Updated: July 22, 2018
Golden Port Hotel – Modern but garish, with convenience to the suburbs and downtown.
Featuring mustard-coloured walls and ostentatious columns and balustrades, this Chinese-run hotel is functional, well-priced and nicely-located, just an easy stroll from the centre of town and its fascinating suburbs. Views of the sea from the substantial balconies are impressive, and even the cheaper rooms offer agreeable ocean vistas. (Those facing the front would however, suffer from traffic noise, although the soundproofing is effective.) Furnishings are a little kitsch, e.g. wrought-iron table and chairs inside, and the décor is a tad unrefined, but it’s mostly about the locality and affordability. Substantial discounts are offered for longer stays, and unusually, there are single rooms at single rates. Other benefits include easy access by public transport, the excellent Chinese restaurant downstairs, and the casino opposite; not so, the lack of pool.
Golden Port Hotel – The Basics
- Location: Along Kumul (aka Lini) Highway, the road into Port Vila on the main island of Efate. About 800m up from the centre of Port Vila and 15 minutes’ drive from the airport.
- Guests: Welcomes anyone, but guests are likely to be business people and others looking for a longer stay.
- Beach: There is no public beach anywhere in or around Port Vila. The nearest beaches are along Pango Road, around the Breakas Beach Resort, about 4km south along the peninsula.
- Views: Almost all rooms have views of the sea, either directly or partially.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free and unlimited for guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Plenty of free and secure parking at the entrance.
- Phone: (678) 22375
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: n/a
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Golden Port Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: No pool, which is a little surprising, but there’s simply no space.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Golden Port Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Golden Port Restaurant on the ground floor is typically huge and charmless, but the views are spectacular and the choice extraordinary, including live crabs and other seafood to choose from.
- Breakfast: Breakfast is included, but not for heavily-discounted longer stays.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours, i.e. about 10am to 10pm.
Golden Port Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Queen Size Rooms • Single Rooms • Twin Rooms (some with Harbour Views) • Apartment Rooms (with 1 or 2 bedrooms); and Superior Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking not allowed in any rooms or the restaurant. Permitted elsewhere, but there isn’t a garden or beach to escape to.
- Best Room: Oversized and under-furnished, the Superior Suites do provide the finest views from the largest balconies.
Golden Port Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- The Blue Marlin Club (530 6299) – spectacular views, sunset cocktails and silver service. Tapas all day. Bookings advisable for dinner. Swimming pool for patrons. Only 150m up the main road.
Otherwise walk, or catch a minibus, to these places along the more convenient southern end of the main street through Port Vila:
- Au Péché Mignon – French-style deli, patisserie and café for ice cream, crêpes, baguettes and people-watching. 4-minute walk.
- Le Café du Village (27789) – Mediterranean-style bistro for coffee, breakfast and tasty snacks. Idyllic harbour-side setting, with an interesting changeable menu. Daily specials. 6-minute walk.
- Brewery Bar & Restaurant (28328) – tapas, burgers, pizzas and locally-brewed beers in a dominant street-side setting. 7-minute walk.
- Lava Lounge (26671) – remarkably classy for Port Vila. Happy hours, trendy DJs, do-it-yourself pizzas and swimming in the harbour. 7-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: Several supermarkets and grocery shops are dotted along the main road into and around Port Vila.
Every few seconds minibuses head to Port Vila and beyond. Hail one down from outside the entrance to the hotel carpark.
Golden Port Hotel – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Family Hotels in Vanuatu
- Angelfish Cove Villas – Review
- Aquana Beach Resort – Review
- Blue Marlin Lodge – Review
- Breakas Beach Resort – Review
- Chantilly’s on the Bay
- CoCo Beach Resort – Review
- Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Review
- Coconut Palms Resort – Review
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa – Review
- Grand Hotel and Casino – Review
- Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Review
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu – Review
- Mangoes Resort – Review
- The Melanesian Port Vila – Review
- Moorings Hotel – Review
- Nasama Resort – Review
- Paradise Cove Resort – Review
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon Resort – Review
- Ramada Resort Port Vila – Review
- Seachange Lodge – Review
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments – Review
- Tradewinds Villas – Review
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Review
- Vila Chaumières – Review