Mykonos – Rental Car Pick-up
Renting a Car in Mykonos
Renting a car is a great way to see the whole island as not everywhere is well-served by bus and there are very few taxis (only 30) on Mykonos. You do not need a car to get to the most popular Mykonos beaches and beach clubs or to do any of the best Mykonos tours. But there are definitely some remote beaches that are much easier to visit by rental car. And some of the best Mykonos hotels north of Mykonos town can feel isolated without a car.
RentalCars.com searches all the big car companies and finds the best price. They have everything from cheap budget rentals to large mini-vans and SUVs to luxury rental cars. The most common pick-up points are Mykonos Town (Mykonos Old Port) and the Mykonos airport. Under Pick-up Location, select either Mykonos Airport or All Locations (which will usually be Mykonos Town Old Port).
We recommend renting from one of the international car companies that you find online but there are also local rental offices all over the island that will rent a car, scooter, or ATV to you. (The local companies are the only option for scooters and ATVs.)
Mykonos Car Rentals: Tips & Advice
- Book rental cars in advance for visits from June to September.
- Drivers from the US and Canada are required to have an International Driver’s Permit, as well as a valid driver’s license to drive in Greece.
- RentalCars.com is the best site for reserving cars in Mykonos.
- Most rental cars in Mykonos have a manual transmission. If you only drive automatic then definitely reserve in advance.
- If arriving by plane, pick-up rental cars at the Mykyonos Airport – it’s much easier than town pick up and you avoid the long taxi lines at the airport.
- If arriving by ferry, take a bus, taxi, or Welcome Pickups car service from the port into Mykonos Town to pick up your rental car. Better yet: take a taxi, bus, or Welcome Pickups to the airport and pick up there. It takes a little more effort to get to the airport but you’ll have a wider choice and an easier environment in which to get your car.
- Take pictures of the rental vehicle (inside and out) before driving away from the rental company.
Car Rental at the Mykonos Ferry Port (New Port)
The ferry port in Mykonos is chaotic when a ferry arrives. We don’t advise doing a rental car pick-up at the port – it’s very busy and meeting your car company will not be straightforward. Take a bus, taxi, or Welcome Pickups into Mykonos Town or to the airport and pick up your rental car there. If picking up in Mykonos Town you’ll want to select the “Mykonos Old Port” on the Rentalcars.com website. (The Old Port is in Mykonos Town and is different than the New Port where most ferries arrive).
Car Rental at the Mykonos Airport
For airport car pick up you can reserve through Rentalcars.com and pick up from one of the kiosks at the airport. The airport is very small and it’s super easy to get your car. From the airport, it’s a short 10-minute drive to Mykonos Town. About 15 minutes to the beaches of Platys Gialos, Ornos, Psarou, Agios Ioannis, and Elia.
Should I Rent A Car In Mykonos?
Renting a car makes getting around Mykonos much easier and allows you to explore areas of the island that you couldn’t if you were solely reliant on the bus. Mykonos Town is the hub of the bus system on Mykonos and there are direct buses from there to most of the best Mykonos beach hotels. But if you’re staying at one of the beaches, then you’ll need to first take a bus to Mykonos Town and then another bus to Ano Mera or other spots around the island. Mykonos Town parking can be difficult, but you’ll always be able to find something. Parking is often found up the hilly roads south of Mykonos Town; from there you’ll need to walk a few minutes back into town.
- Where to Stay in Mykonos
- Best Hotels in Mykonos
- Best Hotels in Mykonos for Families
- Best Cheap Hotels in Mykonos
- Best Mykonos Beach Hotels
- Best Mykonos Honeymoon Hotels
- Mykonos Town Hotels
- Best Tours & Things to Do in Mykonos
- Best Restaurants in Mykonos
- Best Mykonos Bars & Clubs
- Best Mykonos Beaches
- Visiting Delos from Mykonos
- Mykonos Ferry Port Guide
- Mykonos Helicopter Tours and Transfers
- Athens to Mykonos
- Mykonos to Santorini
- Maps of Mykonos
- Videos of Mykonos
- Complete Mykonos Travel Guide