Greece › Santorini › Art Space Winery
by Santorini Dave • Updated: April 18, 2022
Art Space Winery in Exo Gonia, Santorini
A unique and spell-binding mix of wine, caves, and art dating back to 1861. Art Space Santorini is divided into three main sections: an underground cave with an art exhibit featuring paintings and sculptures by Greek and international artists; a museum that houses artifacts, photos, and equipment from the old winery; and the modern winery and tasting room.
Art Space produces mostly white wines made with the Assyrtiko grape, along with a tasty vin santo blend of Assyrtiko, Aidani, and Athiri. There’s no restaurant on site, but cold meat and cheese platters are available to accompany tastings.
Art Space Winery Santorini Hours and Information
- Season: Open daily April-October, by reservation only November-March
- Hours: Open daily 11am to 7pm April to October. November to March open by reservation only.
- Website: artspace-santorini.com
- Location: Thera 847 00
- Telephone: +30 693 289 9509
- Restaurant: No restaurant, but cold platters of meat and cheeses available on site.
- View: No view.
- Tours & Tastings: Tours of the art space and winery are provided by the owner, free of charge. Tasting prices vary depending on how many bottles you want to try, starting at €10 for 4 wines and €20 for 8 wines.
- Parking: On-site parking is available.
- Bus: Easily accessible by bus on the Fira-Kamari route. Ask the driver to stop at Art Space, the winery is a 7-minute walk from the nearest bus stop.
Art Space Winery Santorini – Map
(Click here for downloadable map.)
Art Space Winery Santorini – Photos
Art Space Winery in Exo Gonia is a unique blend of modern winery, historical museum, and art gallery.
The beautiful and rustic entrance sets the stage, hinting at the winery’s historic and artistic credentials.
In Art Space’s vineyard, grapes are grown on circular supports, in place of long trellises. This is common practice on Santorini, and is done to limit the stress on the vines from the island’s strong winds.
Entrance to Art Space Santorini.
The winery’s old distillery, dating back to 1861, serves as a museum devoted to winemaking.
Vintage machinery, equipment, and artifacts from the historical process of winemaking are displayed…
…alongside old family photographs from the winery’s past.
The modern winery’s barrel room lies 8 meters underground, within thick walls of pumice.
The modern winery tasting room. Tasting prices vary depending on how many bottles you want to try, starting at €10 for 4 wines and €20 for 8 wines.
The owner, Antonis, personally leads tastings and escorts visitors around the winery and art space, explaining its history in a charmingly thick accent.
The main art gallery space is housed in the old winery’s long underground cave tunnels, carved into the natural volcanic rock.
It’s a gallery experience you’re unlikely to find anywhere else in the world.
The gallery displays sculpture, paintings, and photography by contemporary Greek artists
Ample parking is available on site at Art Space Santorini. The photo shows Art Space as seen from the adjacent parking lot.
There is a convenient ATM located in the Art Space parking lot.
Art Space Santorini is easily accessed by bus, on the Fira-Kamari route. Ask the driver to let you out at Art Space. From this stop, the winery is a 7-minute walk. Start by traveling a short distance south down the main road. This photo looks up the hill from the bus stop; from here you would walk down the road to the left.
From the bus stop, walk a short distance south down the main road to the next intersection – shown here in the distance with a red sign
At the intersection, this red sign will point you uphill to Art Space Winery.
(On the opposite side of the road there is a blue sign that also points the way.)
A short while up the road, make a right hand turn at this corner, clearly marked to point the way. Art Space Santorini will be just up the road, to your left.
Art Space Santorini, as seen from the road.
If you’re driving, drive past the entrance to find the parking lot, located directly behind the building.
- Artemis Karamolegos Winery – Exo Gonia, Santorini
- Art Space Winery – Exo Gonia, Santorini
- Boutari Winery – Megalochori, Santorini
- Canava Roussos – Episkopi Gonia, Santorini
- Canava Antonis Arvanitis – Megalochori, Santorini
- Domaine Sigalas – Oia, Santorini
- Estate Argyros Winery – Episkopi Gonia, Santorini
- Gaia Wines – Perivolia, Santorini
- Gavalas Winery – Megalochori, Santorini
- Hatzidakis Winery – Pyrgos, Santorini
- Koutsoyannopoulos Wine Museum – Vothonas, Santorini
- Santo Wines – Pyrgos, Santorini
- Vassaltis Vineyards – Vourvoulos, Santorini
- Venetsanos Winery – Megalochori, Santorini