Updated: August 4, 2017
When is the best time to visit Mykonos?
- Best Time for Good Weather and Swimming: The warmest weather in Mykonos (and all the Greek islands) is between June and September when it’s sunny, hot, and the water is perfect for swimming. Water temperature heats throughout the summer months and is warmest in August and early September. Since most people go to Mykonos for the beaches (and related nightlife) it’s pretty quiet here in May and October though the weather is still quite nice.
- Best Time for Nightlife: The clubs and parties on Mykonos run from late June until mid-September with the high point being late July and August. There’s good nightlife in Mykonos Town from May to early October.
- Best Time for Island Hopping: There are some incredible islands (Santorini, Naxos, Paros, Ios) just a short ferry ride from Mykonos. Hopping on a ferry and exploring these nearby islands is a highlight of traveling to Greece. Santorini has a longer tourist season than the other greek islands so you can happily visit there anytime between late April and early November. For the other islands mid-May to early October is best.
- Best Time for Visiting Mykonos and Santorini: There are daily ferries from Athens to Mykonos year-round, but ferries between Santorini and Mykonos only run in the tourist season. Direct Mykonos-Santorini ferries usually start in early April and end in late October. In April, May, and October this will often be a smaller SeaJet ferry (that can have a bumpy ride). From June to September there will also be a larger Hellenic Ferry that has a smoother feel. If you visit when there is no direct ferry you’ll likely have to go via Athens (by flight or ferry).
- Best Time for Saving Money: Hotels are much cheaper in the shoulder season (April, May, and October) than in the summer months but there’s also a lot less going on so you need to weigh the pros and cons. Transportation, food, and drink prices tend not to vary much by season. If you want good weather but cheap hotels then late May, early June, late September, or early October are great times. There are no guarantees but the first three weeks of October can often surprise visitors with great weather.
- High Season (July to early September): Hot, sunny weather with lots of people – but never so many that it’s unenjoyable. Prices are at their peak. Sea water at its warmest and best for swimming. Ferries and flights run with the greatest frequency. If you’re in Mykonos for the nightlife then this is the time to visit.
- Shoulder Season (May and June, September and early October): Great weather. Sunny and warm but not blazingly hot like the summer. Tourists are around but it’s never crowded. Everything is open in June and September but May and October will definitely see some closed doors. The sea might not be warm enough for swimming in May and October.
- Low Season (late October to April): This is winter and that means gray skies, cool weather, and rain. Few hotels and restaurants are operating (but enough to get by). Ferries and flights have very limited schedules though there’ll be at least one ferry a day going to Athens and Syros but not usually not other islands like Santorini, Naxos, or Paros.
Mykonos Weather and When To Go
- Mykonos in March: Weather is still cool but winter is ending and businesses are slowly starting to open. Almost half of the restaurants and hotels will be open by the end of the month.
- Mykonos in April: Weather is getting warmer and it’s possible to have some warm days by the end of the month when swimming and sunbathing feels possible. By the end of the month 75% of the tourist business will be open. Nightlife is still quiet but a few bars in Mykonos Town will be open and have something going on. Easter is on April 8th in 2018 and that weekend will see an uptick in visitors and activity.
- Mykonos in May: By mid-month summer feels like it’s arrived. All hotels and restaurants are open, the weather is getting nice, the beaches clubs are opening, and tourists are starting to arrive in significant numbers. There is plenty of nightlife options in Mykonos Town.
- Mykonos in June: Great weather, everything open, and nightlife is thumping. Beach parties with DJs start about mid-month.
- Mykonos in July: Almost the height of summer but still a little quieter than August. Hot weather, huge beach parties, and Mykonos Town bars are crazy (and fun).
- Mykonos in August: The busiest month on Mykonos with the most club parties, the craziest nightlife (in town and at the beach), and beautiful weather (though it can be windier than July and September).
- Mykonos in September: The nightlife and activity quiets a bit but still lots going on, everything open, and great weather. The last big club party takes place sometime around mid-September.
- Mykonos in October: Early October is still tourist season with good beach weather and nightlife in Mykonos Town but by mid-month many hotels and restaurants start to close. By the end of October the island is feeling very quiet.
- Mykonos in November: Almost like winter but there’s still a little bit going on in Mykonos Town. With some good luck and a late-season warm spell it’s possible to swim in early November but for the most part the beaches are deserted.
- Mykonos in Winter (December to February): The island is very quiet in winter. Weather is temperate by northern European standards – warmish, sunny days are not unusual – but be prepared for plenty of rain, grey skies, and chilly winds. Most businesses are closed but there’s always enough open to get by.