Mykonos Beaches: Tips & Advice
- Mykonos is loaded with great beaches. It’s a beach paradise whether you’re looking for swimming, sunbathing, beach resorts, beach parties, or water sports.
- Paradise, Super Paradise, and Paraga Beaches are the main party beaches. Ornos and Platis Gialos are great for families and couples.
- Staying in Mykonos Town (for the restaurants, shopping, and nightlife) and visiting the nearby beaches through the day is easy to do. Buses run often until late evening in summer.
- Walking along the coast between Psarou Beach and Paradise Beach is a highlight of a visit to Mykonos.
- Best off-the-beaten-path beaches in Mykonos: Lia and Fokos.
- The best luxury hotels in Mykonos should be booked 4 to 6 months in advance. The best cheap hotels in Mykonos should be booked 3 to 5 months in advance.
Where are the best beaches on Mykonos?
The best beaches on Mykonos are along the south coast of the island where they are protected from the sometimes brisk winds that blow from the north. The beaches along the north can look great in pictures but will often be quite windy – especially in July and August. That said, they are much quieter and if you catch them on a peaceful day you’ll have a beautiful beach nearly all to yourself.
Map of Mykonos Beaches
Hotels on Map: Mykonos Grand • Saint John Hotel & Spa • Mykonos Ammos • Mykonos Blanc • Mykonos Blu • Nissaki Boutique • Acrogiali • Mykonos Kosmoplaz Beach Resort • Mykonos Palace • Branco Mykonos • Sunrise Hotel and Suites • Myconian Imperial Resort & Villas
The 12 Best Beaches on Mykonos
The best beach on Mykonos. Lively, wide, and beautiful with many restaurants, several hotels, a mini-market, and direct buses to Mykonos Town. Located about 5 km southeast of Mykonos Town and on the water taxi route that goes to Super Paradise and other beaches.
Recommended Platis Gialos Beach Hotels:
- Branco Mykonos (luxury)
- Myconian Ambassador Hotel & Spa (luxury)
- Petasos Beach Resort & Spa (luxury)
- Nissaki Boutique Hotel (luxury)
- Palladium Hotel (luxury)
- Petinos Beach Hotel (moderate)
- Bay Bees Seaview Suites and Homes (moderate)
2. Ornos Beach
A beautiful beach with lovely surroundings and many tavernas. The most family-friendly beach on Mykonos. The westernmost beach along the water-taxi route. Located 3 km south of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Ornos Beach Hotels:
- Santa Marina Resort & Villas (luxury)
- Kivotos Luxury Boutique Hotel (luxury)
- Kensho Ornos Boutique Hotel (luxury)
- Mykonos Blanc (luxury)
- Mykonos Cactus (moderate)
3. Psarou Beach
Many restaurants, beautiful sand, some watersports, and a little shopping. The most exclusive beach on Mykonos. Located 5 km southeast of Mykonos Town. The closest bus and water taxi stops are a short walk away at Platis Gialos Beach.
Recommended Psarou Beach Hotels:
4. Paraga Beach
Paraga is very busy but beautiful. Several places to eat and drink. Direct bus from Mykonos Town to Paraga. Located along the water-taxi route. Located 6 km southeast of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Paraga Beach Hotels:
- Soho Roc House (luxury – half way between Paraga and Paradise Beach)
- Zephyros (budget – the only hotel right at Paraga)
5. Elia Beach
The longest beach on Mykonos. In high season there are 5 or 6 buses a day from Mykonos Town to Elia. Elia is the easternmost stop along the water taxi route that connects to many southern beaches. Lots of parking here if you have a rental car. Located 11 km southeast of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Elia Beach Hotels:
- Myconian Villa Collection (luxury)
- Katikies Villas (luxury)
- Myconian Imperial Resort & Villas (luxury)
- Greco Philia Luxury Suites & Villas (luxury)
A young lively party-beach with many bars spilling out onto the sand. After the sun goes down the party gets wilder. Buses go directly from Mykonos Town to Paradise Beach, and the beach is located along the water-taxi route. Paradise Beach was once the most popular gay beach but is now largely straight. Located 6 km south of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Paradise Beach Hotels:
A small beach with plenty of activity and 2 or 3 beach bars. Probably the most gay-friendly beach on Mykonos. A local bus runs between the Mykonos Town Fabrika terminal and Super Paradise every couple of hours. There are small boats from Platis Gialos and Paradise Beach to Super Paradise Beach, and Super Paradise is located along the water-taxi route. Located 7 km southeast of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Super Paradise Beach Hotels:
- Lyo Boutique Hotel (luxury)
A beautiful quiet (but narrow) beach. Two tavernas/beach clubs and direct buses in high season to Mykonos Town. Located 5 km south of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Agios Ioannis Beach Hotels:
- Katikies Mykonos (luxury)
- Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resort (luxury)
- Anax Resort & Spa (luxury)
- Bill & Coo Coast Suites (luxury, adults-only)
- Hippie Chic Hotel (moderate)
9. Agrari Beach
Very quiet and secluded with good sand. There is no bus from Mykonos Town to Agrari. Instead, bus to Elia and then walk 15 minutes, or take the water taxi to Agrari from one of the other beaches along the route. There’s 1 restaurant at Agrari. You’ll want a rental car if you stay here. Located 10 km southeast of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Agrari Beach Hotels:
- Sunrise Hotel & Suites (moderate)
Nice sand and swimming but can be windy. It’s an easy walk from the Chora. Located 500m south of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Megali Ammos Beach Hotels:
- Bill & Coo Suites and Lounge (luxury)
- Myconian Korali (luxury)
- Tharroe of Mykonos (luxury)
- Boheme Mykonos (luxury)
11. Lia Beach
Beautiful beach that’s quiet and has great swimming. Also a good snorkeling beach. No public transit. Located 14 km east of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Lia Beach Hotels:
- Vlia Mar Myconian Residences (luxury)
- Villa Nautilia (luxury)
- Tha-Lia Myconian Suites & Studios (moderate)
12. Fokos Beach
A quiet and secluded beach. There are no tourist facilities here but there is an amazing taverna just off the beach. The taverna is worth a trip in itself. No public buses come to Fokos – you’ll need to get here by private transportation. Located 13 km northeast of Mykonos Town.
Recommended Fokos Beach Hotels:
Mykonos Water Taxi
The Mykonos Water Taxi runs along the island’s south coast, stopping to pick up and drop off passengers at 7 different beaches along the way from late morning to early evening. The main departure beach for the water taxi is Platis Gialos, easily accessible by bus or taxi. Mykonos Water Taxi fare is 20€ for an all-day, all-beach pass.
Beaches on the Mykonos Water Taxi Route: