Updated: October 21, 2016
Naxos Hotels – Tips and Recommendations
- Naxos is a wonderful island – one of my favorites – and has a bit of everything: Great beaches, lots of history, enchanting greek villages, wonderful hikes, and even a little nightlife (but nothing crazy).
- I recommend staying in Naxos Town. Explore the beaches and inland villages through the day and return to the “Hora” (the main town) at night for dinner and an evening stroll along the waterfront. Lots of great restaurants, cafes, and low-key bars in Naxos Town.
- The beach closest to Naxos Town is St Georgios which has nice sand and is very kid-friendly due to its gentle slope and calm waters. As you move south the beaches get quieter and even nicer. A few of the best beaches on Naxos are Agia Anna, Agios Prokopios, Plaka, and Mikri Vigla.
- The best hotel in Naxos Town is the Nissaki Beach Hotel located right on St Georgios beach and a short walk to the center of town.
- The best budget hotels in Naxos Town are Xenia Hotel Naxos and Pension Irene 2.
- The best restaurants in Naxos Town are Nostimon Hellas, To Elliniko, and Boulamatsis. Naxos does not have much nightlife but Naxos Town does have a few fun bars that stay open passed midnight.
The 15 Best Hotels on Naxos
- Nissaki Beach Hotel – Naxos Town
The most luxurious hotel on the island. Family rooms and 1-bedroom suites are huge. Nice pool, free wifi, great breakfasts (the best I had on Naxos). Steps from the beach (and several beach restaurants) and a 5 minute walk into town. Hotel phone: +30 22850 25710
- Naxos Resort Beach Hotel – Naxos Town
Wonderful pool and good-sized comfortable rooms. The hotel is a 2 minute walk to the beach and 8 minutes into town. Hotel phone: +30 2285 026650
- Hotel Glaros – Naxos Town
Charming hotel with a boutique feel. Steps from the beach but also an easy walk from Naxos Town. Friendly owners and lots of character.
- Grotta Hotel – Naxos Town
Great place with lots of character. An easy walk to the town (restaurants and shops), bus station, and ferry port but a good 15 minutes to the town beach. If you want friendly this is the place.
- Galaxy Hotel – Naxos Town
Just around the corner from the Naxos Resort Beach Hotel, the Galaxy is a little fancier and a little more expensive. Great pool and large triple and quadruple rooms. 1 minute to the beach. Hotel phone: +30 2285 022422
- Santa Katerina Apartments & Studios – Naxos Town
Wonderful recently refurbished units with kitchens, dining room, and living room. Not on the beach but a short walk gets you there or into Naxos Town. The Two-bedroom Grand Suite sleeps 5, most of the other units 4. The washing machine is handy.
- Xenia Hotel – Naxos Town
Modern and newly renovated hotel in the heart of the Chora and a short walk from the ferry port. The singles and double are great value while the large quadruples are good for families. Hotel phone: +30 22850 25068
- Naxian Collection Villas – St Prokopios
Very nice luxury villas great for honeymooners (who want a bit of solitude) or big groups (who want a large villa). The suites share a pool with their neighbors, the villas have a private pool. 2-bedroom villas sleep 4, 4-bedroom villas sleep 8. Only con is that it’s a 15 minute walk to the beach and beach restaurants, and a bus ride into Naxos Town. On the other hand, you’re closer to the wonderful quiet beaches along Naxos’s southwestern coast. Hotel phone: +30 22850 24300
- Lagos Mare – St Prokopios
Nicely furnished rooms 5 minutes from the beach. Family 2-bedrooms suites sleep 5. Good swimming pool and Spa.
Hotel phone: +30 2285 042844
- Belogna Ikons Villas – Vivlos
Wonderful villas and suites (some quite large) up in the Naxos hills. Full kitchens and a beautiful pool. Great for families or large groups but you will need a rental car. Hotel phone: +30 2285 042233
- Kalergis Studios – Naxos Town
Right on the beach with a small friendly beach bar on the sand. Nice triples and a large family suite on the 1st floor (with small kitchen). Hotel phone: +30 21 0682 5896
- Medusa Resort – Plaka Beach
Great little resort on one of Naxos’s best beaches. Nice pool. Hotel phone: +30 2285 075555
- Porto Naxos Hotel – Naxos Town
This would not be my first choice (it’s located on a busy road and is a bit of a walk to both the beach and town) but if you can’t find a hotel with space it’s a good compromise. Nice pool and some large rooms. A good choice if you have a rental car or plan to explore the beaches down the coast (the bus stops just outside the hotel and there’s plenty of parking). Hotel phone: +30 22850 23970
- Spiros Hotel – Naxos Town
A charming budget hotel halfway between the waterfront of Naxos Town and St Georgios Beach. Nice pool. Triples and quadruples available. Hotel phone: +30 2285 024854
- Villa Marandi – Stelida
Beautiful hotel on a nice (somewhat isolated) beach. Kitchenettes and small pool. (The hotel is often sold out.) Hotel phone: +30 2285 024784
Where should I stay on Naxos?
Naxos Town is one of the most charming towns on the Greek islands and makes an excellent base for exploring the island. The bus service on Naxos is excellent so you don’t need to rent a car if you don’t want to. Naxos Town is the hub of the island’s bus network so staying here allows you to get anywhere on the island without changing buses. Naxos Town is also where the ferries dock. Many hotels are walking distance from the port though taxis are available if you have a lot of luggage.
When is the best time to visit Naxos?
The weather on Naxos is perfect from late May until early October (the water is at its warmest in July, August, and early September). The busiest time on Naxos is from early July until late August but Naxos never feels overwhelmed by tourists like some other islands. It’s large enough to absorb the crowds without feeling crazy busy.
Should I book hotels in advance?
For July and August, yes. The best hotels are fully booked for the summer by early May. You should always be able to find a hotel but you might have to compromise on location and amenities. Outside of the peak season showing up without a reservation is not a problem – though you’ll still probably find better rates by booking online.
What are the best beaches on Naxos?
The 5 best beaches on Naxos are St Georgios Beach (#1 on the map), Agios Prokopios (#2), Agia Anna (#3), Plaka (#4), and Mikri Vigla (#5). All these beaches are easy to reach from Naxos Town. It’s a 5 minute walk from Naxos Town to St Georgios Beach and a 25 minute bus ride from Naxos Town to Mikri Vigla (the most distant beach). When it’s windy on Naxos the winds tend to come from the north making these beaches on the southwest side of the island protected from the worst of the wind.