SD › Vanuatu Hotels › Grand Hotel & Casino Review
Updated: January 7, 2021
Grand Hotel and Casino – Central, high-rise, and business-oriented.
Grand in size and location, Vanuatu’s tallest building dominates the harbor skyline. All facing the water and enticing resort on Iririki Island, the standard rooms are a little compact and seem stuck in the 1970s. Far better, the Panorama Suites on the higher floors feature extensive floor-to-ceiling windows, sizable balconies, and some modern art. The resort-style pool is first-rate and also offers outstanding harbor views. Popular among some guests just for the in-house casino, the only multi-star hotel in the capital has been around a while – and looks it – but is very convenient.
Grand Hotel and Casino – The Basics
- Location: In the center of Port Vila, on the main island of Efate. Along Kumul (aka Lini) Highway, the main road through town. About 15 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Seems to cater mostly for business people.
- Beach: There is no public beach in or around Port Vila. The nearest serviceable beaches are around the Breakas Beach Resort, about 5km along the peninsula from the town center.
- Views: All rooms offer magnificent views of the harbor and island.
- Wi-Fi: Available for free to all guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: In one word: terrible. The downtown location means almost no off-street parking.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 28882
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: grandvanuatu.com
Grand Hotel and Casino – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is a decent size – the sort expected at a resort, not a city hotel.
- Spa: The Arom’essence Spa, alongside the pool, offers extensive treatments at reasonable prices. Serene and classy layout, with some rooms providing harbor views.
- Fitness Center: None, perhaps surprisingly.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this city-style hotel.
Grand Hotel and Casino – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Crystals Restaurant – Relaxed setting for breakfast and all-day dining. Excellent service, daily specials, buffet nights, and superb views. Hard to ignore the stir-fries, steaks, or seafood • Cabana Pool Bar – Faces the harbor. For drinks, snacks, light lunches, and all-day tapas. Live music on weekends • Lobby Lounge Bar – For high-rollers from the casino. Snacks and pastries as well as coffee, cocktails, and cakes.
- Breakfast: Some rates include a substantial continental buffet breakfast.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Grand Hotel and Casino – Rooms
- Room Types: Harbour View Room • Deluxe Harbour View Room • Panorama Suite • Harbour Suite • Penthouse Suite
- Smoking Rooms: All rooms are non-smoking, but lighting up is permitted on the balconies.
- Best Room: On the top floor, the Penthouse Suites feature extensive full-length windows across several walls, so the views are arguably the best on the island. With 2 bedrooms, a bar counter, and elongated balcony, the décor is likably funky and brightly-colored.
- For families: Some rooms have connecting doors, while others can squeeze in extra single beds.
Grand Hotel and Casino – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
There’s a great choice within a short stroll along the main road through Port Vila:
- Brewery Bar & Restaurant – Imposing street-side location directly opposite the hotel. For tapas, burgers, wraps, and local beers.
- Le Café du Village – Idyllic Mediterranean-style bistro alongside the harbor. Coffee, breakfast, tasty snacks, and an interesting changeable menu with daily specials. Virtually next door to the Grand.
- Lava Lounge – On the other side of the hotel. Gorgeous waterside setting, with gourmet pizzas, happy hours, tapas, signature cocktails, and super-cool DJs on weekends. Step into the water from the private jetty.
- Chill – Upstairs at the market for views and tasty food. Pricey, with more affordable lunchtime specials. Family-friendly and popular for pizzas, pasta, and steaks. Children’s menu available.
- The Rossi Restaurant – Elegant Italian-style bistro, with a garden setting, sea views, and a tiny playground. About 800m to the north.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- There are plenty of shops along the main road through the town center.
Everything in Port Vila is within an easy walk, and every second vehicle seems to be a public minibus.
Grand Hotel and Casino – The Hotel
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Hideaway Island Resort
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu
- Moorings Hotel
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Melanesian Port Vila
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu
- Where to Stay in Vanuatu
- Best Time to Visit Vanuatu
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter