Home > Hotel Arts Review
Updated: March 7, 2020
Hotel Arts – Fashionable and luxurious hotel in busy and convenient downtown.
Stylish boutique hotel in Calgary’s downtown Beltline district, just five blocks from trendy 17th Avenue. Décor is creative and sleek with touches of modern art and bold colors. Two awarding-winning restaurants are on-site, one with a wonderful whimsical atmosphere and bistro fare and the other offering a “Vietmodern” cuisine for dinner, complemented by an award-winning cocktail menu. Hotel Arts is the only one in Calgary with an outdoor pool (covered for off-season use), surrounded by a gorgeous patio that features a Patio Bar and fire-top tables. The modern and comfortable rooms feature fashion-forward designs, Keurig coffee machines, free Wi-Fi, and breakfast vouchers. Victoria Memorial Park and the Stampede grounds are just a few blocks away.
Hotel Arts – Location
- Address: 119 12 Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta T2R 0G8.
- Area: Corner of 12th Avenue SW and Centre Street South. Short walk to the downtown core, trendy 17th Avenue, Calgary Tower, Saddledome arena, and Calgary Stampede.
- How To Get There: Nearest CTrain stations are Victoria Park/Stampede (0.5 mile, 10-minute walk) and 1st Street SW (0.4 mile, 8-minute walk). Note: The downtown CTrain corridor along 7th Avenue is free (no fare required 24/7).
- Handy To: Calgary Tower, Stephen Avenue Walk, CORE Shopping Centre, Stampede grounds.
Hotel Arts – The Basics
- Ages: Guests of all ages are welcome and cribs are available on request.
- Pet Policy: Pets are allowed at a flat fee of CA$30 per pet. Guests must sign a waiver for damages.
- View: Rooms on the north offer downtown views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools or jacuzzis. Some Luxury Suites feature bathtubs.
- Wi-Fi: Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Parking: Valet parking for CA$30 per night Sunday-Thursday and CA$20 Friday-Saturday. Restaurant guests receive complimentary self-parking.
- Laundry: Laundry, dry-cleaning, and ironing services available.
- Extras: Complimentary cruiser bikes with bike locks and helmets are available (must book in advance). Calgary’s only hotel that boasts an outdoor pool. In-room safes, wet bars (in suites only), and Keurig coffee machines in all rooms.
- When To Book: Book 2-3 months in advance for the Calgary Stampede (10 days in early July) and 1-2 months in advance for the summer, especially for long weekends.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 403-266-4611
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: hotelarts.ca
Hotel Arts – Amenities
- Pool: Outdoor pool with poolside dining. The pool deck features fire-top tables and a patio bar. Cocktail and poolside menus available (weekday and weekend). Hotel guests can invite up to 3 visitors (CA$10 fee for each visitor using the pool). An inflatable, illuminated canvas covers the entire poolside courtyard in the winter to keep the temperature constant at +24°C (+75°F).
- Spa: No spa. Several personal spa treatments can be arranged in the comfort of your room from the spa menu.
- Fitness Center: Small, on-site fitness facility. Hours: 6 am to 10 pm. Hotel guests can access a larger gym, Anytime Fitness, just steps from the hotel (100m, 1-minute walk) for a fee of CA$10. Open 24 hours. Also, Hotshop Hot Yoga is just around the corner from the hotel (0.1 mile, 3-minute walk).
- For Disabled Guests: No accessible rooms.
Hotel Arts – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Yellow Door Bistro – Great, modern food and excellent service. Popular for hearty breakfasts, 3-course express lunches, and weekend brunches. ● Raw Bar – Serves modern Vietnamese fusion cuisine. Award-winning cocktail menu. Open for dinner only. Closed on Sunday and Monday. ● Poolside Dining – Lunch and dinner (weekday and weekend) poolside menus available.
- Bar/Lounge: All 3 restaurants (which includes outdoor patio area) feature full bars with dedicated bar seating. Multiple Happy Hours at Yellow Door Monday-Saturday.
- Breakfast: Breakfast-included rooms come with a daily CA$20 credit to redeem against any combination of breakfast and beverage at Yellow Door Bistro. Credit must be used daily; unused credit does not carry over.
- Room Service: 24-hour room service (only some dishes). Orders are delivered in take-out containers (plated if requested). Breakfast is served plated.
Hotel Arts – Rooms
- Room Types: Studio King ● Pool View Suite ● Luxury Two Queen ● Luxury King ● Luxury Suite
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel is 100% smoke-free. Designated smoking areas outside the hotel.
- Best Room: Pool View Suite features a wet bar, sofa, dressing area, and an Italian marble bathroom and overlooks the outdoor pool. It is much larger than the Luxury rooms.
- For Families: The Luxury Two Queen room can sleep 4.
Hotel Arts – What’s Nearby
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Xploring Calgary Bus Tour – Very interesting and informative bus tour (passenger van, 12 guests) of Canada Olympic Park, Lougheed House, Stampede Park, Fort Calgary, and downtown Calgary. Starting point: Calgary Tower (0.4 mile, 7-minute walk).
- Calgary Downtown Intro Walking Tour – Excellent walking tour of Calgary’s downtown and its history, public art, sculptures, +15 skywalk system, and Chinatown. Starting point: Calgary Municipal Plaza (0.6 mile, 12-minute walk).
- Stampede Art and Wild West Walking Tour – This excellent walking tour highlights Calgary Stampede’s history, the wall murals and sculptures on the Stampede grounds, chuckwagon races, and the rodeo. Starting point: Stampede Gate inside Stampede Grounds (0.6 mile, 12-minute walk).
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Ten Foot Henry – Around the corner from the hotel. Vegetable-anchored menu focused on family-style dining (also has a tiny adjoining toast bar, Little Henry, if you are short on time). Scrumptious avocado toast. 2-minute walk (100m).
- Two Penny – Next to Ten Foot Henry. Modern Chinese and North American food. Ginger Beef is delicious. Lots of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options. 2-minute walk (100m).
- Native Tongues Taqueria – Rustic and upscale cantina known for its excellent Mexican food, family-style tacos, cocktails, and mezcal and tequila tastings. 2-minute walk (0.1 mile).
- Vintage Chophouse & Tavern – Upscale, dark wood bar with adjoining dining room. Live local bands play (pop/rock and R&B) every Friday and Saturday evenings 10pm-1am. 4-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- Red’s Diner – Casual, homey diner with friendly service, open for breakfast and lunch. Famous for their Eggs Benedict. 9-minute walk (0.4 mile).
- Una Pizza & Wine – Trendy and lively spot serving delicious and creative thin-crust pizzas. Often busy during peak dinner hours; while waiting for a table, check out the romantic and cozy Frenchie Wine Bar located at the back of the restaurant. There is a dog-friendly outdoor patio as well. 14-minute walk (0.7 mile).
- Bonterra Trattoria – Casual Italian fare in a Tuscan-style décor. Beet salad is outstanding and so is the beautiful outdoor patio. 17-minute walk (0.8 mile).
- Posto Pizzeria & Bar – Next to Bonterra Trattoria. Cozy and casual in a rustic atmosphere with a wine bar. Open-flamed pizza oven and some inspired pizzas. Small outdoor patio. 17-minute walk (0.8 mile).
- The Coup – Ethical vegetarian restaurant focusing on organic, local, and made-from-scratch foods and drinks. Small outdoor patio. 21-minute drive (1 mile).
Best Nearby Cafes
- Deville Coffee – Just off Stephen Avenue Walk. If you need a break from the crowds, check out this little oasis, especially the coffeeshop’s second level. Amazing coffee, maybe the best in the city. Locals adore this little place. 7-minute walk (0.3 mile).
- Village Ice Cream – Delicious homemade ice cream. A local favorite, so expect long lines during peak summertime hours. Tucked away at the end of 10th Avenue SE. 12-minute walk (0.6 mile).
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Leopold’s Tavern – Around the corner from Hotel Arts. Small, friendly, and extremely popular neighborhood pub with excellent pub-fare. 1-minute walk (100m).
- St. James Corner – Also around the corner from the hotel. Two-level Irish pub with large TVs and different sitting areas. Antique décor. 2-minute walk (0.1 mile).
- Last Best Brewing & Distilling – This contemporary brew pub offers its own brand of in-house beer and delicious pub-fare. Happy hour every day 2-6pm. 10-minute walk (0.5 mile).
- Trolley 5 – Two-level brewery where you can watch the brewing process from any seat. Outdoor patio spills onto the sidewalk and the hustle and bustle of 17th Avenue. 17-minute walk (0.8 mile).
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Stephen Avenue Walk – Pedestrian mall that’s an energetic mix of retail, historical, and cultural destinations – all located on 8 Avenue SW, between 4 Street SW and 1 Street SE.7-minute walk (0.3 mile).
- CORE Shopping Centre – 140+ stores spanning several city blocks, including the flagship stores of Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen, Simons, and The Bay. Home to the Devonian Gardens. Weekends: Free parking for the first 3 hours (starting at mall opening) and a CA$2 flat rate applies thereafter. Weekdays: Free parking after 3 pm. Valet parking is complimentary, however parking fare (for stall) will still apply. 10-minute walk (0.5 mile).
- The Cookbook Co. Cooks – Kitchen gadgets your thing? Check out this little shop. Includes wine store and bakery downstairs. Cooking classes available. 13-minute walk (0.6 mile).
- Steeling Home – A treasure trove of unique gifts, souvenirs, and knick-knacks on 17th Avenue. 22-minute walk (1 mile).
- Calgary Tower – Observation tower offering fantastic 360-degree views of the city. For the brave, there is an area with a glass floor looking straight down. Also a restaurant/lounge which offers a full rotating view of the city as it revolves once every 45 minutes during lunchtime and every hour during dinner service. Tip: Your elevation fare is complimentary when you order an entrée from the restaurant. 7-minute walk (0.4 mile).
- Devonian Gardens – The top level of CORE shopping center is home to Devonian Gardens, a large and popular indoor botanical garden with a children’s play area. 12-minute walk (0.6 mile).
- Studio Bell, National Music Centre – Museum of instruments and memorabilia with interactive exhibits for all ages. Test how good your singing really is in the sound booth, play various instruments, and tour the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Tons of cool artifacts. Some fun exhibits for the kids in the Bodyphonic gallery, especially where the room is the instrument and you see sound move as you use your hands and feet to control the tone. The kids love this one. 15-minute walk (0.7 mile).
- Prince’s Island Park – Beautiful and popular island park with picnic spots and several gardens, and also where several festivals are held, including Canada Day celebrations and Calgary Folk Festival. The only way to get to the island is via one of the many pedestrian bridges. The bike and pedestrian Peace Bridge nearby is an architectural marvel. 24-minute walk (1.2 miles).
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Sunterra Market Keynote – Grocery store with gourmet cafeteria-style self-serve, including a coffee bar, large salad bar, and a variety of ready-made meals. 3rd-floor restaurant, MARKETBar, is a full-service bar/restaurant offering a rooftop patio with city views. 4-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- Safeway – Large supermarket with deli, bakery, and on-site Starbucks. 14-minute walk (0.7 mile).
Hotel Arts – The Hotel
All Calgary Hotel Reviews
- Alt Hotel Calgary East Village
- Calgary Marriott Downtown
- Delta Hotels Calgary Downtown
- Fairfield Inn & Suites
- Fairmont Palliser
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Calgary Downtown
- Hotel Arts Kensington
- Hotel Elan
- Hyatt Regency Calgary
- Pomeroy Kananaskis Mountain Lodge
- Le Germain Hotel
- Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
- The Westin Calgary