Updated: August 17, 2017
- I don’t recommend using Airbnb for Santorini as there are few good rentals and their location is often not ideal.
- Scams, where hosts take pictures from hotel websites and post them as Airbnb rentals, seem common.
Using Airbnb in Santorini
- Be very careful. I have seen many Airbnb Santorini rentals that aren’t really rentals – just photos that have been taken from a website and re-posted as an Airbnb accommodation.
- Very few Airbnb rentals have a caldera view as this land is almost exclusively owned by hotels. If a Santorini Airbnb has the description “great views” it’s probably talking about the eastern views, not caldera/volcano views.
- Most Santorini Airbnb’s are located near Kamari Beach or Perissa Beach – which is fine but there are not many rentals near the picturesque towns of Fira, Oia, Imerovigli, or Firostefani (which is where I recommend most people should stay).
- The biggest complaint I have about Airbnb (and a I hear this from friends and readers too) is that meeting with the owner to gain access to the rental is often difficult and time consuming. With a hotel, it’s always easy. Get off your flight, get a taxi, go to the hotel, check in. With Airbnb, expect a slow, time consuming, hassle. In fairness, it’s rarely more than a half-hour but it’s a lousy way to start your holiday.
- Fira has the most nightlife and shopping. Imerovigli has the best views and best restaurants. Oia is a bit of both – quieter than Fira but more activity than Imerovigli.
- If you need help with figuring out the location of a Santorini Airbnb (or any Santorini vacation rental) then post the link below and I’ll take a look. Though I don’t know many of the Santorini Airbnbs, by studying the pictures and the map I can usually make a good guess on its true location.