually not required.
Ammoudi Fish Taverna – Ammoudi Bay
Ammoudi is the port below Oia and there are 4 restaurants here all with great fresh seafood. The Ammoudi Fish Tavern is the best of them but they’re all good choices with wonderful sunset views. Reservations aren’t needed for lunch but a good idea for dinner.
Taverna Geromanolis – Megalochori
Wonderful traditional food in the charming village of Megalochori. Popular with locals. Open lunch and dinner. Reservations usually not required.