Updated: September 22, 2017
What are the Best Greek Islands?
- Best Greek Island for a Honeymoon: Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Nightlife and Parties: Mykonos
- Best Greek Island for Couples: Santorini, Paros
- Best Greek Island for Beaches: Naxos, Mykonos, Ios, Crete
- Best Greek Island for Families: Naxos
- Best Greek Island for Families with Teens: Santorini, Mykonos, Paros, Rhodes
- Best Greek Island for History: Crete, Rhodes, Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Hiking: Crete, Folegandros, Santorini, Naxos
- Best Greek Island for Biking: Kos
- Best Greek Island for Luxury: Santorini, Mykonos
- Best Greek Island for Quiet and Solitude: Folegandros, Ikaria, Karpathos
- Best Greek Island for Outdoor Activity: Crete, Santorini
- Best Greek Island for Food: All of them
- Best Greek Island for Cruise: None of them – don’t do cruises, visit on your own
- Best for Island Hopping: The Cyclades: Santorini, Naxos, Paros, Ios, Mykonos, and Milos (and more) are all well connected by ferry and easy to get from one to the next
Greek Islands – When To Go
Best Greek Islands in March, April, October, and November
This is shoulder season. The busiest islands and those with a local population are quieter but still humming along with plenty of hotels and restaurants open. Santorini, Crete, and Rhodes are the best Greek islands to visit in the spring and autumn period.
Best Greek Islands in May, June, and September
The Greek islands have beautiful weather in the months just before and after peak season. It’s a great time to see the islands, save money, avoid the crowds, and still have great weather (though not as hot as July and August). If you want to see the super-popular islands of Santorini, Rhodes, Corfu, and Crete without the tourists then this is a great time to visit.
Best Greek Islands in July and August
The busiest and hottest months. If you like beach parties and packed clubs then Mykonos is the place to be. The less-busy islands (Antiparos, Sifnos, Ikaria, Folegandros, Milos) have short tourists seasons and this is when they’re fully open and running. Santorini, Crete, Rhodes, and Corfu are in peak-season but all are large enough to retain their charm.
Best Greek Islands in December, January, and February
Most islands are very quiet in the winter. Crete and Santorini are the best islands as they still have plenty to do even in winter and there are lots of (open) places to stay and eat.