Moorea Beach Lodge – Colonial-style charm with a tranquil seaside setting.
The bungalows are sprinkled around a beautiful garden dominated by a gigantic banyan tree. This towers above the delightful terrace/bar/lounge with wooden shutters, thatched ceilings, and unstained furniture. All bungalows are semi-detached and identical inside, either facing the garden or sea. (The exception is the Honeymoon Special, which is separate, offers more privacy, and provides optimal sea views.) Each bungalow features a wooden sundeck and a sofa which could convert to another double bed. Nonetheless, the attractions are ample: charming beachside setting with a slice of silvery sand; free rental of bicycles, kayaks, and snorkeling gear; and a restaurant-standard kitchen/bar which guests are welcome to use outside of breakfast hours.
Moorea Beach Lodge – The Basics
- Location: On the southern edge of Hauru village along the northwest coast of Moorea Island. About 600m from the center of Hauru, 28 km from the airport, and 30 km from the ferry terminal for services to Tahiti.
- Guests: Almost all guests are couples, often older travelers, who appreciate the relaxed setting.
- Beach: The sliver of white sand in front is perfect for sunbathing and swimming, and large enough for the limited number of guests.
- Views: About a third of the bungalows directly face the sea, often only 10m away, while the others overlook the pleasant gardens.
- Wi-Fi: Free for guests throughout.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking behind the front gates.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (689) 87 23 33 25
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: mooreabeachlodge.com
Moorea Beach Lodge – Amenities
- Pool: Perhaps a little surprisingly, there is no pool.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this sort of boutique lodge.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
- Activities: Free rental of bicycles, kayaks, and snorkeling gear.
Moorea Beach Lodge – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The excellent kitchen – the sort found in an upmarket restaurant – is only used to serve breakfast to guests who have arranged this. Guests can use the kitchen and bar at other times for their own purposes.
- Breakfast: Not always included; depends on the type of booking. The delicious cooked breakfast with fruit and croissants is certainly worth paying for.
- Room Service: Not provided, with no restaurant onsite.
Moorea Beach Lodge – Rooms
- Room Types: Garden Bungalow • Beach Bungalow • 1 Honeymoon Bungalow • 1 Family House
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or public areas, but OK on the beach and in the gardens.
- Best Room: Although the same size, layout ,and décor as the others, the Beach Bungalows are worth booking for the location: facing the sand barely 5m away.
Moorea Beach Lodge – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
A decent selection in Hauru village, with some providing free transfers. The places below are within 700m north up the road:
- Le Lézard Jaune Café – Classy bistro in a home with tasting menus and Tahitian food. Lounge bar, children’s meals, and free transfers.
- Le Coco D’isle – Hugely popular despite (or because of) the sandy floor. Tahitian, French, and Chinese food, as well as pizza. Evenings only and takeaways available.
- Le Sunset – Open-air and colorful setting facing the sea. A French chef who also offers Italian cuisine and local specialties. At the Hotel Hibiscus.
- La Plantation – At the Sofitel hotel. French and Tahitian cuisine as well as pasta, vegetarian meals, and a long list of desserts. Children’s menu, all-day dining, happy hours, and free transfers.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- There are a few convenience stores in the village about 500m to the north.
No public transport around Moorea Island, but 4 or 5 buses run daily between Hauru village and the ferry terminal (but not the airport) to tie in with arrivals/departures. Ask the reception for details. The village is close enough to walk. Further afield, hitch a ride, organize an unmetered taxi, or rent a car/motorbike.
Moorea Beach Lodge – The Hotel
All Tahiti Hotel Reviews
- Aimeo Lodge – Closed
- Fare D’hôtes Tutehau
- Hôtel Fenua Mata’i’oa
- Hotel Hibiscus
- Hotel Kaveka
- Hotel Les Tipaniers
- Hotel Sarah Nui
- Hotel Tahiti Nui
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa – Closed
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
- Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea
- Moorea Fare Miti – Closed
- Moorea Island Beach Hotel
- Pension de la Plage
- Royal Tahitien
- Sofitel Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort
- Tahiti Surf Beach Paradise
- Taoahere Beach House
- Te Ora Hau Ecolodge