The 9 Best Shops in Athens for Greek Souvenirs
There is no shortage of good shopping in Athens. From the high-end fashion boutiques of posh Kolonaki to the cheap souvenir stalls that line the alleys near Monastiraki Square, travelers are well-covered for pretty much every consumer need under the sun. Amid all of these options, it can be hard to spot the best shops for one-of-a-kind, “only in Athens” souvenirs, made by locals and infused with Greek flavor. Here are some of our favorites.
Handmade Greek Sandals
In the 1950’s, Stavros Melissinos took the fashion world by storm from his small Athens shop that sold ancient Greek-style sandals to celebrities such as The Beatles, Sophia Loren, Jackie O, and Maria Callas. Stavros closed his shop in 2004, having passed on his name and his craft to his children, two of whom own and operate shops selling custom and handmade leather sandals. At both shops, in-stock sandals can be adjusted to fit, and custom sandals can be made to order.
- Melissinos Art – The Poet Sandalmaker is owned and operated by son Pantelis Melissinos, and is located near the Acropolis Museum. Pantelis continues his father’s tradition of not only classic Greek-style sandal-making, but artistic expression as well.
• Full Review of Melissinos Art
- Olgianna Melissinos Sandals near Monastiraki Square is run by daughter Olgianna Melissinos and her husband, Hristos. Their Cretan leather sandals and accessories have more of a contemporary flair and are also offered for sale through their website.
• Full Review of Olgianna Melissinos
Abstract impressionist artist Yanni Souvatzoglou creates and sells art pieces inspired by traditional Cycladic sculpture and Greek mythology. His works are primarily crafted from metal, and incorporate elongated human figures to create modern-day anthropocentric designs. Located on the border of Syntagma and Plaka neighborhoods, closed Sundays.
• Full Review of Yanni Gallery
Accomplished musician and instrument maker Giannis Samouelian represents the 3rd generation at the helm of this family-owned instrument shop, still in its original Plaka location since 1928. All of the shop’s Greek instruments (bouzouki, baglamas, tzouras, and laouto) are handmade by Giannis and his sons; a variety of guitars, violins, woodwind instruments, amps, and accessories are also available.
• Full Review of Samouelian Musical Instruments
A beautiful modern fine art gallery on the border of Monastiraki and Plaka, representing local contemporary artists since 1975. All artwork here is original; mediums represented include ceramics, macrame, acrylic and oil paintings, and unique ceramic and nail sculpture. Prices range from high end to surprisingly affordable. Open ten months of the year; closed January and February, and every Friday.
• Full Review of Pandora Art Gallery
Third-generation milliners Giorgios (George) and Vasiliki (Vicky) Polychronopoulos carry on their family’s business of hat-making at this gem of a shop in Athens’ City Center. Original straw Panama hats, fedoras, wide brim sun hats, newsboy caps, and fabric caps are all on offer, and children’s hats can be custom-ordered. Open year-round, closed Sundays.
• Full Review of Giorgio Hatter
Xanthi Ioannidou has been creating and selling paintings at this vibrant Plaka studio gallery for over 20 years. Her work is inspired inspired by her childhood in the Peloponnese and by Bronze Age Cycladic civilization and imagery. Requests for commissioned artwork are also accepted. Open daily year-round.
• Full Review of Ioannidou Art Gallery
Cult favorite counter-culture fashion boutique in Psirri, run by the son of the shop’s original owner and still going strong since the 1970s. Among the iconic bands, singers, and celebrities that have sourced their clothing here are The Clash, Ramones, Debbie Harry, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, Lana del Ray, and Chloë Sevigny – take time to page through the photo albums on display of their visits.
• Full Review of Remember Fashion
Beautiful shop near Syntagma Square selling a wide variety of local, organic, and homeopathic skin care and wellness products, owned by the founder of Korres cosmetics. Buy off the shelf or have bespoke lotions and potions created in-house for you in their open lab. Then take a break from shopping at their chic café/bar/restaurant selling delicious herbal teas, smoothies, cocktails, mocktails, light meals, and snacks. Closed Sundays.
• Full Review of The Naxos Apothecary
- Best Hotels in Athens
- Best Hotels on the Athens Riviera
- Best Hotels in Athens for Families
- Best Budget Hotels in Athens
- Athens Airport Hotels
- Best Tours & Things to Do in Athens
- Best Museums in Athens
- Best Archaeological Sites in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Bars and Clubs in Athens