Grand Pacific Hotel – Unparalleled colonial charm and convenient seaside location.
Built in 1914, then abandoned, renovated, and reopened a century later, the GPH (as it’s affectionately known) is such a Fijian landmark that it features on the ten-dollar note. Luminaries such as Noel Coward, W Somerset Maugham, and James Michener have stayed in the handful of Heritage Rooms in the original building. They feature dark soothing colors, plush curtains, photos of old Suva, and push-open double doors leading to the broad (shared) balcony facing the sports ground across the road. Even more opulent is the Queen Elizabeth Suite named after the royal guest who visited in 1953. Most rooms, however, are in the new wings, which don’t maintain the same historical character, but are still very stylish. And all this luxury and grace is only ten minutes on foot from the city center, with several stylish cafés nearby.
Grand Pacific Hotel – The Basics
- Location: On Victoria Parade in Suva, on the main island of Viti Levu. In the southern part of the city center, facing the harbor and surrounded by colonial-era buildings and parks. About 1.5 km from the bus station in the city center and 35 minutes by taxi from the airport.
- Guests: Particularly good for families and suitable for anyone who enjoys history. Probably not the best for younger groups on holidays.
- Beach: Although it faces Suva Bay, there is no beach in the city. The nearest is at Pacific Harbour, about 50 km to the west, and not too far for a day trip by bus.
- Views: The Club Rooms offer direct sea views, while others in the newer wings are angled for harbor views. Other rooms face the gardens or street (with very good sound-proofing).
- WiFi: Complimentary throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Free parking, with valet service also available for a fee.
- Nice Perks: Welcome drink and (sometimes) a free 10-minute foot massage.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (679) 322 2000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: grandpacifichotel.com.fj
Grand Pacific Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: Long, inviting, and facing the sea.
- Spa: Day Spa offers massages, with soothing music and a romantic setting, sauna room, and jacuzzi.
- Fitness Center: Large, indoors, and fully-equipped.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None in the rooms, but there’s a jacuzzi in the Day Spa.
Grand Pacific Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Prince Albert – So sophisticated, with a colonial-style setting and silver service. To avoid eyebrow-raising prices, check out the weekly specials. Famous for its desserts. Dress up, and dinner only. • Levuka Restaurant – More affordable all-day dining with a Pacific flavor and buffet breakfast (open to the public) inside or along the terrace. Live entertainment on weekends.
- Lounges/Bars: Na Toba Pool Bar – Facing the sea and offering delicious cocktails and superb sunsets. Snacks and meals available. • Victoria Lounge – In the Heritage Building for special hotel guests. Old-world charm and drinks with canapés. • Steamship Bar – Elegant cocktail bar with seats inside or on the breezy terrace for sea views. • Grand High Tea – On the balcony of the old building, with serenading musicians. Sundays only and bookings essential. • GPH Bakery – Cute Parisienne-style café. Street-side at the entrance. Pastries, juices, and coffee on wrought-iron tables.
- Breakfast: Buffet breakfast is included if booked directly with the hotel. Otherwise, the cost is not exorbitant. Served in the old-world Victoria Lounge for those staying in the Heritage Building.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours, including breakfast delivered to rooms if ordered the night before.
Grand Pacific Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Heritage Room • Royal Suite • 1 Queen Elizabeth Suite • Grand Pacific Park View Room • Grand Pacific Superior Room • Grand Pacific Premier Room • Grand Pacific Club Room
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but permitted on the balconies.
- Best Room: The Queen Elizabeth Suite, named after the former guest who visited in 1953 shortly after becoming queen, is opulent, spacious, and historic. It features a dining/conference table and corner location for double the sea views.
- For families: Babysitting services available. Many rooms and suites have connecting doors, and the management is happy to configure rooms so families can stay for a low price.
Grand Pacific Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Sirocco – Classy airy bistro at the Holiday Inn, next door. Great for buffet lunches.
- Daikoku – Serves scintillating Japanese. Renowned and popular, a 5-minute walk up Victoria Parade.
- Ginger Kitchen – Open-air garden setting at the Fiji Museum, with juices, quiches, pancakes, and light lunches. Also, breakfast. Back of Thurston Gardens, on the other side of the road from the hotel.
- Yellow Chilli – Always busy for delicious Indian food. Small and unassuming. On Carnarvon Street, 400m north of the hotel.
- Café Noir – Comparatively classy Mediterranean-style bistro for wraps, baguettes, and light meals. About 600m up Victoria Parade.
- Tiko’s Floating Restaurant – In a boat attached to Ratu Sukuna Park in the city center, 1 km up Victoria Parade. For seafood, steaks, live music, and a unique setting.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Several minimarts along Victoria Parade are within a short walk. About 1 km up Victoria Parade to the city center for malls and markets.
- Local buses leave from outside the hotel entrance every few minutes to the city center and main bus station for services all over the island. Otherwise, plenty of metered taxis around.
Grand Pacific Hotel – The Hotel
All Fiji Hotel Reviews
- Aquarius on the Beach
- Bedarra Beach Inn
- Club Fiji Resort
- Club Oceanus
- Fiji Gateway Hotel
- Five Princes Hotel
- Gecko’s Resort
- Grand West’s Villas
- Holiday Inn Suva
- Hotel Oasis
- Mercure Nadi
- Oasis Palms Hotel
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
- Quest Suva
- Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
- Ramada Suites Wailoaloa Beach Fiji
- Sandy Point Beach Cottages
- Shangri-La’s Fijian Resort & Spa
- Sheraton Fiji Resort
- Sheraton Denarau Villas
- Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
- Tanoa Plaza Hotel
- The Crow’s Nest Resort
- The Pearl South Pacific Resort
- Tokatoka Resort Hotel
- Tropic of Capricorn
- Uprising Beach Resort
- Wailoaloa Beach Resort
- Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa