Home > The Melanesian Port Vila Review
Updated: January 10, 2021
The Melanesian Port Vila – Attractive, traditional, and midrange, with a beach resort feel in the suburbs.
Within walking distance of central Port Vila, but with a pleasant residential setting, this likable resort is popular with expat workers in the know. The square white buildings are modern, but the thatched passageways and guest lounge bursting with artifacts add to the Melanesian aura. Rooms face inwards, avoiding traffic noise, while many overlook the sparkling pool and the separate splash area for toddlers from full-length windows. Rooms are agreeably spacious and airy, with splashes of South Pacific in the art and linen – but some rooms only have overhead fans. All feature extra single beds, and apartments have kitchenettes. Bonuses are the tennis court and, for some, the onsite casino.
The Melanesian Port Vila – The Basics
- Location: On Rue de Picardi street, almost on the corner of the main road, Rue Dartois, in the suburbs of Port Vila on the main island of Efate. About 800m from downtown and 15 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Seems to focus mostly on business people, but pretty good for families, too.
- Beach: There is no public beach anywhere in or around Port Vila. The nearest beaches are along Pango Road, around the Breakas Beach Resort, about 4 km south along the peninsula.
- Views: All rooms face the gardens, pool, or quiet access road.
- Wi-Fi: Free for all guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking at the entrance.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 22150
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: melanesianportvila.com
The Melanesian Port Vila – Amenities
- Pool: Sizable and sparkling, with a separate children’s area attached.
- Spa & Fitness Center: The Eden Hair & Beauty Spa offers a modest array of the usual treatments.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of midrange resort.
- Activities: The tennis court is a surprise.
The Melanesian Port Vila – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Le Melanesian Restaurant – ‘Pacific fusion cuisine’, with barbecues and buffet nights featuring entertainment. Recently revamped as the Ristorante Casa Mia, a classy Italian bistro with an extensive wine list • Oasis Bar & Grill – Casual and poolside, with a cheerful Melanesian ambience. Cocktails, happy hours, and buffets with entertainment several times a week • Jungle Bar at 21 – Drinking, gambling, and free tasting of kava (a strong alcoholic drink).
- Breakfast: Substantial continental buffet breakfast is included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 7 am to 9 pm.
The Melanesian Port Vila – Rooms
- Room Types: Orchid Room • Orchid Superior Room • The Melanesian Suite • Hibiscus Studio Room (with kitchen but fan only) • Hibiscus Apartment (with 1 bedroom) • Bougainvillea Apartment with 1 or 2 bedrooms (and fan only)
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms or public areas.
- Best Room: The Orchid Superior Rooms are along the top floor, offering optimal views and the greatest distance from the pool and bar, which can get noisy. They feature gorgeous hardwood furniture, extended balconies, and air-conditioning (some other rooms only have fans).
- For families: An extra single bed already in most rooms.
The Melanesian Port Vila – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Golden Port Restaurant – In the Golden Port Hotel, about 200m away at the top of Rue de Picardi street. Cavernous, with dazzling views and astonishing variety.
- The Blue Marlin Club – Spectacular views, sunset cocktails, and silver service. Bookings advisable for dinner, and a swimming pool for patrons. Only 350m south along the main road that heads into Port Villa.
- Spice – Classy Indian, with lunchtime specials, children’s menu, and vegetarian meals. About 500m south along Elluk Road.
- Navara Restaurant – Wide range of meals, including steak, lobster, and pasta. Try the Vanuatu Tapas. In the Coconut Palms Resort, about 800m north up Rue Dartois road.
- Le Café du Village – Idyllic Mediterranean-style bistro alongside the harbor. Coffee, tasty snacks, and an appealing changeable menu. About 700m north along the main road through Port Vila.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Several grocery stores are within walking distance along Rue Dartois road. The massive Au Bon Marché supermarket is at the roundabout, about 500m south along the same road.
Public minibuses pass by along the main road, Rue Dartois, into Port Vila and beyond every few seconds.
The Melanesian Port Vila – The Hotel
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Grand Hotel and Casino
- Hideaway Island Resort
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu
- Moorings Hotel
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort