Radisson Blu City Centre – Large, comfortable, inexpensive, and surprisingly refined.
More elegant than the outside might suggest, the Radisson is one in a worldwide chain of reliable, functional, and good-value hotels catering to tourists and business people alike. Towering over the Cooum River, it offers a range of spacious rooms, each with a large desk and full-length window providing more interesting views than rival hotels. Amenities are as expected – outdoor pool, big gym, and opulent lobby – but a pleasant surprise is the number of sophisticated bistros, as well as a wonderfully elegant bar/lounge, one of the city’s finest.
Radisson Blu City Centre – The Location
- Address: Ethiraj Salai, Commander-in-Chief Road, Egmore, in the city center.
- Nearest Metro: LIC metro station is 1.5 km from the hotel.
- Area: Busy residential area on the edge of a shopping district. It overlooks a river, but this is not an attraction and is, in fact, rather smelly at times.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 45 minutes (16 km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. (In fact, the Egmore terminal is less than 2km from the hotel.) See Local Transport below for more information.
Radisson Blu City Centre – The Basics
- Guests: About half-and-half business people and tourists.
- Views: As the only high-rise in the immediate area, views are more noteworthy than most other hotels in Chennai.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city business-style hotel.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 3040 4444
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: radissonblu.com
Radisson Blu City Centre – Amenities
- Pool: Reasonable size but could get crowded. Outdoors, with several cafés/bars facing it.
- Spa: Chakra Spa offers massages and facials, and features a steam room, hot tubs, and hair salon.
- Fitness Center: Alongside the pool and spa, with all sorts of impressive equipment.
- Other Facilities: Laundry. Money-changing. Boutique.
Radisson Blu City Centre – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Oasis – Open 24 hours for buffets and a la carte. Excellent coffee and attentive service. • The Great Kebab Factory – For vegetarians and meat-lovers alike, there’s lunchtime buffets and a long menu all day. • Salt Co. 531 – Open-plan kitchen cooking contemporary cuisine, with emphasis on traditional methods using salt. Family-friendly, and popular for live music and Sunday brunch. • Blue Hickey Bistro – Chic vibe and intriguing décor (e.g. bottles on the walls and ceiling). Open 24 hours. • Winchester Bar – Cocktails, cigars, and conversation in one of the city’s finest bars. Leather lounges and U-shaped bar add immensely to the appeal.
- Breakfast: Normally included in all rates, but double-check when booking.
- Room Service: Available 24/7 but a limited menu overnight.
Radisson Blu City Centre – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Deluxe Rooms • Business Class Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: An entire floor of rooms is available to smokers.
- Best Room: Business Class Suites are considerably larger and feature separate living areas.
- For Families: Essentially a business hotel, with space for an extra single bed in the Business Class Suites.
Radisson Blu City Centre – Local Transport
- Walking: With plenty of facilities along a comparatively quieter street, walking is more pleasant than most other areas of the city.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro station – LIC – is 1.5 km away. The more useful Egmore metro station is about 2.5 km from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Radisson Blu City Centre – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Very little of note along the street in front, so head to the area around the Ambassador Pallava hotel. From the gates of the Radisson turn right, then right again, and right once more at the junction under the flyover. These places are within 300m of that junction.
- Olive & Basil – Tempting menu of mostly noodles and seafood. (600m).
- Spice Trail – In the same building as Olive & Basil. Popular, with a focus on local cuisine, including tandoori items and biryanis (rice-based dishes). (600m).
- Cakewalk – All sorts of pastries and coffee. A few tables inside. (650m).
- Domino’s – Familiar pizza joint for eating-in, takeaway, or delivery. (650m).
- Vestin Park – Opposite the Ambassador, this hotel offers a decent restaurant, Splendour, and to the side, Brew Bites. (700m).
- Ambassador Pallava – Pleasant hotel, if a little old-fashioned, offering Salt & Pepper Coffee Shop (casual, open 24 hours, and excellent meals) and The Society (pleasant seating, tasty meals, and bar attached). (750m).
- A few shops further up the street. Several more calling themselves a ‘mall’ near the Ambassador Pallava hotel, but these are just a meager collection of shops, with little of interest to most hotel guests.
Radisson Blu City Centre – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Crowne Plaza Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai
- Hyatt Regency
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chamiers Road
- Raintree, Anna Salai
- Residency Towers
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Chennai Hotel Map
- The Best Time to Visit Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai