SD › Bora Bora Hotels › Matira Review
Updated: November 26, 2020
Hotel Matira – Resort-style setting with guesthouse-type facilities facing a wonderful beach.
This place is full of contrasts. The wooden fares (bungalows) are rather sombre, but the billiard-table lawns with swaying palms are extensive, and the white-sand beach with turquoise waters would be the envy of any five-star resort. Bungalows feature a Polynesian design and many offer genuine unobstructed views of the sea. And while the budget-priced rooms at the back of the block are a little too close to the road, the other bungalows are separate and feature pleasant porches. All accommodations contains two double beds, small living areas, and ceiling fans (no air-conditioning, which is often not provided elsewhere either).
Hotel Matira – The Basics
- Location: Along the main road in Matira at the southern end of the main island. About 7 km from the only town, Vaitape; and 30 minutes by boat and taxi from the airport.
- Guests: Appeals mostly to those who want a setting similar to a resort, but without the price tag. Not that suitable for families.
- Beach: The beach directly in front is ideal: white sand, shady palms, and calm water.
- Views: Quite a few directly face the sea. Even the Garden View Bungalows are angled nicely for glimpses of the ocean.
- WiFi: Available for an extra charge.
- Parking: Enough secure places at the reception area.
- How to Book: Book directly through the hotel website.
- Phone: (689) 4067 7051
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: hotel-matira.com
Hotel Matira – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of mid-range hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Hotel Matira – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The modest café serves French food but is mostly setup for guests who have booked meals as part of their hotel rates.
- Breakfast: Not included but available at an extra cost. An ‘American Plan’ (with breakfast and dinner) is also offered.
- Room Service: Available for breakfast only.
Hotel Matira – Rooms
- Room Types: Beach Bungalow • Lagoon View Bungalow • Garden View Bungalow • Standard Bungalow
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms (they are all wooden), but permitted on the grounds and the beach.
- Best Room: The Beach Bungalows offer the finest views of the sea and more seclusion from other guests.
Hotel Matira – What’s Nearby?
Best Restaurants & Bars
- InterContinental – Virtually next door, this massive 5-star resort offers the intimate Noa Noa for breakfast and dinner, and the more casual Vini Vini for light meals and happy hours.
- The Lucky House (40 67 68 08) – Alongside a pool for bistro-style meals, including wood-fired pizzas and a children’s menu. Barely 100m away.
- Roulotte Matira – Quaint setting with a few tables for burgers, crêpes, fish, and steaks. Mostly for takeaway, and opening hours seem fairly random. Virtually opposite the hotel.
- Restaurant Matira Beach (87 79 47 04) – Squeezed between the street and beach about 450m northwest. Classy French cuisine with Polynesian and Japanese influences. Family-friendly and free transfers. Reservations recommended.
- Snack Matira (40 67 77 32) – Simple meals and plastic tables, and a heavenly beachfront position. About 800m to the northwest.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- On the other side of the road from the hotel is a small shop which sells basic supplies.
- There is no public transport anywhere on Bora Bora. Taxis (unmetered) can be organized through the hotel but rates are extortionate, which is why many visitors hire a car, scooter, or bicycle – and the road (7 km) is flat all the way to Vaitape.
Hotel Matira – The Hotel
All Bora Bora Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Where to Stay in Bora Bora
- Best Time to Visit Bora Bora
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter