A small, friendly Megalochori winery that has been family-run for 5 generations, and my favorite winery on Santorini. Gavalas offers an intimate wine tasting experience without the views you find at nearby Santos and Venetsanos (though Perissa can be seen in the distance from the outside patio). Three tasting options are offered: 3 (€10/person), 5 (€15/person), or 7 (€20/person) wines; a small selection of wine is available for purchase at reception. Tours take about an hour. There’s no restaurant on site but there is a good taverna nearby that serves traditional Greek food. Open 10am to 8pm daily, April through October. Drop-ins are welcome, but it’s a good idea to make reservations, especially with larger groups. There’s limited parking available (and the winery can be hard to find if you’re driving on your own), but it’s not too hard to access by bus – the nearest bus stop is in Megalochori, only a 7-10 minute walk away.
Gavalas Winery Santorini Hours and Information
- Season: Open April through October.
- Hours: 10am-8pm daily April 1st to October 30th.
- Website: gavalaswines.gr (currently down)
- Location: Megalochori 847 00
- Telephone: +30 2286 082552
- Restaurant: No restaurant, but there are plenty within a short walk.
- View: No caldera view.
- Tours & Tastings: Tours are offered daily, and take about an hour. Three tasting options are offered: 3 (€10/person), 5 (€15/person), or 7 (€20/person) bottles.
- Parking: A limited number of on-site parking spots are available.
- Bus: The nearest bus stop is about a 7-10 minute walk from the winery, on the road that passes Megalochori. Buses traveling south from Fira and on their way to Perissa, Perivolos, and Akrotiri, will make stops here. If coming from another village such as Oia, Imerovigli, or Kamari you’ll need to make a transfer in Fira to a Megalochori (south-bound) bus.
Gavalas Winery Santorini
- Boutari Winery – Megalochori, Santorini
- Domaine Sigalas – Oia, Santorini
- Estate Argyros – Episkopi Gonia, Santorini
- Santo Wines – Pyrgos, Santorini
- Venetsanos Winery – Megalochori, Santorini
- Best Hotels in Santorini
- Best Santorini Wine Tours
- Best Santorini Tours and Things To Do
- Best Santorini Private Tours
- Best Santorini Boat Tours
- Santorini Travel Guide