SD › Fiji › Hotels › Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel Review
Updated: December 7, 2020
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel – Unpretentious and convenient, and very popular.
Squeezed between the ritzy suites at its sister resort (the Ramada) and a backpacker lodge, this midrange hotel is certainly better than most. All rooms are spacious and comfortable, with some Fijian crafts along the walls. Rooms in the main building with the lobby have a tropical feel and some boast perfect sea views from their balconies, although the café/bar is right below. Almost all rooms in the other building alongside face a neighboring hotel. The pool is close to the bar and popular, and features an interesting design, while the beach is narrow and gray. The key attraction is the location: halfway along the main strip at Wailoaloa Beach and surrounded by places to eat, drink, and shop.
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel – The Basics
- Location: Along Wasawasa Road, the only street in Wailoaloa Beach, on the main island of Viti Levu. About 8 km from the airport and 6 km from downtown Nadi.
- Guests: Overwhelmingly popular with young travelers, especially those in groups.
- Beach: Faces the sea. The entire beach along Wailoaloa is not for swimming or sunbathing, but certainly delightful for walks and sunsets. Also, the water is shallow for kayaking.
- Views: Only a handful of rooms face the sea, while a few overlook neighboring hotels, or the village or mountains.
- WiFi: Available to anyone in the lobby, bar, and restaurant area in the main building. Costs are reasonable for access in the rooms, but won’t work in the adjacent building.
- Parking: Ask the management about secure free parking nearby.
- Nice Perks: Free rental of kayaks and transfers to the airport.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (679) 672 6578
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: facebook.com/SmugglersCoveFiji
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: Smallish and always popular.
- Spa: The large and modern Island Surf Beauty & Spa provides pedicures, facials, and waxing, among other treatments, with the traditional bobo massage a specialty.
- Fitness Center: Guests can use the gym at the sister resort, the Ramada Suites next door, with permission.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this midrange resort.
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Ghostship Bar & Grill – Surprisingly classy, it’s spread between the lobby and beach, with seats in the bar, beside the pool, and meters from the sea. All-day dining and often live music. International menu includes Italian, Indian, Chinese, and Fijian. • Cove Café – In the adjacent building but still part of the hotel. For coffee, pastries, and sandwiches, though meals come from the Ghostship Bar & Grill next door. Popular beach club vibe, with lounge chairs facing the sea.
- Breakfast: A continental breakfast may be included in the rates, but often is not.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours, i.e. about 10.30 am to 9 pm.
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Premium Room • Oceanfront Balcony Room • Family Suite (It also offers beds in mixed and female-only dormitories and 1 wheelchair-friendly Room.)
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not permitted in any rooms or public areas, but allowed elsewhere.
- Best Room: Enhanced by the Fijian décor, the Oceanfront Balcony Rooms feature a more tropical feel than the Deluxe Rooms. The sea views are divine, although these rooms can suffer from the noise from the pool, café, and bar below.
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Aquarius on the Beach Restaurant – Fijian and Western food, with a different theme most nights, sometimes with dancing and live music. Set-priced meals are good value. About 50m up the street.
- Travellers Beach Café – In the Bamboo backpacker lodge at the northern end of the street, 100m away. Huge menu and a quality expected of an upmarket resort.
- Bitu Café – Attached to the above café. Sandwiches and shakes in a pleasant open-air setting.
- Beach Escape Chinese Restaurant (951 5244) – Unpretentious but authentic and tasty. Up Bavari Road, an easy-to-find side street, about 150m away.
- Awesome Grill – Friendly, alfresco setting for burgers, pastas, and salads. Bring your own booze. At the crossroads to the beach strip, about 250m away.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- A well-stocked mini-market is at the shopping center at the junction leading into Wailoaloa, opposite the Awesome Grill.
- Most tourists use taxis, but find (or order) one with a meter. Public buses and minibuses head to downtown Nadi every 15-30 minutes, via the shops and cafés along Queens Road.
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel – The Hotel
All Fiji Hotel Reviews
- Aquarius on the Beach
- Bedarra Beach Inn
- Club Fiji Resort
- Club Oceanus
- Fiji Gateway Hotel
- Five Princes Hotel
- Gecko’s Resort
- Grand Pacific Hotel
- Grand West’s Villas
- Holiday Inn Suva
- Hotel Oasis
- Mercure Nadi
- Oasis Palms Hotel
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
- Quest Suva
- Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
- Ramada Suites Wailoaloa Beach Fiji
- Sandy Point Beach Cottages
- Shangri-La’s Fijian Resort & Spa
- Sheraton Fiji Resort
- Sheraton Denarau Villas
- Tanoa Plaza Hotel
- The Crow’s Nest Resort
- The Pearl South Pacific Resort
- Tokatoka Resort Hotel
- Tropic of Capricorn
- Uprising Beach Resort
- Wailoaloa Beach Resort
- Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa
- Fiji Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Family Hotels in Fiji
- Where to Stay in Fiji
- Best Time to Visit Fiji
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter