The Residency Chennai – Inexpensive and no-frills mid-range hotel in a decent area.
This hotel is ideal for those who want luxury without any unwanted extras, like a pool, spa, or mustachioed doorman with a turban. While some facilities are lacking, the rooms are still very comfortable, although as unfussy as the hotel itself. Also, the restaurants and bar on-site are surprisingly sophisticated. It is, however, all about the rates (which are far lower than more fancied rivals nearby, and include breakfast) and the location: at a convenient junction surrounded by useful shops and tempting cafés.
The Residency Chennai – The Location
(Not to be confused with the sister hotel, Residency Towers Chennai, about 1 km away.)
- Address: 49 Gopathi Narayanaswami (GN) Chetty Road, in the inner southern suburb called T. Nagar. Faces a flyover at a junction with a side street, Dr Nair Road.
- Nearest Metro: AG-DMS metro station is 1 km away.
- Area: Busy shopping and business district. More developed area than most, so plenty of shops and cafés nearby.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 45 minutes (13 km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
The Residency Chennai – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly Indian business people during the week and Indian tourists on weekends, but also ideal for budget-minded foreigners.
- Views: Rooms facing the flyover may be affected by some traffic noise, while those facing the side and back offer reasonable, but occasionally obstructed, city views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this sort of low-key inner-city hotel in Chennai.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room. Free laundry and airport transfers for those staying in the suites.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2825 3434
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: theresidency.com
The Residency Chennai – Amenities
- Pool: No pool, but the lower rates reflect this.
- Spa: Ditto.
- Fitness Center: Tiny, but most guests probably won’t use it anyway.
- Other Facilities: Business services. Travel desk. Laundry. Money-changing.
The Residency Chennai – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The Right Place – Open 24/7 at the lobby level for a wide selection of Indian and international food. • Spice Jar – Vast buffets attracting local business people at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. • Chin Chin – Swish, award-winning, and friendly Chinese restaurant on the 2nd floor. Wine and beer available. • Black and White – Dark but inviting sports bar serving imported spirits and beers. Live music on some nights.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates, which is unusual among rivals.
- Room Service: Available, but more limited menu overnight.
The Residency Chennai – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Executive Rooms • Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking on the premises.
- Best Room: The Suites are twice the size of the rooms and include free laundry and airport transfers.
- For Families: Not that well set up for families, but there’s space in the rooms and suites for an extra single bed. Otherwise, ask about booking connecting rooms.
The Residency Chennai – Local Transport
- Walking: The main road in front with the flyover is not that pleasant for walking, though there are plenty of facilities in both directions. The side street (Dr Nair Road) is marginally nicer, but the offshoots of that road are comparatively shady and quiet.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro station – AG-DMS – is 1 km from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
The Residency Chennai – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Amar Fast Food & Restaurant – Virtually alongside the hotel gates. Simple, clean, well-priced, and imaginative vegetarian food.
- Café Coffee Day – One in a vast countrywide chain for reliable coffee and light meals. Less than 100m down the side-street (away from the flyover).
- Absolute Barbecue T-Nagar – Hugely popular chain for buffets and grills cooked at the table. About 100m. Head right from the hotel gates.
- The Noodle Theory – On the other side of the flyover (which is easy to walk under). Upstairs for people-watching, TV sports, and tasty ‘Pan-Asian’ cuisine in contemporary setting. (100m).
- Café Central – About 300m past Café Coffee Day, it’s a friendly and funky place with outside seating. Burgers, nachos, and noodles. (400m).
- 10 Downing Street – Almost as posh as it sounds, an English-style pub for grills, live music, and imported spirits. About 500m; walk down the side-street (Dr Nair Road), take the first left and turn right at North Boag Road.
- Quite a few places in the area of interest to tourists, including the decent More Supermarket only 75m down the side-street (Dr Nair Road) from the flyover.
The Residency Chennai – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Courtyard by Marriott Chennai
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels
- Hyatt Regency Chennai
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre
- The Raintree, Anna Salai
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai