Updated: May 19, 2017
When is the best time to go to Greece?
The best time to visit the islands and beaches of Greece is from late May to early October when the weather is great and there’s little rain. The sea temperature warms throughout the summer and swimming is best in July, August, and September. August is the busiest and most expensive month but is the best for nightlife and partying. Athens is best from March to June and September to November.
Best Months to Visit Greece
- Best Time to Visit Mykonos: June, July, September
- Best Time to Visit Santorini: May, June, September, October
- Best Time to Visit Crete: June and September
- Best Time to Visit Rhodes: June and September
- Best Time to Visit Naxos: July, August, and September
- Best Time to Visit Paros: July, August, and September
- Best Time to Visit Ios: July and August
- Best Time to Visit Athens: April, May, and October
- Best Time to Visit Corfu: July and September
- Best Time to Visit Peloponnese: June and September
When is the best time to visit Greece and the Greek Islands?
- Best Time in Greece for Great Weather: The warmest weather in Greece and the Greek islands is between late May and early October when it’s sunny, warm, and the water is good for swimming. Water temperature increases throughout the summer months. Water can be cool for swimming in late May and June. It’s warmest in August and early September. Swimming in early May and late October is often possible but can’t be guaranteed.
- Best Time in Greece for a Beach Holiday: If you want guaranteed great weather for swimming, suntanning, and spending time at the beach then June, July, August, and September are have great weather.
- Best Time for Sightseeing: If you’re visiting Greece more for the sightseeing, history, wine, food, views, and landscape then you don’t need hot weather just warm pleasant weather. So the months of April, May, October, and early November are great times for touring the sights. The weather is still warm by northern european standards though there can be rain and some warmer clothing should be packed. June through September is also good for sightseeing just be prepared for hot days and lots of sun.
- Best Time for Saving Money: Hotels are much cheaper in the low season (December to March) and shoulder season (April, May, October and November) than in the summer months. Transportation, food, and drink prices tend not to stay the same all year long so there’s little savings in that regard. If you want good weather but cheap hotels then late May, early June, late September, and early October are the great times. There are no guarantees but the first three weeks of October can often surprise visitors with great weather.
- Best Time for Nightlife and Parties – Mykonos, Paros, Ios, and Santorini have the best nightlife and if you’re looking to party, dance, and listen to live DJs then July and August are the main months. On Mykonos late June and early September are also good. On Santorini there’s good nightlife from late May until early October.
- Best Time for a Honeymoon in Greece – If you want a beach holiday then June to September is best. If you’re more interested in quiet, solitude, sightseeing, and romance then anytime from April to early November would be great.
- High Season (late June to early September): Hot, sunny weather with lots of people – but never so many that it’s unenjoyable. Prices are at their peak. Sea water at its warmest and best for swimming. Ferries and flights run often and most routes have multiple ferries per day. If you’re in Greece for the nightlife then this is the time to visit.
- Shoulder Season (May and June, September and October): Great weather. Sunny and warm but not blazingly hot like the summer. Many tourists but it’s never crowded. Everything is open and ferries are running nearly all of their routes. The sea might not be warm enough for swimming in early May and late October.
- Low Season (November to April): This is winter and that means gray skies, cool weather, and rain. Few hotels and restaurants are operating on the islands (but enough to get by). Ferries and flights have very limited schedules to the islands. If you’re visiting in the off-season the best islands to visit are Santorini (year-round tourism) or Crete (large local population). In Athens everything is open and busy year round.
- The Best Hotels on Santorini
- The Best Hotels on Mykonos
- The Best Hotels on Crete
- The Best Hotels on Rhodes
- The Best Hotels on Naxos
- The Best Hotels on Paros
- The Best Hotels on Ios
- The Best Hotels on Milos
- The Best Hotels on Sifnos
- The Best Hotels on Folegandros
- The Best Hotels in Athens
- The Best Tours and Things To Do in Santorini