Anteliz Suites – Romantic boutique hotel tucked away in a serene pocket of Firostefani village with expansive caldera views and a refreshing pool.
A family-owned property, elegant Anteliz Suites is made up of twelve rooms and suites, and one private villa. The property has been in the family for generations and was once caves where wine was made and stored by the owner’s great, great grandfather. Each white marble room is built in Cycladic style and boasts dreamy sunset views; many offer private, heated infinity pools or jacuzzis. The courtyard opens up to a swimming pool with an attached jacuzzi – both adjacent to a dining terrace that overlooks the volcano and Skaros Rock. Though the immediate neighborhood is quiet, the nightlife, dining, and attractions of Fira village are within ten minutes of walking. Service is highly personalized, the epitome of Greek hospitality.
Anteliz Suites – Location
Absolutely gorgeous location in Firostefani, with panoramic caldera views from Oia to Akrotiri – including the volcanoes, Thirassia Island, and Skaros Rock. The hotel sits in a quiet neighborhood on the unofficial border of Firostefani and Fira, and is just a short walk to the nightlife of Fira and the romantic vistas of Imerovigli.
• How to Get There: The hotel sits above the caldera in Firostefani on a walking path not far off the main road connecting Fira and Oia, making it easy to reach by bus, taxi, or driving yourself. It is approximately 8km from the Athinios ferry port and the Santorini Airport to the hotel, though they are in different directions.
There are always buses waiting at the ferry port for every ferry arrival, as well as buses departing hourly from Santorini Airport. Both buses will stop in Fira, where you must get off to either walk to the hotel or catch a second bus to Firostefani then walk to the hotel. The entire trip from port or airport to Firostefani could take around an hour cost about €5 in total if you take the 2-bus option. Tickets are purchased on the bus, in cash only. Of course, you could also bus to the Fira station, then taxi closer to the hotel.
Taxis are also available from the port or airport, though there are only about 25 taxis serving the whole island, so there is often a wait; schedule a ride through a private car service in advance to avoid this (I use and recommend Welcome Pickups). Taxis on Santorini are not metered, so be sure to agree on a price with the driver before setting out. A taxi from the airport or ferry port to Anteliz Suites will both cost roughly €25. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more – about $45 (or €37), but is worth it to avoid the wait and for the convenience of paying ahead.
For those who prefer to drive themselves, we recommend renting a car either at the airport on arrival, or in Fira. The road from the ferry port is steep and narrow, with many tricky switchbacks, large trucks, and buses. Leave that for the locals to navigate. We strongly recommend reserving a vehicle in advance, especially if you require automatic transmission. Upon arrival in Firostefani, there are several free parking lots within a 5 to 10-minute walk of the property.
• Handy to: The Oia-Fira Hiking Trail, Fira nightlife, Old Port of Fira.
Map of Anteliz Suites
Anteliz Suites – The Basics
- Ages: An adults-only hotel, children 14 years and older only are permitted in the Master Suite and the Anteliz Suites Private Villa. Guests tend to be couples on a romantic getaway, or celebrating a special occasion.
- Beach: The nearest beach is Exo Gialos, a quiet, black sand beach with intriguing wind-sculpted cliffs at its southern end. The best beach bar and restaurant there is East Breeze, just a few meters from the cliffs. The north end has a small harbor and another great beach bar and restaurant called Yalos. From the hotel, it’s a short 4 km drive to the north end or 5 km to the south end, where the cliffs are.
- View: Divine caldera views from all rooms, suites, and the villa. The best views in the main hotel are on the second floor.
- Kitchen: The Anteliz Suites Private Villa has a small kitchen.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Jacuzzi Suites include private, outdoor jacuzzis; Pool Suites and the Anteliz Suites Private Villa offer private, outdoor, heated infinity pools.
- Parking: There are several free parking lots within 5 to 10 minutes’ walk from the hotel.
- Extras: Twice daily maid service, 24-hour reception.
- When to Book: The hotel usually operates from the first of April until the end of October. Reserve at least 4 months in advance (6 months is better) for stays during high season from June through September, and about 2 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +30 22860 28842
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: anteliz.gr
Anteliz Suites – Amenities
- Pool: Unheated swimming pool with an attached 4-person jacuzzi. Open 8am to sunset.
- Spa: No spa, but in-room massage and beauty treatments are available on request.
- Fitness Center: No gym.
- For Disabled Guests: Anteliz Suites has fewer stairs than most hotels in the caldera nearby, though there is no elevator. Suitable for guests with mild mobility issues.
- For Families: An adults-only property, children 14 and older are permitted in the Master Suite or private villa only. There are no specific amenities for children or families.
- Activities: The concierge is happy to arrange a variety of activities for any type of traveler, including private caldera cruises, wine tastings, scuba diving, and more.
Anteliz Suites – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: There is no restaurant onsite, but there is a small kitchen serving Santorinian and international snacks and small plates made using organic ingredients. The quality of food is outstanding, and prices are surprisingly affordable. Food can be enjoyed on the view terrace near the pool, or in-room. The kitchen is open from 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Lounge/Bar: The outdoor courtyard bar is open from 2pm to 10pm and serves wine, beer, cocktails, an assortment of beverages, coffee and smoothies.
- Breakfast: A complementary, a la carte breakfast is included in the price and served on the dining terrace or in your room from at the time of youir choice from 7:45am to 10am. Preorder a day before.
- Room Service: Available all day from 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. for food, or 10:30 p.m. for drinks.
Anteliz Suites – Rooms
- Room Types: Double Room • Superior Double • Junior Suite • Senior Suite • Jacuzzi Suite • Pool Suite • Anteliz Master Suite • Anteliz Suites Private Villa
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel does not allow smoking in any of their room categories. It is allowed on the private outdoor terraces and in the outdoor common areas.
- Best Room: The best rooms for couples are the Jacuzzi Suites and the Pool Suites. Both suites are similar in size and feature open-plan design, king beds, and traditional, open showers made with pressed concrete and marble dust. Marble floors and details run throughout the suites, which also boast private balconies with outdoor, private, heated jacuzzis or infinity pools with exceptional views.
- For Families: An adults-only property, children 14 and older are permitted only in the Master Suite (up to 4 guests) or Private Villa (up to 6 guests). There are no specific amenities for children or families. The Private Villa is the best option for families. Located near the main hotel, it features 3 king-sized bedrooms, all with ensuite bathrooms, a kitchenette, separate living room, and a private terrace with a heated pool and al fresco dining area. The Master Suite features 1 bedroom with an oversized, ensuite bathroom with a 2-person shower and dual vanities. There are 2 single sofa beds in the living room, plus a dining area, second bathroom, and a private terrace with stellar views. At 110 sqm, there is plenty of room for 4 in the Master Suite, but not much privacy for guests using the sofa beds.
Anteliz Suites – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is located in Firostefani at the edge of Fira, above the caldera, and on the Oia-Fira hiking trail. The island’s best restaurants, bars, shops, and attractions are just a few meters away. Or take a leisurely stroll to romantic Imerovigli, the highest point in the caldera with the best views and access to Skaros Rock. Anteliz enjoys an excellent walkable location as nearly everything anyone could want can be found within 5 or 10 minutes in any direction.
- Bus: The Firostefani bus stop is an 8-minute walk from the hotel, near the parking lot at St. Gerasimos Church. If traveling north to Imerovigli or Oia, catch the bus here. If traveling anywhere else, go to the Central Bus Station in Fira, as all routes to the port, airport, beaches, or other villages require a change in Fira. The Fira bus station is about 14 minutes’ walk away. Tickets are bought on board and range from €1.80 to €2.50 per person in the daytime, depending on the route. Night buses (12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.) run less frequently and cost a little more, from €2.30 to €3.10. Buses can get very crowded, especially during the high season, so much so that they often fill to capacity and are unable to take on more passengers. There are only 23 public buses serving the island.
- Taxis: The nearest taxi stand is at Stathmos Taxi in Fira, about 13 minutes south. There is often a wait here as there are only 25 taxis serving the entire island (with guests from about 1,000 hotels, villas, and Airbnbs). Book ahead to avoid the wait, and have the driver meet you closer to the hotel. There will be a small surcharge for advanced reservations and for carrying luggage, usually just a couple of Euros. The average rate from Firostefani to the port or airport is around €25.
- Scooters/Motorcycles: Scooters are the main mode of transportation for the locals, but if you’re unfamiliar with the terrain, it can be very dangerous. The roads here are zigzagging, hilly, narrow, and have sheer drop-offs with no guardrails and no street lights in most areas. Lots of dirt roads and potholes.
- ATVs/Quads: ATVs are a fun and popular mode of transportation with tourists, but for the locals stuck driving behind them, they move too slowly and hold up traffic in an area where getting around is already a hassle. For those who don’t ride quads regularly (i.e. most people), they can be dangerous at high speeds and on turns. Crashing your ATV is a sure-fire way to ruin your vacation.
Anteliz Suites – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Aktaion: The oldest taverna on the island, Aktaion has been serving authentic Santorinian flavors since 1922.
- Da Vinci Restaurant: Fantastic Italian restaurant with spectacular caldera views.
- Argo Restaurant: Argo features a rich menu of Santorinian and Mediterranean flavors with modern, international influences. With amazing views over the caldera, this is a popular spot for sunset dining. Reserve in advance to ensure a view table.
- Idol Restaurant: All-day restaurant serving elevated versions of traditional Santorinian dishes with 3 dining terraces and panoramic views.
- Lucky’s Souvlakis: Hands-down the very best gyros in Santorini. Eating at Lucky’s is an absolute must when in Santorini. Authentic, filling, and affordable.
- Ouzeri: Exceptional spot for meze (Greek tapas), offering a modern take on traditional Santorinian flavors and Mediterranean favorites.
- Pelican Kipos: Stellar, wine-centric restaurant with over 600 varieties of local and international wines in a charming garden setting. Wine tastings and cellar tours available daily.
- Falafeland: Top-notch vegetarian and vegan street food spot with amazing falafel and veggie burgers, and cozy outdoor seating. There are a handful of meat dishes here too, which are prepared separately from the vegetarian/vegan items.
- La Maison: Contemporary, Greek fine dining with sweeping caldera views. Food, wine, and service are all phenomenal.
- The Athenian House: Elegant fine dining with spectacular sunset views. Contemporary and imaginative Greek dishes incorporate modern gastronomic techniques and locally-sourced ingredients. Most of all, they’re delicious.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Volkan on the Rocks: Great brewpub in Firostefani with amazing views and an outdoor cinema.
- Kira Thira Jazz Bar: A Santorinian standby since 1976, Kira Thira is a cozy, casual bar with fantastic sangria, strong drinks, and an eclectic selection of music.
- Enigma Club: The oldest dance club in Santorini (since 1979), Enigma opens late and keeps the party going until 7 the next morning. A hotspot for visiting celebrity DJs who spin the best dance music from Greek and international artists.
- Franco’s Bar: Well-known for gorgeous views and delicious drinks, Franco’s is one of the best spots to take in the Fira sunset.
- Tango Champagne and Cocktail Bar: Refined lounge with a romantic vibe and picture-perfect sunset views.
- Casablanca Soul Bar: With house and deep house DJs or a live band every night, tasty cocktails, and a truly friendly staff, Casablanca is always a favorite for locals and travelers alike.
- Two Brothers: Open almost all day, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. the next day, Two Brothers is almost 2 different bars in the daytime versus the night. During the day, the bar is quiet and chill, with basic drinks and a solid 2-for-1 happy hour. Late nights, it becomes the wildest bar in Santorini: crowded, crazy, loud, and fun.
- Tropical Bar: Great cocktails and a magnificent view make this a popular spot for catching the sunset. The drinks menu strips down to basic offerings after sundown, but at happy hours (9:00 to 11:00p.m.), all cocktails are half price. Aussies take note: they sell VB here.
- MoMix: Half bar, half mad science lab, MoMix (short for Molecular Mixology) creates wild cocktails served in test tubes, as edible bites, or in bubble form.
- PK Cocktail Bar: The best bar in Santorini, PK Cocktail Bar offers superb sunset views, creative cocktails, and 3 levels of seating in the caldera.
Best Nearby Cafes
- Galini Café: Super friendly, all-day café with superb coffee and amazing views. Best loved for their breakfasts and brunch, especially the crepes, bennies, and French toast.
- To Briki: Fantastic café, the best place to try traditional Greek coffee. Breakfasts are superb, and the sunset views are gorgeous.
- Coffee Island: Off the main tourist track, this little shop has fantastic coffee drinks (maybe the only spot you can get a flat white in Santorini), a great selection of coffee by the kilo, and absolutely the best prices.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Little Dot: Trendy boutique offering men’s and women’s street, surf, and swim wear.
- White House Santorini: Specialty shop for all-white summer garb for men, women, and children. Located across the walking path from Idol Restaurant in Fira.
- Ammos: This shop has 2 locations in Fira, 1 in Kamari, and 1 in Oia. All offer a wide selection of international and Greek brands.
- Noi: Upscale women’s boutique offering elegant summer clothing, shoes, and accessories on Santorini’s famous Gold Street.
- Caldera Jewelry/Golden Santorini: Right across from Noi, Golden Santorini/Caldera Jewelry has offered fine gold and precious stone jewelry since 1976.
- Spicy Boutique and The Lace: These sister boutiques are located right next door to each other in the heart of Fira. Both shops sell Greek-designed women’s clothing and accessories. Spicy offers edgier styles, while The Lace caters toward a femme crowd.
- The White: Across from Spicy, The White is a luxury boutique selling hand-crafted clothing and footwear by Santorinian designer Sophia H.
- Isia: High-end, women’s clothing and accessories with unique pieces inspired by traditional Greek designs. You can find it on the footpath between Diesel and Cava Mejjo.
- Drakkar Santorini: International and Greek designer-brand clothing for women.
- Nick the Greek: One of the oldest jewelry shops in Santorini, Nick the Greek sells fine gold jewelry and luxury watches from Greek and international brands.
- Koukla: Eclectic, artsy jewelry in a range of styles and prices.
- Oia-Fira Hiking Trail: One of the top attractions on the island is this scenic 10.5 km hiking trail connecting Oia and Fira. A mix of sidewalk, cobblestones, and dirt trail, this route boasts gorgeous vistas the entire way. Hiking northwest, the full length of the path from the hotel to Oia Castle takes from 2 to 5 hours (add about an hour for a detour at Skaros Rock when you head north); heading south to the trail’s end in Fira, near Keti Hotel, takes about 20 minutes. 1-minute walk from the hotel.
- Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist: Often referred to simply as the Catholic Church, St. John’s is recognizable by its brilliant yellow and blue exterior and clock tower.
- St. Gerasimos Church: This blue-domed church is the most recognizable landmark in Firostefani. Many tours meet here as their starting point, and the village’s main parking lot and bus stop are here.
- Old Port of Fira: A.K.A. Fira Skala, the Old Port has a few tavernas, shops, and pretty sea views. The only connections from the port to the village are the cable cars, donkeys, or walking up the 587 steps. Nowadays, the Old Port is mostly used by cruise ship passengers, arriving daily by the thousands in the high season. To avoid the largest crowds, plan excursions around the cruise ship calendar. The beginning of the stairway down is a 10-minute walk away.
- Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral: This imposing cathedral dominates the main square in Fira. Fully renovated after the ’56 earthquake, this landmark church is surrounded by a series of grand archways, and is adorned with frescoed walls and ceilings inside in gold and vivid colors.
- Skaros Rock: Impressive volcanic rock formation housing the ruins of a medieval castle and town, dating to 1207. The monastery at its base, Panagia Theoskepasti, is the only part of Skaros that is still active. The trailhead leading to Skaros begins at Agios Georgios Church in Imerovigli.
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Mini Market Sigalas: Small market with a good selection of staples, snacks, and wine near St. Gerasimos Church in Firostefani.
- Green Market Organics: Small but well-stocked grocery store in Fira with specialty items (gluten-free, lactose-free, vegan, etc.), organic, and local products.
Anteliz Suites – The Hotel