Fare D’hôtes Tutehau – The best budget-priced option in the city.
For anyone wishing to avoid impersonal and overpriced hotels, this is the finest of the many family-run homestays around the capital. The heavy security gates (an indication of the unsavory neighborhood) open to an enchanting garden of palms and chairs. The affable hostess provides a handful of rooms clustered around the communal kitchen, dining room, and lounge area. Two rooms have shared bathrooms which are clean, spacious, and modern, while a couple feature private facilities as impressive as a three-star hotel double the price. But it is inconvenient: more than a kilometer from downtown via a suburban area that could become unsavory at night (so take a bus or taxi after dark). Otherwise, value is guaranteed and the vibe is very agreeable.
Fare D’Hôtes Tutehau – The Basics
- Location: 186 Avenue du Chef Vaira’atoa in the Fari’ipiti suburb of Pape’ete, the Tahitian capital. About 1 km from the ferry terminal for services to Moorea, 1.5 km from downtown, and 8 km from the airport.
- Guests: Ideal for anyone traveling on a budget and wishing to avoid overpriced hotels.
- Beach: No beach in downtown Pape’ete. The nearest is at Pīra’e, another suburb about 2 km away. Ask reception about local buses, or organize a taxi (unmetered).
- Views: The cheaper rooms look straight into a wall, while the better ones feature views of the garden.
- Wi-Fi: Free for all guests throughout the rooms and grounds.
- Parking: Enough free parking spots in a secured area behind the gates.
- Nice perks: Free rental of bicycles.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (689) 40 82 65 56
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: faredhotestutehau.com
Fare D’Hôtes Tutehau – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this type of budget-priced lodge.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Fare D’Hôtes Tutehau – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: A budget-priced lodge like this will not have a restaurant or bar.
- Breakfast: Unusually, breakfast is included in all rates. A communal kitchen is also available for guests.
- Room Service: Not expected or provided.
Fare D’Hôtes Tutehau – Rooms
- Room Types: 1 Double Room with private bathroom • 2 Double Rooms with shared facilities 8 1 Family Room for up to 5 people, with a private bathroom. (Using the air-conditioning rather than just the ceiling fan costs extra.)
- Smoking Rooms: Not permitted in the rooms, but guests can smoke away in the gardens.
- Best Room: The Family Room is the best position: spacious, lovingly decorated, and a little distant from the shared bathroom and lounge area.
Fare D’Hôtes Tutehau – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
A poor choice because of its suburban location, but from about 5 pm every afternoon a few roulottes (food carts) are set up in nearby streets.
- Henriette Molinaro – Patisserie and bistro with fine-dining almost next to the lodge.
- Le Jasmin – Authentic and casual Chinese café. On a corner about 600m down the road.
- Tahiti Nui hotel – Home to Le Velvet Restaurant, for fine-dining, silver service, and French cuisine, and the Chocco Latte Lounge Bar, for imported beers and unique cocktails. On Avenue du Prince Hīnoi, about 800m towards the esplanade.
- Les 3 Brasseurs – Microbrewery, street-side seating, and pub-style meals. Very popular for sports on TV, tapas, burgers, and pizzas. On the other side of the roundabout from the Bora Bora.
- Bora Bora Lounge – At the start of a delightful alley of Parisienne-style bistros and bars almost opposite the ferry terminal, about 1 km away. Happy hours, daily specials, and pleasingly affordable considering the perfect setting.
- Le Rétro – Likable bistro midway along the esplanade, 1.5 km from the lodge. Very French and très popular for coffee, shakes, and light meals. Ideal for people-watching, and live music late into the night.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Two huge supermarkets are along Avenue du Prince Hīnoi, a block south of the lodge.
Ask the amiable hostess about buses to downtown. Don’t walk along the suburban streets near the lodge at night. Take a taxi or perhaps, try a rented bicycle from the lodge.
Fare D’Hôtes Tutehau – The Hotel
All Tahiti Hotel Reviews
- Aimeo Lodge – Closed
- Hôtel Fenua Mata’i’oa
- Hotel Hibiscus
- Hotel Kaveka
- Hotel Les Tipaniers
- Hotel Sarah Nui
- Hotel Tahiti Nui
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa – Closed
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
- Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea
- Moorea Beach Lodge
- Moorea Fare Miti – Closed
- Moorea Island Beach Hotel
- Pension de la Plage
- Royal Tahitien
- Sofitel Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort
- Tahiti Surf Beach Paradise
- Taoahere Beach House
- Te Ora Hau Ecolodge