InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – Luxurious, spacious, and handy, with magnificent pools but no beach.
The most convenient upmarket resort to Pape’ete and the airport offers rooms in classy three-level blocks among impeccably landscaped gardens. Most face the ocean, while many offer genuine sea views. The above-water bungalows are tucked away in a corner near the second pool, while other larger bungalows feature a less-traditional design and are attached to an artificial island. Shimmering with numerous shades of blue, the main pool features a ‘waterfall’ and infinity edges that blend into the ‘lagoonarium’ (popular for safe snorkeling and fish-feeding). There is actually no natural beach, only slivers of imported sand facing the ‘lagoonarium’, but the range of activities offered is impressive. The only real drawback is the absence of anywhere to eat or drink within walking distance.
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – The Basics
- Location: In Faa’a, on the western outskirts of the Tahitian capital, Pape’ete. About 2 km from the airport, 8 km from downtown, and a little further from the ferry terminal for services to Moorea.
- Guests: Caters to all. Families are welcome, but nothing particularly set up for children (e.g. no kids club).
- Beach: Plenty of coastline, but no real beach. Some artificial areas of sand are by the manmade ‘lagoonarium’ and an isolated sliver of natural sand faces the sea.
- Views: Many rooms provide sea views, especially on the second and third floors.
- Wi-Fi: Free and unlimited ‘standard Wi-Fi’ throughout, which is good enough. A ‘Premium’ version costs too much.
- Parking: Plenty of free and secure parking near the lobby.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (689) 40 86 51 78
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: tahiti.intercontinental.com
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – Amenities
- Pool: 2 infinity pools, both facing the sea and with jacuzzis attached. The gigantic main pool between the lobby and ‘lagoonarium’ features 2 tiers, ‘islands’ of palms, and a ‘waterfall’. The second pool is more for those staying at nearby above-water bungalows (which is mostly adults) and has a swim-up bar.
- Spa: Deep Nature Spa Tahiti by Algotherm provides a wide selection of ‘marine beauty’ treatments and traditional massages. Also a steam bath and cold-water plunge pool.
- Fitness Center: Located next to the spa and open 24/7. Enjoy awesome views across to Moorea Island while on a running machine.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None in the rooms, but a jacuzzi is attached to both pools.
- Activities: Tennis courts and a water sports center, with kayaks, snorkeling gear, water-skiing, and jet-skiing, but nothing for free. Also, a jogging track and beach volleyball.
- For Families: Cultural shows and activities (such as basket-weaving). The artificial ‘lagoonarium’ offers safe snorkeling among a reef as well as fish-feeding.
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Te Tiare Restaurant – For breakfast and all-day dining. Lounge chairs, open kitchen, and themed buffet nights with entertainment. Popular among locals for the salad bar at lunch – except Sundays, when brunch is offered instead • Le Lotus Restaurant – Light lunches and gourmet dinners. Gorgeous and intimate setting, with some tables on a jetty above the water. French wines and a dress code. Lounge bar attached.
- Lounge/Bars: Tiki Bar – Alongside the main pool and next to Te Tiare. Snacks, happy hours, and live music most nights • Lotus Swim-Up Bar – At the second pool. Noisy, with some who never want to leave. Cocktails, champagne, juices, and imported beers • Lobby Bar Terrace – For aperitifs, champagne, and views of the pool and sea, but not as appealing as the other options. Light meals and open 24 hours.
- Breakfast: Not always included; depends on the type of booking made.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Room • Superior Room • Panoramic Room • Junior Suite Overwater Lagoon Bungalow (and Superior version) • Junior Suite Overwater Motu Bungalow • Overwater Motu Villa Suite • Antarès Suite
- Smoking Rooms: Not allowed in the rooms, but permitted on the patios/balconies and in special public areas.
- Best Room: Although some suites are more spacious and swanky, it’s hard to ignore the secluded Overwater Motu Villa Suites. With eye-catching traditional Polynesian layout and décor, they feature massive sundecks/patios and full-length windows.
- For Families: Rooms easily fit in an extra single bed each, while suites and bungalows comfortably accommodate families of 4 without extra beds.
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
Despite proximity to the airport and downtown Pape’ete, the resort is surprisingly isolated, so there’s virtually nothing within walking distance. A few roulottes (food carts) usually set up after 5 pm along the road about 200m down from the main entrance. Otherwise, the excellent Carrefour Hypermarket 1.5 km south down the main road offers a fabulous selection of takeaway food. There are also a few casual cafés in the attached mall area, but for lunch only.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- About 1.5 km south down the main road, the huge Carrefour supermarket sells everything anyone could possibly want – and more.
Buses stop every hour or so outside the main entrance of the resort on the way to Pape’ete (sometimes via the airport entrance). There are more buses in the morning, far fewer in the afternoons, and none on Sundays. Otherwise, arrange a taxi (unmetered) at reception, but rates are extortionate.
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – The Hotel
All Tahiti Hotel Reviews
- Aimeo Lodge – Closed
- Fare D’hôtes Tutehau
- Hôtel Fenua Mata’i’oa
- Hotel Hibiscus
- Hotel Kaveka
- Hotel Les Tipaniers
- Hotel Sarah Nui
- Hotel Tahiti Nui
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa – Closed
- Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea
- Moorea Beach Lodge
- Moorea Fare Miti – Closed
- Moorea Island Beach Hotel
- Pension de la Plage
- Royal Tahitien
- Sofitel Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort
- Tahiti Surf Beach Paradise
- Taoahere Beach House
- Te Ora Hau Ecolodge