Mykonos Car Rentals
- Renting a car is a great way to see the whole island as not everywhere is well served by bus and there are very few taxis in Mykonos. (But you do not need a car to get to most beaches or to do any of the best Mykonos tours.)
- Book rental cars in advance for visits from June to September.
- RentalCars.com is the best site for reserving cars in Mykonos.
- Most rental cars in Mykonos have a manual transmission. If you only drive automatic then definitely reserve in advance.
- If arriving by plane pick up rental cars at the Mykyonos Airport – it’s easier than town pick up and you avoid the long taxi lines at the airport.
- If arriving by ferry take a taxi or bus from the port into Mykonos Town and then pick up your rental car. Or take a taxi or bus to the airport and pick up there. It takes a little more effort to get to the airport but you’ll have more choice and an easier environment to get your car.
- Take pictures of the vehicle (inside and out) before driving away from the rental company.
Renting a Car in Mykonos
RentalCars.com searches all the big car companies and finds the best price. They have everything from cheap budget rentals to large mini-vans and SUVs to luxury rental cars. The most common pickup points are Mykonos Town and the Mykonos airport. Under Pickup Location select either Mykonos Airport or All Locations (which will usually be Mykonos Town).
I prefer renting from one of the international car companies that you find online but there are also local rental offices all over the island that will rent a car, scooter, or ATV to you. (The local companies are the only option for scooters and ATVs.)
Car Rental At The Mykonos Ferry Port
The ferry port in Mykonos is chaotic when a ferry arrives. I would not advise doing a rental car pickup at the port – it’s very busy and meeting your car company will not be straightforward. Take a bus or taxi into Mykonos Town or to the airport and pick up your rental car there. If picking up in Mykonos Town you’ll want to select the Mykonos Old Port (which is different than the New Port where most ferries arrive).
Car Rental At The Mykonos Airport
For airport car pick up you can reserve through Rentalcars.com and pick up from one of the kiosks at the airport. The airport is very small and it’s super easy to get your car. From the airport, it’s a short 10-minute drive to Mykonos Town. About 15 minutes to the beaches of Platys Gialos, Ornos, Psarou, Agios Ioannis, and Elia.
Rental car companies that rent cars at the Mykonos Airport
Should I Rent A Car In Mykonos?
Renting a car makes getting around Mykonos much easier and there are areas of the island you’ll explore in a car that you wouldn’t if you were solely reliant on the bus. Mykonos Town is the hub of the bus system on Mykonos and there are direct buses from there to pretty much every corner of the island. But if you’re staying at one of the beaches, then you need to take a bus to Mykonos Town and then another bus to Ano Mera or other spots around the island. Mykonos Town parking can be difficult but you’ll always be able to find something. Parking is often found up the hilly roads south of Mykonos Town and from there you’ll need to walk a few minutes back into town.