Home > St. Mark’s Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
St. Mark’s Hotel – Lovely old-style hotel that’s affordable, personable, and convenient.
A little bit funky (aquariums in the lobby), yet almost colonial (whitewashed walls and dark wooden furniture), the award-winning St. Mark’s is instantly likable. Offering a personality and grace absent from top-end hotels in glass towers nearby, this boutique hotel doesn’t provide a pool, spa, or mini-bars, but the lower rates (which include breakfast) reflect this. Even the lowest category rooms are very spacious, while suites feature an adorable mix of contemporary art and old-fashioned furniture. Added attractions are the breezy rooftop terrace and convenience to numerous swish cafés and bars.
St. Mark’s Hotel – The Location
- Address: 4/1 St. Mark’s Road, in the inner city. The road is a one-way heading south to Residency Road.
- Area: Affluent district of company buildings and upmarket shops and apartments. Walkable to the major park (Cubbon Park) and world-class UB City mall.
- How to Get There: From the airport (38km, 1 to 1.5-hour drive), take a metered taxi or arrange a pick-up with Uber or Ola (see below). Just as quick, and far cheaper, are the comfortable blue express buses (24 hours) that stop at Richmond Circle, a major junction 600m southwest of the hotel (8-minute walk). About 5km from the Bengaluru City (Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna) railway terminal and adjoining Majestic (Kempegowda) bus station (30-minute drive).
- Handy to: UB City mall. Cubbon Park.
St. Mark’s Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Interesting mix of business people, tourists, and government officials.
- Views: In a built-up area, so all windows face other buildings, but at a distance of at least 50m.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of boutique inner-city hotel.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)80 4001 9000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: stmarkshotel.com
St. Mark’s Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: Perhaps surprisingly, no pool. Probably no space within this smallish inner-city hotel.
- Spa: No spa onsite, but guests receive a 20% discount at The Palms Spa, 70m up the road. 1-minute walk.
- Fitness Center: Small but probably enough gear for the limited number of guests.
- Other Facilities: Rooftop terrace, with yoga mats and help-yourself tea/coffee.
St. Mark’s Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Curry with a ‘K’ – Extensive buffets at breakfast and lunch, as well as a menu focusing on contemporary Indian cuisine. A little dark, but excellent service and hearty portions. • Luscious – Cozy bar/lounge on a mezzanine level. Friendly staff and tempting happy hours including imported wines and spirits. • Terrace Garden – Panoramic views, delicious snacks, and good selection of drinks through the day. Hotel guests only.
- Breakfast: Substantial breakfast included in all rates, which is a rarity among rivals.
- Room Service: Available from 7 am to 9.30 pm.
St. Mark’s Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Executive Rooms • Suite Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Some smoking rooms available.
- Best Room: The gorgeous suite rooms are large and packed with old-style furniture. Those in a corner on an upper floor provide double the views from twice the windows.
- For Families: Not set up for families. Better options elsewhere.
St. Mark’s Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: With more footpaths and fewer vehicles, this is one of the nicest areas in the city for walking. Plenty of shops and cafés in the vicinity, and a mall and extensive park just 10-15 minutes on foot.
- Public Transport: The Namma (Bengaluru) Metro has limited services but does go to the main bus and train stations. (Ambitious plans to connect the airport have stalled indefinitely.) The nearest station – Mahatma Gandhi Road – is about 1.5km from the hotel. 18-minute walk.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Very few taxis along the main road, so one is best arranged through reception. Otherwise, Uber and Ola are very common. For most trips around the city, auto-rickshaws are good enough, but drivers won’t use meters, so bargain hard.
St. Mark’s Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
These 4 places are within 300m north up the road (i.e. against the one-way traffic).
- No. 10 Fort Cochin – Great-value thalis (set meals) on a banana leaf, among other tasty dishes, focusing on seafood. Interesting murals and street views. 2nd floor of a corner building. 2-minute walk (180m).
- The Open Box – Trendy, open-air bistro/bar offering an excellent range of western food. Snooker table and loud music. 4th floor of the same building as Fort Cochin. 2-minute walk (180m).
- Leon Grill – Popular for burgers, salads, and other healthy options. Great for non-Indian food. 3-minute walk (230m).
- Truffles – 2 entrances almost side-by-side for affordable and tasty western food at pleasing prices. 4-minute walk (300m).
Otherwise, turn left (west) along Vittal Mallya Road at the corner 100m north of the hotel. Within a short walk from that corner are several fashionable café/bars. These 3 are at a prominent junction:
- Starbucks – Familar design and menu. On 2 levels, offering street views. 5-minute walk (450m).
- The Biere Club – Popular for its colorful setting, affordable pub-style meals, and very happy hours. Micro-brewery and trendy DJs. 6-minute walk (500m).
- Bootlegger – Cozy, friendly, and excellent happy hours. Opposite The Biere Club. 6-minute walk (500m).
St. Mark’s Hotel – The Hotel
All Bengaluru Hotel Reviews
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai