The Oberoi, New Delhi – Recently refurbished, now with even more elegance, luxury, and charisma.
The first and still the favorite among the Delhi-based founders of the Oberoi chain, this wonderful hotel has been completely upgraded. Iconic and much-loved all over the city, it offers refinement and opulence without the ostentatiousness and indulgence found at rivals. Even the lowest-category rooms are very attractively designed, while those in the mid-range feature a colorful décor, prints of old Delhi, spacious sitting areas, and bathrooms the size of most hotel bedrooms. And unlike many Delhi hotels, all rooms and suites have full-length windows which provide extensive views across the golf course and tree-lined streets of New Delhi.
The Oberoi, New Delhi – The Location
- Address: Dr. Zakir Hussain Marg (road), in the inner southern suburbs.
- Nearest Metro: Khan Market metro station is about 1.5 km away.
- Area: Alongside the golf course. On the edge of chaotic Old Delhi and New Delhi (built as the Indian capital by British colonialists with wide, clean, and shady streets). Nothing for tourists in the immediate area, and some homeless and beggars loiter within 200m of the main entrance.
- How to Get There: From the airport, take the shuttle bus to the Aerocity metro station. Go to the New Delhi metro station and then get a connection to the Khan Market station (about 1.5 km from the hotel). Otherwise, a taxi (unmetered) to/from the airport will take about 30-45 minutes (20 km).
- Handy to: Golf Course.
The Oberoi, New Delhi – The Basics
- Guests: Most are business people and government officials (including Presidents), but the hotel caters well for tourists.
- Views: Excellent from all rooms. Some on the lower floors may overlook the pool more than the gardens and trees, but all on the upper floors overlook the golf course or tree-lined streets.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected or provided at a historic city hotel like this in Delhi.
- Extras: Yoga lessons each morning.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)11 2436 3030
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: oberoihotels.com
The Oberoi, New Delhi – Amenities
- Pools: Two pools. One outdoors and fairly large. The other is indoors, temperature-controlled, attached to the fitness center, and mainly for laps.
- Spa: The Oberoi Spa is extraordinary: so refined, with aromatic incense wafting throughout. Wide range of treatments from India and Asia, as well as a sauna, indoor pool, and free yoga lessons.
- Fitness Center: Huge and open 24 hours, with all the latest equipment. Personal trainers available.
- Other Facilities: 24-hour Business Center with library and meeting rooms. Shopping arcade of luxury boutiques. Cash machine.
The Oberoi, New Delhi – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Threesixty – Main restaurant where buffet breakfast is served. Buffets also at lunch, and a la carte all day. • Omya – Exquisite and contemporary Indian cuisine by Michelin-rated chef. Vibrant setting and tasting menus to die for. Extensive wine cellar shared with Threesixty. • Oberoi Patisserie & Delicatessen – gourmet delights, with world-class pastries, breads, cakes, and coffee. • Baoshuan – On the rooftop and super-classy. Innovative Chinese, with tasting menus from across China’s many provinces.
- Bars: The Club Bar – Classic meeting place with lots of charm. Through a secret entrance is the exclusive Cigar Lounge. • Cirrus9 – New and trendy bar on the rooftop for sunsets and views. Wood fires in winter, with seats inside and out. Open from sunset, and meals available.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but check when booking.
- Room Service: Available 24/7. Many rooms and all suites feature a red ‘Butler Button’ providing access to a butler any time.
The Oberoi, New Delhi – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Luxury Rooms • Premier Rooms • Premier Plus Rooms • Oberoi Suites • Deluxe Suites • Luxury Suites • Kohinoor Suite (1 only) • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or most of the hotel. Dedicated smoking areas available.
- Best Room: The 1-only Kohinoor Suite is fit for Presidents. Luxury that must be seen to be believed, including study, gym, therapy room, and unparalleled views.
- For Families: All rooms and suites are large enough for an extra single bed, while some have connecting doors.
The Oberoi, New Delhi – Local Transport
- Walking: Almost nothing worthwhile within walking distance, but most footpaths in the area are clean, shady, and pleasant to wander about.
- Public Transport: The Delhi Metro is quick, reliable, and excellent value. The closest metro station is at Khan Market, about 1.5 km away.
- Taxis & Rickshaws: Taxis are white, poorly-signed, and surprisingly hard to find. None will use a meter, and all are overpriced. Best arranged through the hotel. Also available are Uber and Ola. Contrastingly, auto-rickshaws are everywhere.
The Oberoi, New Delhi – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Virtually nothing within walking distance.
- The Lodhi – This upmarket hotel is down the road, then right at the roundabout. It offers: Indian Accent (award-winning innovative Indian cuisine), Lodhi Bakery (pastries and chocolates), and Elan (courtyard setting, bar, and long menu with European food). (800m).
A better idea is to take an auto-rickshaw to Khan Market (3 km, see below). The first 3 places are very close to each other along a back lane.
- The Beer Café – Wine, beer, tapas, and Western food. Prominent corner position with upstairs viewing.
- L’opera – Very tempting patisserie for cakes, sandwiches, and coffee.
- Punjab Grill – Friendly, good value, and authentic food.
And these 3 are clustered in corner, also at Khan Market:
- Smokey’s BBQ & Grill – All sorts of meats grilled to perfection. Equally popular for draft beer and live music.
- Wok in the Clouds – Authentic street-food in a very stylish setting. Also Thai, Chinese, and European food. Bar attached.
- La Vie – Another restaurant with surprisingly chic décor. Renowned for pizza and other Italian dishes. Daily specials.
Nearby Shops & Markets
- No shops nearby, so get an auto-rickshaw to Khan Market. This is an extended area of narrow lanes brimming with better-than-normal shops and restaurants, but there is no real street market as such. Now a major attraction, Khan Market is seedy in places but does offer some well-known outlets too, such as Starbucks and Subway. (3 km).
- The Delhi Golf Club is historic and opulent. The 18 holes are part of the Asian PGA Tour, and there’s another 9-hole course, too. The gates are only 250m up the road.
The Oberoi, New Delhi – The Hotel
All Delhi Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions
- Andaz Delhi
- B Nineteen Luxury Hotel
- Holiday Inn New Delhi International Airport
- Hyatt Regency Delhi
- Ibis New Delhi Aerocity Hotel
- The Imperial New Delhi
- La Sagrita
- The LaLiT New Delhi
- Le Méridien New Delhi
- The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel
- The Leela Palace New Delhi
- Lemon Tree Premier, Delhi Airport
- The Lodhi
- Pride Plaza Hotel Aerocity
- Radisson Blu Marina Hotel Connaught Place
- Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel
- Taj Mahal, New Delhi
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai