Get updates & free travel guides – Subscribe here
The Best Islands in Greece
- Best Greek Island for Honeymoon: Santorini
- Best Greek Island to Party: Mykonos
- Best Greek Island for Couples: Santorini • Paros
- Best Greek Island for Singles: Ios • Mykonos
- Best Greek Island for Beaches: Naxos • Mykonos • Ios • Crete
- Best Greek Island for Families: Naxos
- Best Greek Island for Teens: Santorini • Mykonos • Paros • Rhodes
- Best Greek Island for History: Crete • Rhodes • Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Hiking: Crete • Folegandros • Santorini • Naxos
- Best Greek Island for Biking: Kos
- Best Greek Island for Luxury: Santorini • Mykonos
- Best Greek Island for Quiet and Solitude: Antiparos • Folegandros • Ikaria • Karpathos
- Best Greek Island for Outdoor Activity: Crete • Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Food: All of them
- Best Greek Island for a Cruise: None of them – don’t do a Greek island cruise, visit on your own
- Best for Island Hopping: Take Greek Ferries around the Cyclades: Santorini • Naxos • Paros, Ios • Mykonos • Milos
The 5 Best Greek Islands
My favorite island in Greece is Santorini. If you can only make visit one island make it Santorini. Loaded with great boat tours, wine tours, fantastic hotels, amazing restaurants, and awesome things to do. Along with Crete, Santorini is the best island in Greece in the winter and shoulder seasons when it still has plenty to do.
The largest Greek island and rich with beaches, historical sights, hikes, and small cities. So big that if you only have a week it’s good to limit yourself to only this island. If you have two weeks it makes a great pair with Santorini.
The most family-friendly island in Greece is Naxos. Great beaches and the main town is crammed with wonderful tavernas serving some of the best food on the Greek islands. The inland villages are marvelous to explore.
If you want quiet idyllic beaches, an unhurried charm, and fantastic local restaurants then Antiparos is a great choice. It’s reachable only by boat from nearby Paros.
Greek Islands – Where To Go
Best Greek Islands To Visit in March, April, October, and November
This is shoulder season. The busiest islands and those with a local population are quieter but still humming with plenty of hotels and restaurants open. Santorini, Crete, and Rhodes are the best Greek islands to visit in the spring and autumn period.
Best Greek Islands To Visit in May, June, and September
The Greek islands have beautiful weather in the months just before and after peak season. It’s a great time to see the islands, save money, avoid the crowds, and still have great weather (though not as hot as July and August). If you want to see the super-popular islands of Santorini, Rhodes, Corfu, and Crete without the tourists then this is a great time to visit.
Best Greek Islands To Visit in July and August
The busiest and hottest months. If you like beach parties and packed clubs then Mykonos is the place to be. The less-busy islands (Antiparos, Sifnos, Ikaria, Folegandros, Milos) have short tourists seasons and this is when they’re fully open and running. Santorini, Crete, Rhodes, and Corfu are in peak-season but all are large enough to retain their charm.
Best Greek Islands To Visit in December, January, and February
Most islands are very quiet in the winter. Crete and Santorini are the best islands as they still have plenty to do even in winter and there are lots of (open) places to stay and eat.