Updated: December 1, 2016
What are the best Greek Islands?
- Best Greek Island for Honeymoon: Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Nightlife and Parties: Mykonos
- Best Greek Island for Beaches: Naxos, Mykonos, Ios, Crete
- Best Greek Island for Families: Naxos
- Best Greek Island for Families with Teens: Santorini, Mykonos, Paros
- Best Greek Island for History: Crete, Rhodes, Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Hiking: Crete, Folegandros, Santorini, Naxos
- Best Greek Island for Biking: Kos
- Best Greek Island for Luxury: Santorini, Mykonos
- Best Greek Island for Quiet and Solitude: Folegandros, Ikaria, Karpathos
- Best Greek Island for Outdoor Activity: Crete, Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Food: All of them
- Best Greek Island for Cruise: None of them – don’t do cruises, visit on your own
- Best for Island Hopping: Santorini, Naxos, Paros, Ios, Mykonos, and Milos are all well connected by ferry and easy to get from one to the next
The 10 Best Greek Islands
The most romantic greek island and the best one for a honeymoon is Santorini (Mykonos is great if you want more nightlife). This is the Cave House Suite at Keti Hotel in Fira – one of the most private and romantic suites in Santorini.
Mykonos has the best nightlife and club scene of any greek island. It usually starts with dinner and drinks by the water and then hit the clubs in Mykonos Town (or a beach party at Paradise Beach).
Rhodes is one of the best islands for historical sightseeing (Crete, Naxos, and Santorini are also great). This is the main entrance of the famous Knights Grand Master Palace (also known as Castello) in Rhodes Town, a must-visit museum.
Santorini and Milos are two of the most beautiful islands in Greece. This is the fishing village of Firopotamos on Milos.
The greek islands are loaded with great beaches. Some of the best are on Naxos, Crete, and Ios. This is Mylopotas beach on Ios.
Island hopping by ferry is one of the highlights of the greek islands. Sitting at the back of the ferry and seeing the islands pass by until you arrive at the one your destination.
Folegandros is the best greek island for hiking – great paths all around this beautiful island.
All the greek islands have great food and restaurants. This is a gyros plate from a restaurant in Crete.
Naxos is a wonderful family destination. Great beaches, a relaxed vibe, cheap hotels (and luxury ones too), and there’s even a water park.
Paros is a great island for families and it’s got a little more shopping and activity for teens – and nightlife for older family members.