Updated: July 23, 2018
Grand Hotel and Casino – Central, high-rise and business-oriented, but needs updating.
Grand in size and location, Vanuatu’s tallest building dominates the harbour skyline. All facing the water and enticing resort on Iririki Island, the standard rooms are a little undersized and seem stuck in the 1970s. Far better, the Panorama Suites on the higher floors feature extensive floor-to-ceiling windows, a sizeable balcony and some strange modern art. The resort-style pool is first-rate (despite the artificial grass) and also offers outstanding harbour views. Popular among some guests just for the in-house casino, the only multi-star hotel in the capital has been around a while – and looks it – but is very convenient.
Grand Hotel and Casino – The Basics
- Location: In the centre of Port Vila, on the main island of Efate. Along Kumul (aka Lini) Highway, the main road through town. About 15 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Seems to cater mostly for business people.
- Beach: There is no public beach in or around Port Vila. The nearest serviceable beaches are around the Breakas Beach Resort, about 5km along the peninsula from the town centre.
- Views: All rooms offer magnificent views of the harbour and island.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Available for free to all guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: In one word: terrible. The downtown location means almost no off-street parking.
- Phone: (678) 28882
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.grandvanuatu.com/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Grand Hotel and Casino – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is a decent size; the sort expected at a resort not a city hotel.
- Spa: The Arom’essence Spa (22443), alongside the pool, offers extensive treatments at reasonable prices. Serene and classy layout, with some rooms providing harbour views.
- Fitness Center: None, perhaps surprisingly.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this outdated city-style hotel.
Grand Hotel and Casino – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Crystals Restaurant – relaxed setting for breakfast and all-day dining. Excellent service, daily specials, buffet nights and superb views. Hard to ignore the stir-fries, steaks or seafood • Cabana Pool Bar – faces the harbour. For drinks, snacks, light lunches and all-day tapas. Live music on weekends • Lobby Lounge Bar – for high-rollers from the casino. Snacks and pastries, as well as coffee, cocktails and cakes.
- Breakfast: Some rates include a substantial continental buffet breakfast.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Grand Hotel and Casino – Rooms
- Room Types: Harbour View Rooms • Deluxe Harbour View Rooms • Panorama Suites • Harbour Suites • Penthouse Suites
- Smoking Rooms: All rooms are non-smoking, but permitted on the balconies.
- Best Room: On the top floor, the Penthouse Suites feature extensive full-length windows across several walls, so the views are arguably the best on the island. With 2 bedrooms, a bar counter and elongated balcony, the décor is likeably funky and brightly-coloured.
- For families: Some rooms have connecting doors, while others can squeeze in an extra single bed.
Grand Hotel and Casino – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
There’s a great choice within a short stroll along the main road through Port Vila:
- Brewery Bar & Restaurant (28328) – imposing street-side location directly opposite the hotel. For tapas, burgers, wraps and local beers. 1-minute walk.
- Le Café du Village (27789) – idyllic Mediterranean-style bistro alongside the harbour. Coffee, breakfast, tasty snacks and an interesting changeable menu, with daily specials. Virtually next door to the Grand. 1-minute walk.
- Lava Lounge (26671) – on the other side of the hotel. Gorgeous waterside setting, with gourmet pizzas, happy hours, tapas, signature cocktails and super-cool DJs on weekends. Step into the water from the private jetty. 1-minute walk.
- Chill (22578) – upstairs at the market for views and tasty food. Pricey, with more affordable lunchtime specials. Family-friendly and popular for pizzas, pasta and steaks. Children’s menu available. 2-minute walk.
- Au Péché Mignon – French-style deli, patisserie and café. Street-side tables for ice cream, crêpes, baguettes and people-watching. About 200m south. 3-minute walk.
- The Rossi Restaurant (29661) – elegant Italian-style bistro, with a garden setting, sea views and tiny playground. About 800m to the north. 10-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: There are plenty of shops along the main road through the town centre.
Everything in Port Vila is within an easy walk, while every second vehicle seems to be a public minibus.
Grand Hotel and Casino – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Family Hotels in Vanuatu
- Angelfish Cove Villas – Review
- Aquana Beach Resort – Review
- Blue Marlin Lodge – Review
- Breakas Beach Resort – Review
- Chantilly’s on the Bay
- CoCo Beach Resort – Review
- Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Review
- Coconut Palms Resort – Review
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa – Review
- Golden Port Hotel – Review
- Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Review
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu – Review
- Mangoes Resort – Review
- The Melanesian Port Vila – Review
- Moorings Hotel – Review
- Nasama Resort – Review
- Paradise Cove Resort – Review
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon Resort – Review
- Ramada Resort Port Vila – Review
- Seachange Lodge – Review
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments – Review
- Tradewinds Villas – Review
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Review
- Vila Chaumières – Review