See Also: The Best Hotels in Santorini
San Antonio – Stunning luxury hotel with dramatic views over the caldera, romantic accommodation, an infinity pool, and a full-service spa.
San Antonio is an upscale boutique hotel catering toward couples. The hotel is located in a secluded area on the northern edge of the Imerovigli caldera, above a private bay with sweeping views and a Zen-like ambiance. All rooms and suites boast a private balcony, and most feature indoor or outdoor jacuzzis, while there is also a large infinity pool to share. Their restaurant, The Cliffside, highlights local Greek and Mediterranean specialties with impeccable flavors and exceptional views. Rounding out the experience, their private spa offers a full range of body and skin treatments for couples, plus a Vichy shower and a large jacuzzi.
San Antonio – Video
San Antonio – Location
- Area: Absolutely gorgeous location, among the very best views on the island, though it is fairly remote. The hotel is in a very quiet area, just north of Imerovigli village, a 7-minute drive to the beginning of the village and its restaurants and attractions, and about 17 minutes’ drive to Oia.
- How to Get There: The hotel sits on the side of the caldera just off the main road connecting Fira and Oia. It is best to get a taxi or drive to the hotel. There are always buses at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini airport (both buses will stop in Fira from where you’ll get a different bus to Imerovigli – the entire trip from port or airport to Imerovigli will take about an hour). There is an unofficial bus stop in front of the hotel; let the bus driver know ahead of time that you will be getting off there. Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis in total serving the whole island, so there is often a long wait; schedule ahead to avoid this – or rent a car. A taxi from the airport to San Antonio Hotel will cost roughly €25. A taxi from the ferry port to San Antonio Hotel will cost roughly €30. If renting a car, San Antonio offers free parking onsite (a major perk).
- Handy to: The Oia-Fira Hiking Trail (1-minute walk), bus stop to Oia, Fira, and the rest of the island (1-minute walk)
Map of San Antonio
San Antonio – The Basics
- Ages: An adults-only hotel, only guests 13 years and older are permitted. Guests tend to be couples celebrating an occasion, usually a honeymoon or anniversary, groups of friends, and a few families with older kids.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Koloumpos Beach, about 4.5 km northeast. But Exo Gialos is a better beach and not much farther, just 7 km to the north end or 9 km to the south end with its impressive wind-sculpted cliffs. The best beach bar and restaurant is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs (16-minute drive). The north end has a small harbor and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos (12-minute drive).
- View: Amazing caldera views from each room and throughout the hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: The Master Suites, Honeymoon Suites, and Superior Suites all feature private, outdoor jacuzzis and indoor jacuzzi baths. Senior Suites all have indoor jacuzzi tubs. Classic Double Rooms and Junior Suites mostly have jacuzzi baths, though a few have showers only. The only category with no option of a jacuzzi is the Suite.
- Parking: Free parking is available at their lot across the street; self-parking or valet.
- Extras: Private dining, wedding planning, yoga, twice daily maid service, valet service, butler service.
- When to Book: The hotel operates from April 1 to October 31. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for travel during the high season from June to September. Reserve at least 2 months in advance for travel during the low season.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 28860 24388
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: sanantonio-santorini.com
San Antonio – Amenities
- Pool: Gorgeous, cliffside infinity pool with panoramic views of the caldera.
- Spa: Full service spa in a romantic, volcanic cave with a large jacuzzi and a full-body jet shower. The spa offers private services only, so the whole area is reserved for each treatment. Massages can also be done overlooking the caldera. Couples’ treatments are their specialty.
- Fitness Center: No gym, but yoga classes are available on request.
- For Disabled Guests: The hotel is unsuitable for guests with mobility issues, as it is on the caldera and filled with stairs. There is no elevator, and no accessible room type.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, guests must be at least 13 years old to stay. There are no amenities or facilities for children. Maximum occupancy is 2 guests for most rooms and suites, though the senior and superior suites allow up to 3 guests.
- Other Facilities: Chapel, pharmacy, and convenience items onsite (newspapers, sunscreen, cigars, etc.).
San Antonio – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: The Cliffside Restaurant is open to guests only for dinner. The menu centers on Greek and Mediterranean fine dining with an outstanding wine selection, and a spotlight on fresh, local ingredients.
- Lounge/Bar: The Sun Lounge Bar offers Greek and Mediterranean light bites and refreshing cocktails and drinks all day long to the bar, poolside, or directly to the rooms.
- Breakfast: A complimentary breakfast buffet with an a la carte egg menu is served daily, offering a rich, expertly prepared selection of tasty Greek and Continental foods.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours from the Sun Lounge Bar menu.
San Antonio – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic Double Sea View Room • Junior Suite Sea View • Suite Sea View • Senior Suite Sea View • Superior Suite Sea View • Honeymoon Suite Sea View • Master Suite Sea View
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their rooms. Smoking is allowed on the private terraces and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: The Master Suite is the best room. At 30 sqm, this is the largest suite the hotel offers. This king-bedded room for 2 features an open plan with indoor and outdoor dining areas, indoor and outdoor jacuzzis, a private garden, and a sunbathing terrace.
- For Families: An adults-only hotel, guests must be at least 13 years old to stay. There are no amenities or facilities for children. Families of 3 can opt for the senior and superior suites, at 35 sqm and 40 sqm respectively. All suites are open-plan though, so there is not much privacy when adding a third guest. Larger families should plan on booking 2 rooms.
San Antonio – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located at the northern edge of Imerovigli, right on the Oia-Fira Trail, just south of the halfway point between Imerovigli and Oia. This is one of the more remote hotels, and there is not much within a short walk of the property. It’s a 50-minute walk south to reach Imerovigli village with all of its restaurants, attractions, and boutiques.
- Bus: The nearest bus is directly across from the hotel. This is an unofficial stop, but the bus is slow and easy to flag down to board. When heading back to the hotel, let the driver know your stop upon boarding, otherwise they’ll keep on driving. Buses here serve all of the major villages and beaches on the island, often with a change in Fira. Tickets are bought on board and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently, and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity, and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi, all the way down in Fira, so it’s not very practical to walk or bus to. Plus, there is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (with guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have them meet you directly at the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Imerovigli to Fira is roughly €10, and from Imerovigli to the airport or port is around €20.
- Scooters/motorcycles: Just don’t, unless you’re Evel Knievel! Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs: This is a super popular mode of transportation with tourists, but the locals absolutely hate them. They move too slowly, and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. ATVs with smaller motors have been banned from the roads, and a full ban is expected to pass soon.
San Antonio – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- OVAC: Mediterranean-Asian fusion with spectacular sunset views and a romantic ambiance. Stupidly expensive, but everything on the menu is absolute perfection. 6-minute drive.
- Anogi: Al fresco dining with local specialties and classic Greek dishes. Rich flavors and large portions, so come hungry. 7-minute drive.
- Le Moustache: Elevated Greek and Mediterranean dining and excellent cocktails with panoramic sunset views over the caldera. 8-minute drive.
- Avocado: Traditional Greek menu, charming space, super friendly staff. Cycladic recipes and a fantastic selection of Santorinian wines. 8-minute drive.
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious. 9-minute drive.
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal. 9-minute drive.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Buddha Bar Beach: Upscale cocktail bar, restaurant, and shisha lounge with views over Skaros Rock to the caldera. Pricey but on point. 7-minute drive.
- Domaine Sigalas: Santorini’s best vineyard, offering tastings, tapas, and full tours. 11-minute drive.
- Volkan on the Rocks: Great brewpub in Firostefani with amazing views and an outdoor cinema. 12-minute drive.
Best Nearby Cafes
- Hlios Bakery: Good coffee, basic pastries, and deli sandwiches. Not exceptional, but the bakery is cheap and delivers (cash only for deliveries). 7-minute drive.
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb, and the sunset views are gorgeous. 9-minute drive.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Pegasus Boutique: Next to the hotel of the same name, this little boutique offers clothing, shoes, swimwear, and accessories by Greek designers. 9-minute drive.
- Under a Fig Tree: Upscale boutique featuring Greek-designed fashion, accessories, and swimwear right on the Oia-Fira trail. 9-minute drive.
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: 1-minute walk. One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes about 1 hour 10 minutes, or about 1 hour 15 minutes to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel (add at least 15 minutes for a detour at Skaros Rock). 1-minute walk.
- Imerovigli Basketball Court: Not an attraction, but good to know. This is the main parking area in Imerovigli. 7-minute drive.
- Anastasi Church: The most picturesque, blue-domed church in Imerovigli offers gorgeous caldera views overlooking Skaros Rock. Popular for weddings and photo shoots. 8-minute drive.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active. 8-minute drive.
- Agios Georgios Church: Small white church on a platform over the caldera, marking the start of the trail to Skaros Rock. Gorgeous, panoramic views from here. 8-minute drive.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Jimmy’s Market Cava: Market and deli with a great selection (especially the wines), plus great coffee and breakfast sandwiches (more consistent and better quality breakfasts than Hlios, but Jimmy’s doesn’t deliver). 6-minute drive.
- Supermarket Nissi: The friendliest market in the area and usually the best prices in Imerovigli. 7-minute drive.
San Antonio – The Hotel
- Anteliz Suites – Review
- Aria Suites – Review
- Athina Luxury Suites – Review
- Celestia Grand – Review
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Review
- Above Blue Suites – Review
- Absolute Bliss – Review
- Aenaon Villas – Review
- Andronis Concept Wellness – Review
- Astra Suites – Review
- Cavo Tagoo – Review
- Chromata Santorini – Review
- Grace Santorini – Review
- Heliotopos Hotel – Review
- Honeymoon Petra Villas – Review
- Iconic Santorini – Review
- Remezzo Villas – Review
- Santorini Princess Spa Hotel – Review
- Sophia Luxury Suites – Review
- Tamarix Del Mar – Review
- Vedema Resort – Review
- 270 Oia’s View – Review
- Andronis Boutique Hotel – Review
- Andronis Luxury Suites – Review
- Anemomilos Hotel and Villas – Review
- Canaves Hotel – Review
- Canaves Suites – Review
- Elysian Suites – Review
- Esperas Santorini – Review
- Gabbiano Apartments – Review
- Ikies Traditional Houses – Review
- Katikies – Review
- Kirini Santorini – Review
- Maregio Suites – Review
- Myst Boutique Hotel – Review
- Mystique Hotel – Review
- Mythique Villas and Suites – Review
- Oia Castle Luxury Suites – Review
- Perivolas Hotel – Review
- Santo Maris Oia – Review
- White Pearl Villas – Review
- Zoe Aegeas Traditional Houses – Review
- Meltemi Village – Review
- Istoria Hotel – Review
- Carpe Diem Santorini – Review