Santorini Luxury Villas – How To Rent
Renting a Santorini villa or house is a great choice if you’re staying for a week or longer – any shorter than that and I don’t think it’s worth the effort (and many villas have a minimum one-week stay).
Here are some tips for choosing and booking a holiday villa in Santorini.
- The Villa with Private Pool at Grace Santorini is the best luxury villa on Santorini.
- In general, stay in a villa if you’re in Santorini for longer than a week – or are traveling with a large group. The best hotels on Santorini are stunning and not many villas match them for luxury, convenience, views or private pools.
- It takes more effort to rent a villa than to book a hotel. That’s not to say it takes hours and hours of research but be prepared for a little more time to plan your stay.
- Reconfirm your reservation (at least once). If you book a villa 6 months in advance double check the dates with the owner 3 months later and then again a week before your arrival.
- Booking.com is the best site to use for renting villas. Like with booking hotels, the site has verified guest reviews so you’re not reading fake reviews written by the owners.
- Most private villas are located in Oia. Villas in Fira and Imerovigli tend to be part of a hotel.
- Check and double check the location of any villa. Many look like they’re close to the main towns (or close to the beach) but are located in the middle of nowhere. Which can be fine, but obviously good to know what you’re getting. If you can’t get a good feel on where it’s located ask me and I’ll take a look.
- Book early. People plan trips to Santorini months (sometimes years) in advance. Hotels fill early in the year, and villas get booked even earlier.
- If you’re paying the owner upon arrival you’ll sometimes need to pay cash, even if you booked online and used a credit card to reserve the villa.
- Weddings and wedding receptions are common at villas and rental homes. If you need more info ask the owner.
- Is AirBnb good for Santorini? Yes and no. It is getting more rentals but few of them are right on the caldera with good views. Airbnb (and VRBO) are good if you’re looking for inexpensive places to stay without a caldera view. If you do see a good place with a caldera view it’s often a hotel listing some of their rooms on Airbnb (and usually charging more).
The 23 Best Villas in Santorini, Greece
Most of these rentals have full kitchens. Some have internet (free wifi), washer/dryer, and either a pool or jacuzzi. Book very early in the year as the best places fill up more than 6 months in advance.
Aria Villas – Fira
Sleeps 4 to 6 – There are four brand new villas here. Each has a private outdoor plunge pool, some have an indoor pool as well. Views are amazing. The hotel (and suites) are a one minute walk away and there’s a large pool that villa guests are welcome to use.
Grace Santorini Villa with Private Pool – Imerovigli
Sleeps 4 – Part of the Grace hotel but with its own private pool and huge living area and deck. It’s the best of both worlds: the convenience and service of a hotel with the privacy of a private villa. Guests have easy access to the hotel’s infinity pool with caldera views. This is the best villa on Santorini.
Oia Mansion – Oia
Sleeps 8 – This is a marvelous Santorini villa for families or larger groups. Great location in central Oia. Good restaurants within steps. Incredible views (one of the few villas in Oia with both caldera and sunset views). Huge kitchen and rooftop hot tub. Sonos speakers throughout house.
Sleeps 7 – Huge private villa with pool and awesome caldera views (but no sunset view).
Windmill Villas – Imerovigli
Sleeps 6 – Authentic Santorinian windmill two-bedroom villas have full kitchens and private jetted pools. Located on the eastern slope of the island, near Imerovigli.
White Pearl Villas – Oia
Sleep 2-5 – Nine separate and centrally-located located Oia villas, each with a private pool or hot tub.
Sleep 2-5 – Attached villas in a great Oia location, tucked in a quiet corner but close to the sunset viewpont; most with private hot tubs.
Pegasus Villas – Imerovigli
Sleep up to 7 – Villa privacy with hotel convenience; private pools, breakfast delivered daily, on-site restaurant and wine bar.
Onar Villas – Oia
Sleep 2 or 4 – One- or two-bedroom villas with hot tubs, caldera views, and breakfast served daily on your terrace.
Kastro Oia Houses – Oia
Sleep 2 or 4 – Traditional cave villas near Oia Castle; hot tubs, daily breakfast, and on-site restaurant.
Fira White Residences – Fira
Sleeps 6 – Two bedroom villa with jacuzzi terrace, centrally-located in Fira with excellent caldera views.
Villa Estelle – Imerovigli
Sleeps 6 – Three bedrooms, each with a private bathroom; pool, full kitchen, great caldera views from the rooftop terrace.
Celestia Grand – Fira
Sleeps 2 – Quiet and private cliff villas, each with its own pool. Located 1.5 miles south of central Fira, with complimentary shuttle service into town.
Sleeps 2 – Quiet Oia location, just down from shops and restaurants; daily breakfast, indoor hot tub, and view terrace.
Blue Angel Villa – Fira
Sleeps 9 – Spacious three-bedroom cave villa tucked away in central Fira; indoor hot tub, kitchen, rooftop jacuzzi.
Villa Ariadni – Oia
Sleeps 4 – Charming Oia sunset view villas with one or two bedrooms, kitchenettes, and furnished balconies.
Anemi House & Villas – Oia
Sleep 2-8 – Oia cave villas with private hot tub, plunge pool, or sunset view from your balcony.
Anema Residences – Imerovigli
Sleeps 4 – One- and two-bedroom self-catering villas with sea and countrtyside views, many with private pools. Quiet location on the east slope of the island near Vourvoulos beach.